Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
skirush

Drives: 2013 1LS
Muffler delete, then Straight Pipes with a v6??

I live in a fairly rural part of Pennsylvania so I am not required to get a yearly emissions test. I wanted my car to sound more mean, plus I hate the looks of those huge stock mufflers under my car.

Has anyone deleted their stock mufflers and done straight pipes from the muffler back? I have a v6, so I don't want it to sound like a rice burner.

If the straight pipe would not be a good set-up, what would be a good, yet inexpensive, muffler to replace my stocks ones with...and maybe do it myself? I hate paying so much extra for shop fees.

Would cherry bombs sound cheesy with the 6?

thanks
skirush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
Toms2010

Drives: 2010 2LT
Replace the H pipe with a resonated X-pipe. Remove your mufflers. Consider removing your resonators also. Drive it a couple weeks and see if you like it. If not, put in a couple dynomax bullets. Drive a couple more weeks and see if you like it.

Otherwise you can go with the standard favorite answer on this site of resonated x-pipe and MRT V2.0. Would cost more than the above and would have you sounding like a lot of the Camaro's on this site, but proven sound liked by many.
Vararam CAI - Modern Muscle Ported Throttle Body - Vmax Black Iceolator - Custom Exhaust - Magnaflow Res X 11386 - 2.5" Pipe from X on Back - Magnaflow Round Mufflers 10416 - Lime Green Hood Spears - Lime Green Gill Stripes - SJM AutoProd Sequential Turn Signals - SJM AutoProd Always On DRL Fog Lights
Toms2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
markkk

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS
I've heard that no mufflers on a v6 don't sound that great, either go with a nice axelback like the mrt, or go with a full catback system like a the ark n2. You could always remove the mufflers and see how it sounds, and if you don't like it then put them back on with clamps.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
What part of PA you live?
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
skirush

Near the State College area...just far enough east of there not to need the emission test. Mifflin county. I'm leaning towards going with cherry bomb extremes or manga flows.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
CamaroLS

Drives: 2014 Blue Ray Met. Camaro 1SS Vert
[QUOTE=skirush;6883010]I live in a fairly rural part of Pennsylvania so I am not required to get a yearly emissions test. I wanted my car to sound more mean, plus I hate the looks of those huge stock mufflers under my car.

Has anyone deleted their stock mufflers and done straight pipes from the muffler back? I have a v6, so I don't want it to sound like a rice burner.

Check this link out: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298266

He has done some more to it than you have listed but sounds really mean for a V6.
CamaroLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
seanurban

Drives: 2016 2SSRS Black
I have the cheery bombs and get a lot of compliments on them. If you want loud and deep bombs will give you that. I've also seen a bunch of deletes that are good too. Only thing with deletes is you'll need someone to put the straight pipe in.
seanurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
rozay

Drives: camaro 2LS LFX A6
i have deleted my mufflers and replace it with a straight pipe. everyone says my car sounds really mean. doesnt sound rice at all
Old 08-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
Mechman108

Drives: '12 Camaro LS M6, '16 Lexus IS200T
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozay View Post
i have deleted my mufflers and replace it with a straight pipe. everyone says my car sounds really mean. doesnt sound rice at all
I have done the same... kept the resonator and catalytic converter and took out the two boat anchors from the back. It sounds mean; others like it as well; most importantly I like it.
Mechman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #10
TheShowStopperLFX

Drives: 2012 LFX
if you guys wanna know what your LFX sounds like not a LLT with cut muffler and X pipe let me know and I will post a video up. send me a message I have muffler delete and magna flow x muffler
TheShowStopperLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #11
Edsudec

Drives: 2012 1LT, IBM W/RS Package
I'd like to see/hear the video
Edsudec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #12
skirush

Ok, thanks guys. I think I'm close to getting those cut out. Might be a dumb question but, if I have a shop cut out the stock mufflers and either put in straight pipes or cheeries, can the old stock mufflers be saved and reinstalled if say...I don't like how it sounds? Or, will cutting them out make them unusable?

Also, I am worries that the shop guy will try to cut corners and cut them out in a dumb way or cut the pipe in the wrong place...is there a certain way they should be cut out or is there a certain measurement or place they should be cut?

Thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #13
skirush

One more question. I've been reading past posts on the forum about replacing the H-Pipe with an X-pipe. Can someone please help me understand how this helps? From what I've seen with the x-pipe its nothing more than 2.5" inch pipes in the shape of an X...it seems so simple that I can't understand why this is needed or how it can make much difference.

thanks,
Old 08-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #14
Toms2010

Drives: 2010 2LT
The X-Pipe is the Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe, not an X-Pipe that is just in the shape of an X.

You can have the muffle shop cut out the old in a way they will leave enough piping on the mufflers in case you want to go back. Just tell them you want to be able to re-install the stock mufflers if needed and they should understand.

As to how done, I really have no clue, but if you are not sure if the muffler shop has a clue, find a different place.

What I did with mine was to remove the H pipe back. Put in the resonated X and 2.5" piping to magnaflow round mufflers. I love how mine is quiet at idle and with barely getting on the gas. Goose it and get the RPM's up above 2K and it opens up and sounds great.
Vararam CAI - Modern Muscle Ported Throttle Body - Vmax Black Iceolator - Custom Exhaust - Magnaflow Res X 11386 - 2.5" Pipe from X on Back - Magnaflow Round Mufflers 10416 - Lime Green Hood Spears - Lime Green Gill Stripes - SJM AutoProd Sequential Turn Signals - SJM AutoProd Always On DRL Fog Lights
Toms2010 is offline   Reply With Quote