Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
Turbodog

Drives: 2010 Camaro
First Experience with Zaino - Not Great!

With so many endorsements from members of this forum, I was convinced that Zaino would be the best product for my new black 2SS. So, I purchased the $84 kit that includes clay, Z7 wash, Z5 swirl remover, Z2 polish, ZFX accelerator and Z6 spray gloss enhancer. I purchased and received this prior to delivery of my car, and while waiting with great anticipation (you guys know what I mean) I read the Zaino instructions so many times that I almost memorized them. I finally got to use the system on the day that I took delivery. After refusing the complimentary dealer cleaning, I went home and began the whole Dawn, claybar, Z7 prep followed by the first coat of Z5 with ZFX accelerator.

Everything went very well until I started to remove the Z5. It was very difficult to remove. As instructed, I had used the material very sparingly (about 1/2 ounce) and waited over an hour. As I removed, it seemed that the material was not fully cured because it tended to smear somewhat. I finally got it all off with much rubbing and a little help from Z6. Then I was brave enough to try the Z2. Because of my Z5 experience I used even less Z2 with ZFX and applied very thin, but the result was the same. The material just would not set up. As per instructions I kept using the "finger drag" test to see if it was cured. After several hours, I gave up and started removing the residue. Again it was difficult, but obviously some of the polish had cured and remained on the surface because it did look and feel very nice.

I called Zaino to see if perhaps I had a bad batch of ZFX or something, but they just insisted that I must be applying too much polish. I explained that I had used less than indicated in the instructions. Anyway, I decided to try again on the following weekend to apply another coat of Z2. This time I applied the polish on Friday evening and waited until Saturday to remove. I used only 1/3 ounce of Z2 with ZFX. It was so thin, I had difficulty detecting where polish was and was not. In spite of the thin coat and long waiting period, the material still would not pass the finger drag test. It tended to smear and was difficult to remove.

I am in New Orleans and the humidity is always high, but I did this in an air conditioned garage. At one point I tried backing the car out and let it sit in the hot sun, but that didn’t work either. Again, after removing the residue the car looks and feels very good. I can definitely see the effects of the polish when I wash the car. However, I am now a shirt size larger after all of the rubbing and buffing that was necessary to use this product. And I know from reading other posts about Zaino that it is not supposed to be this difficult to remove. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Any suggestions?
Turbodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
CTS

Drives: 2021 Sierra Denali 6.2L/10sp CC 4WD
I tried Zaino a few years back on my 2005 CTS and decided then and there is was more work than it was worth. Its a product for those addicted to polishing/waxing IMO.
CTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
that's weird...hard to give you any help cause I don't know exactly how you did it..my first time with it it went on fine and came off easily?? sorry
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
I will stick to Meguiars liquid wax.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
I can't imagine the heat and humidity being much different between Houston and New Orleans.

When you mixed the ZFX with the Z5 and then with the Z2, how much polish did you put in the mixing bottle at a time?

Once you added the correct amount of ZFX (4-5 drops per ounce of polish) to the polish in the mixing bottle and shook it for the 90 seconds, did you let it sit for 5 minutes and then shake it again before using it?

I didn't have any issues with the ZFX-enabled Z5 and Z2 drying in under 30 minutes when I did my car a few weeks back. It was 95 degrees out and humid as hell that day too (I lost 3 pounds that day!).
Old 08-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
mwt18

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
What kind of towel are you using?

An orbital polisher will really cut down on the amount of elbow grease necessary and give a much 'deeper' looking shine. I use high quality microfiber bonnets and a $20 polisher from Home Depot.

The Z-6 helps remove smears, too.

I live in MS and can relate to the humidity issues. It definitely takes longer to set up in high humidity conditions (about an hour longer w/ ZFX for me).
mwt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
Turbodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
I can't imagine the heat and humidity being much different between Houston and New Orleans.

When you mixed the ZFX with the Z5 and then with the Z2, how much polish did you put in the mixing bottle at a time?

Once you added the correct amount of ZFX (4-5 drops per ounce of polish) to the polish in the mixing bottle and shook it for the 90 seconds, did you let it sit for 5 minutes and then shake it again before using it?

I didn't have any issues with the ZFX-enabled Z5 and Z2 drying in under 30 minutes when I did my car a few weeks back. It was 95 degrees out and humid as hell that day too (I lost 3 pounds that day!).
At first I put 1 ounce of Z5 and 4 drops ZFX and mixed as per instructions. I only used about half of the mixture and was planning to do a second coat until it took so long to get the first coat off. For the Z2 coats, I was trying to go even thinner; so I mixed about a third of an ounce with 2 drops ZFX.

You're right - if it sets in less than 30 minutes in Houston, it should do same here. At this point I can only assume that my ZFX is not doing what it supposed to??? Oh, and I competely understand about the 3 lbs.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
Turbodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwt18 View Post
What kind of towel are you using?

An orbital polisher will really cut down on the amount of elbow grease necessary and give a much 'deeper' looking shine. I use high quality microfiber bonnets and a $20 polisher from Home Depot.

The Z-6 helps remove smears, too.

I live in MS and can relate to the humidity issues. It definitely takes longer to set up in high humidity conditions (about an hour longer w/ ZFX for me).
I was using 100% cotton as recommended in the instructions. They were new soft white fluffy bath towels that I washed once prior to use. The Z6 worked great to help get the remaining residue and smears off. I didn't even consider using a buffer because others had commented about how easy it normally is to remove the Zaino. Maybe I'll have to rethink the buffer (or the Zaino) if I don't find another solution. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Hmm, your first batch of ZFX enabled Z5 should have worked just fine. That's exactly what I did - put in an ounce of Z5 and 4 drops of ZFX. Did 2 coats with it and both dried in under 30 minutes.

I wonder if Zaino would be willing to send you a new bottle of ZFX in exchange for the one you got?
Old 08-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #10
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodog View Post
At first I put 1 ounce of Z5 and 4 drops ZFX and mixed as per instructions. I only used about half of the mixture and was planning to do a second coat until it took so long to get the first coat off. For the Z2 coats, I was trying to go even thinner; so I mixed about a third of an ounce with 2 drops ZFX.

You're right - if it sets in less than 30 minutes in Houston, it should do same here. At this point I can only assume that my ZFX is not doing what it supposed to??? Oh, and I competely understand about the 3 lbs.
How full did you fill the bottle that comes with ZFX the first time? Half full? Remember those bottles hold 2 ounces. I've seen quite a few people fill the bottle up thinking they are 1 ounce bottles.

When you added ZFX did you squeeze the bottle or did you let it drip by itself? There has been several people on here that squeezed the bottle and put in 3-4 times the amount needed.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
mwt18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodog View Post
I was using 100% cotton as recommended in the instructions. They were new soft white fluffy bath towels that I washed once prior to use. The Z6 worked great to help get the remaining residue and smears off. I didn't even consider using a buffer because others had commented about how easy it normally is to remove the Zaino. Maybe I'll have to rethink the buffer (or the Zaino) if I don't find another solution. Thanks for your input.
Re: the towel, you might want to try a high quality microfiber next time. I've moved away from cotton entirely when it comes to car car (as have many others). They tend to smear and shed too much for me.

The instruction sheet that they send out with Zaino is ancient. The towels they recommend now and sell on their site are microfiber (and VERY nice, btw).

Still seems like something's not right with your ZFX though. Have you considered mixing up a small batch of Z2 or Z5 with ZFX and just let it sit and see if it will harden?
Old 08-13-2009, 04:05 PM   #12
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwt18 View Post
Re: the towel, you might want to try a high quality microfiber next time. I've moved away from cotton entirely when it comes to car car (as have many others). They tend to smear and shed too much for me.

The instruction sheet that they send out with Zaino is ancient. The towels they recommend now and sell on their site are microfiber (and VERY nice, btw).

Still seems like something's not right with your ZFX though. Have you considered mixing up a small batch of Z2 or Z5 with ZFX and just let it sit and see if it will harden?
Hmm. No they don't.

Under the instructions of Z-2

Quote:
Allow Z-2 PRO™ to haze (this should take 10-15 minutes in normal conditions), then by using a clean, 100% cotton, made in the USA towel to buff off Z-2 PRO™ and reveal the hidden beauty of your paint.
In the Faq section

Quote:
Q: What is the best way to remove the polish residue?

A: The safest way to remove the residue from your paint is with white, made in USA, 100% cotton name brand large bath towels, such as Cannon or FieldCrest. Get them in the bath section at any major department store. The towels that you find in auto parts stores, or the auto sections of the department stores are usually not made in the USA, and even though they may say they are 100% cotton, they are not. Anything other than 100% pure white cotton may scratch your paint finish.You should use white towels because the dyes in colored towels can leave a chemical residue on the paint, and cause streaking. Also, it's important to either remove the stitched borders from your towels, or keep the towels folded in a way that keeps the borders away from the paint. The borders(edges or designs) can scratch your paint, as they may not be 100% cotton.

Wash your towels in hot water, and with a liquid detergent, like liquid Tide, or ALL. Avoid using Powdered detergents, Bleach or any kind of Fabric softeners as these products will leave a chemical residue on your towels that will cause streaking and scratching.
And the towels they sell are 100% cotton.

As for microfiber

Quote:
Q: Are Micro-Fiber products safe to use?

A: Zaino has been testing various Micro-Fiber products. Unfortunately, the jury is still out on them. Some of them are excellent and do not scratch. Others are terrible and definitely scratch. The quality control of these products from overseas, especially Korea, is not consistent, so you never know if they will be the same scratch-free quality. Even when using the same brand, we found the quality to be inconsistent. For now, we do not recommend using them. However, lab testing is ongoing, and we will post an update when we have more conclusive results.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:49 PM   #13
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
It sounds like you put it on waaaay too thick,with ounce i put three coats on my Camaro and still had enough for a 4th and then some.Also the humidity in New Orleans is god awful , I would have waited at least 2 hours before trying to remove it.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #14
mwt18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Hmm. No they don't.

Under the instructions of Z-2

In the Faq section

And the towels they sell are 100% cotton.

As for microfiber
The Zaino's aren't exactly the quickest when it comes to updating product information. e.g. they still put 'NEW' on Z2Pro even though it came out almost 5 years ago.

I assure you the towels are microfiber (polyester) and are superior to cotton in many ways, which I won't get into.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...eleased-3.html