Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Question about noise with OBX LT header

For those of you that have OBX long tube header installed do you experience what sound like a clicking noise coming mostly towards from the passenger side only while driving? The clicking noise get louder and more pronounced the further you press down on the throttle but you can't hear it when the windows are down, just cracked, or during normal light driving. I checked for visual leaks only so far and I don't see any black shoot marks anywhere on the block/header connection area or what resemble a leak. I know the clicking noise been there since the first day I installed the headers but I don't really remember being this loud. I was thinking, maybe the clicking noise just sound like it got louder since now I drive with my windows up more often due to sometimes being cold or could it just be a pronounced lifter noise and obx just being a noisy header, but whatever the case might be I am really not liking this at all. It almost sound like I have a leak, or do I have a leak? or a crack somewhere? I hope not.

Can you guys with obx or other brand of long tube headers relate to this?
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
2010_camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I have a ticking sound outta mine on the drivers side. I thought i had an exhaust leak but after putting in on the rack and running it i dont have a leak. I just figure it was Injector fire echoing through the exhaust.
2010_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
I havn't noticed anything, but my radio is usually pretty loud.

I would think if you had any leak what so ever you would see soot. I had a couple of pin hole leaks in my exhaust that I noticed when we put the headers on, there was definately soot there and these things were tiny. Something you could hear would have to have soot in my opinion.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
bmorecam
Account Suspended

I usually drive with my windows down and my radio OFF lol. My exhaust note is my music to my ear oolie, do me a favor brother. The next time you jump in your car turn off everything and roll your windows up and while accelerating at different rpm listen to any noise coming from the engine and tell me if you notice any of what I am talking about.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
OOLIE

Old 10-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
OOLIE

I went out for about a 20 min drive. Tried the windows in different positions and went all over the rpm range. I couldn't hear anything like you are describing and nothing at all from the passenger side. I assume you checked everything is tight and not a vibration. Your flowmasters are going to be louder than my magnaflow, don't know if that could play a part.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
devildoc

Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
I had a clicking/tapping noise when I first put on my headers. My passenger header was touching the frame during turns, accel, decel and such.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #8
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildoc View Post
I had a clicking/tapping noise when I first put on my headers. My passenger header was touching the frame during turns, accel, decel and such.

Interesting. Something to certainly keep an eye out for as I install my headers next March.

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #9
bmorecam
Account Suspended

That is strange. Im gonna have to get under the car and really go through everything sometime before going back on the dyno. Definitely strange. Thanks for trying oolie.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:39 AM   #10
devildoc

Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
Interesting. Something to certainly keep an eye out for as I install my headers next March.

Thanks.
NP....that is why I'm still here The passenger lower bolts weren't torqed to specs (my bad, I was tired after working on it for 8hrs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
That is strange. Im gonna have to get under the car and really go through everything sometime before going back on the dyno. Definitely strange. Thanks for trying oolie.
I'm sure it is nothing serious man....You are smart about it. No soot around the header flange; and you can't hear anything under the hood while parked and running? Maybe someone can get in and slightly rev the engine with the hood up for you...possibly replicate it?
Old 10-16-2011, 12:56 AM   #11
KnightRiderSS
Voodoo Medicine Man

Drives: Black 2SS with RS package
My SS with OBX LTs does exactly what you describe...only around 1,200 rpm though... I can hear it plainly through the floorboards...no leaks found...
Old 10-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #12
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
SW LTs here. No in cabin clicking sound but when the hood is open I can hear it.

My mates told me that it is something common with all the LTs.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #13
bmorecam
Account Suspended

I know about the clicking noise that come from our engine but that is completely normal. This header noise is weird tho. I don't think is nothing major since I don't feel any loss in power or anything different. Plus this noise been there since the first day I installed the headers. The noise get more noticeable the colder the weather get and is only audible with the windows up and almost wot.

I also been thinking, maybe I am defining the sound wrong. I think the term flapping or tapping is more accurate? lol I don't know. I am very anal when it come to my car and things that I think that are abnormal. Maybe all this is just nothing and completely normal for long tube headers. Only experience I ever had similar with my own car was when I had the HKS bellmouth downpipe installed and that made tons of wooshing and different noises, but that was also on a turbo. I get something similar what sound like turbo spooling with these headers on my camaro too.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #14
OOLIE

I understand the swooshing of air sound. I definately hear that, I just assumed that was with all LT's.