Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #15
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
awesome
Old 08-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #16
immaculate chaos
Chasing the horizon

Drives: 2013 Freightliner
The Z's Recaros are manual and 3lbs lighter while the SS's are power and heated therefore heavier.....I'd much rather have the lighter manual Recaros in my future 1le.
immaculate chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #17
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
The video is live now: WATCH IT HERE

An additional wicker-bill will be available for the rear spoiler, to increase downforce...

Interesting comments on the Multimatic suspension, and how they can be tuned for both high and low-speed damping...

North of $56,500...

3.91 rear end ratio...

Parts will be available to other Camaro owners...

Around 1,500 built per year...

QUESTION: How tall is Al Oppenheiser? His head it up against the headliner, and I'm 6'7" tall -- and wondering how I'll fit with a helmet. I sense a racing shell is in my future...
Thanks for posting the link. Wow, great stuff.

Having some personal experience with adjustable dampers, I'll note the suspension is not user tunable/adjustable, his comment in the video was to point out how the spool-valve design allows for high and low speed tuning (non- user adjustable, factory calibration), which gives both good wheel control on track (banging rumble strips) without destroying around town ride (road imperfections).

In fact, Jay noted in the video it "gives a nice compliant, firm ride". To me this means they didn't kill the ride with high spring rates, they chose instead to do the right thing and use good dampening. All things being equal, soft springs mean better tire grip to the extent you can tolerate the body roll. Kudos again to the engineers for going this route.

Another tidbit, "80 mph you're barely turning 2000 rpm" comment means obviously that 6th gear is an OD ratio. That's actually a good thing if you are driving the car to/from the track, otherwise you'd be looking at terrible gas mileage and greatly increased engine wear. I've driven close ratio gearbox cars for long distances and the noise and fuel mileage while turning 3000-3500rpm at 80 mph is miserable.

So, 1500 per year, that is the first time I've heard "limited production" from an official source. At the release they said no limits, so that is an officially new revelation. 1500 is a bunch of Camaros compared to say GT2RS/GT3RS 4.0 at 500 cars each worldwide, but still a "limit" will be creation of scarcity and scarcity is a primary determinant of value, so dealers will be adding markups. If you are a serious Z/28 buyer you'd better sign a purchase order now noting your price or don't come whining about getting gouged.

The idle at approx 12:00 sure sounds nasty (in a good way).
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #18
dixonk

Drives: 2011 Audi Q7
Send a message via Skype™ to dixonk
My ears perked up when I heard him say that all the parts will be available to buy for the SS!

Seats, intake, spoiler....drool.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #19
GraySS2011

Drives: 2011 Cyber Gray 2SS 6 speed
Thumbs up Jay Leno test drives new 2014 Z/28 [video]

Good close up look at the car and drive. Comments also from GM chief Al Oppenheiser.

GraySS2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #20
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Thanks for posting the link. Wow, great stuff.

Having some personal experience with adjustable dampers, I'll note the suspension is not user tunable/adjustable, his comment in the video was to point out how the spool-valve design allows for high and low speed tuning (non- user adjustable, factory calibration), which gives both good wheel control on track (banging rumble strips) without destroying around town ride (road imperfections).

In fact, Jay noted in the video it "gives a nice compliant, firm ride". To me this means they didn't kill the ride with high spring rates, they chose instead to do the right thing and use good dampening. All things being equal, soft springs mean better tire grip to the extent you can tolerate the body roll. Kudos again to the engineers for going this route.

Another tidbit, "80 mph you're barely turning 2000 rpm" comment means obviously that 6th gear is an OD ratio. That's actually a good thing if you are driving the car to/from the track, otherwise you'd be looking at terrible gas mileage and greatly increased engine wear. I've driven close ratio gearbox cars for long distances and the noise and fuel mileage while turning 3000-3500rpm at 80 mph is miserable.

So, 1500 per year, that is the first time I've heard "limited production" from an official source. At the release they said no limits, so that is an officially new revelation. 1500 is a bunch of Camaros compared to say GT2RS/GT3RS 4.0 at 500 cars each worldwide, but still a "limit" will be creation of scarcity and scarcity is a primary determinant of value, so dealers will be adding markups. If you are a serious Z/28 buyer you'd better sign a purchase order now noting your price or don't come whining about getting gouged.

Soft springing and good damping was the classic philosophy of Colin Chapman back in the day when his Lotus Formula 1 cars were dominating championships. The fact they went with this philosophy and Jay mentions it shows just how serious they are about this being a true track car.

I really wish they hadn't announced a production limit because that's now a license to gouge for the dealers. I wonder how many will automatically order their allotment with a/c and sound system because they can charge the maximum that way? It might be nearly impossible to get one without those unless you order it; and you'll probably have to order it early before the dealers fill up the allotments with what THEY want which is a limited production model for price gouging. Even if they planned on a limited production they should have just kept that confidential to prevent dealer gouging.

Unless you can buy from a good dealer who doesn't gouge, there's now no chance of getting one for less than $70k; even if the MSRP is in the low $60k range. And unless they believe you're a serious buyer, I'm guessing there's no chance of even getting a test drive either.

I thought it was interesting that Al mentioned the paint was a 40% gloss white; that's good to know because if anyone wants that look they can have a paint shop do a 40% gloss clear over whatever factory color they get.

I have a feeling 1,500 a year isn't going to be NEARLY enough... the demand is going to be far greater than that... just within the Camaro community itself, not even considering those outside the community who are going to want one.

Beautiful car... looks great, sounds great, goes great.... you can't ask for better than that.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #21
gmen09

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS ls3
Jay leno's review of the z/28

http://youtu.be/gc-T--DI0qQ

Jay is the first person outside of GM to drive the new z/28
Old 08-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #22
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #23
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalot View Post
brt3, Jay Leno is 5' 11". I'd say Al is 3-4 inches taller by looking at the video, so say Al is 6'2" of 6'3".
Bad news for me, at 6'7"...
Old 08-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #24
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
...So, 1500 per year, that is the first time I've heard "limited production" from an official source. At the release they said no limits, so that is an officially new revelation. 1500 is a bunch of Camaros compared to say GT2RS/GT3RS 4.0 at 500 cars each worldwide, but still a "limit" will be creation of scarcity and scarcity is a primary determinant of value, so dealers will be adding markups. If you are a serious Z/28 buyer you'd better sign a purchase order now noting your price or don't come whining about getting gouged...
I don't know if this is a limit, or Al simply saying they'll build around 1,500 because that's how many he thinks they'll sell. I tend to think it's not formally limited, but I don't have a lot of knowledge regarding how Chevy historically handles this sort of thing...
Old 08-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #25
km9v

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
Mr. Chin buys another car. woohoo
km9v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #26
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
nice!
Old 08-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #27

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Thanks for posting the link.

Just my $.02....Jay is a collector for sure....don't know where he heard the 1500 made from, but it sounded like Al didn't want to get into all that with him while driving....lol....I'm thinking the "limit" will be how many of the available/smog legal or whatever LS7s they can get their hands on for the builds....Also I think Al was a little sheepish/demure on the pricing, and didn't want to raise Jay's gigantic eyebrows with the real price...lol...

Seemed Al wanted to emphasize the availability of the Z/28 parts....maybe that's something that might help keep the price of the car down a tad, but I doubt it...

Last thing, Jay kept saying it felt like a "muscle-car"....In my book a muscle car didn't handle worth a darn, was overweight in the front, and just made to go a 1/4 mile at a time....not quite what the Z/28 is...lol...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #28
San2cci

Drives: 2013 silver ice metallic ZL1
Glad to know you can order the Z/28 parts for the SS
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote