Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #1
Reaper2012

Drives: Grey
Rodents in my car

Im not sure if this is the rt place but oh well. does anyone have any ideas how to keep rodents out of ur camaro ss. iv tried mice traps,rat traps,poison,dryer sheets any ideas?
Reaper2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I sat D-con under each tire. When I pulled out my air filter a year later , I found some mouse turds in the air box.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
z28-conv

Drives: '97 z-28 conv. 2013 BRM ZL1 conv.
For what its worth,

About three years ago i had my fourth gen parked for a weekend while i was away. That Monday morning I went out to the car to start it and go to work. I turned the key to start and nothing. I had no idea what happened? So naturally you pop the hood and start checking what might be going on. I opened the hood the first thing I seen was a nest right on the intake manifold. It was towards the back on the drivers side. When I looked a little closer there was actually to Baby squirrels in the middle of the nest one had died. I ran into the house so that I could find something to remove the squirrel out of the nest. I was in the house foe no more than two mins. When I came out the mother had already removed it from the nest. I thought cool now all I have to do is remove the nest and maybe the car will start, NOT!! The squirrel managed to stuff the hell out of the top of the intake area with straw and whatever else she could find to build the nest. I wish that was it ,but after removing all of that I noticed she had CHEWED through 850$ worth of wiring!!. I lost count how many pigtails were required to fix that. Needless to say I watch where I park my cars in March when the squirrels are making babies The reason they like to go inside the cars like that is also because it is warm
z28-conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Ehmsea

Drives: 2013 2SS RS Hurst NPP
I was told to put some mothballs under the hood. Mice had the smell I guess. I've got mouse traps next to all 4 wheels and a few other spots in the garage. I plan on putting the mothballs in this weekend...

CAI Intake w/washer relocation and race scoop
Ported Throttle Body (Polished)
Kooks LT stepped headers 1-3/4 to 1-7/8
High Flow Cats
Livernois Motorsports Stage 2c Cam Package
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKXyCyBh9BU

Hill Start Assist Delete
Ehmsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
PatS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
Well RATS, I hope that problem never PESTers me.

Yea, I know, an old thread and bad jokes, so sue me.
PatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Cats work for me....I have 2 strays that took up.....I see their paw prints on the car occasionally ....lets me know they're on the job...I was gonna trap them and the better half asked.....don't they catch rats?...bingo...I put the trap away
Old 01-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
eymang

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 1991 Vert
Look in the RV forums. They deal with all the time.
eymang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
AndyWSea

Drives: '14 2SS 1LE
Are you garaging it or is it outside?

If it is in a garage, we had a rodent problem about 7 years ago in ours. When we opened the garage door we could see them scampering up the walls. I love animals and i really didn't want to kill them, so I went to Home Depot and looked to see what the options were. What we ended up with was a plug in device that sends signals or vibrations or something through the wires of the house/garage that they just can't stand. Within days we never saw another rodent in the garage. The device was like $20 and totally worth it.
AndyWSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #9
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I got one of these. Told him if I saw a live rat I was shipping his butt back to south Florida. I haven't seen a live one since that talk, but he brings me dead ones.

Disclaimer: May not be legal in your area, not an outside cat.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #10
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Had that problem in my Silverado... filled up all nooks and crannies under the hood with rodent poison. Did the trick. However, your post indicates that you have tried that... I might also suggest one of the stakes that you drive into the ground, that produce an annoying vibration. Place them around your car, replace the batteries every few months... they also make electronic deterrents that plug into a household outlet... that may help, too.

Rodents are a REAL pain, and can do serious damage.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #11
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper2012 View Post
Im not sure if this is the rt place but oh well. does anyone have any ideas how to keep rodents out of ur camaro ss. iv tried mice traps,rat traps,poison,dryer sheets any ideas?
You appear to have covered almost all of the bases. Are you storing your Camaro or are the rodents getting in everyday after you park it?

The following comes from SATURN in reference to storing the SATURN SKY / Pontiiac Solstice:

"Consider adding some pest control (mothballs and/or rodent repellent) to the interior, underhood and trunk of your vehicle. This action is highly dependent on the location you choose to store your vehicle and the probability of having various types of pests in your area.

Consider stuffing the exhaust outlet(s) with a clean, dry cloth. Remember to remove the cloth from the exhaust outlet(s) after the vehicle is removed from storage."

Covering the exhaust outlets is about the only that hasn't been mentioned yet.

I've had my 'vert sitting in the carport for 8 weeks and haven't discovered any signs of rodents invading it - yet.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:39 PM   #12
Rockhead
Hoser.

Drives: 2018 Z06
Divorce .
Old 01-18-2014, 02:39 AM   #13
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
I got one of these. Told him if I saw a live rat I was shipping his butt back to south Florida. I haven't seen a live one since that talk, but he brings me dead ones.

Disclaimer: May not be legal in your area, not an outside cat.
Beatiful cat, Bengali?

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:33 AM   #14
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWSea View Post
Are you garaging it or is it outside?

If it is in a garage, we had a rodent problem about 7 years ago in ours. When we opened the garage door we could see them scampering up the walls. I love animals and i really didn't want to kill them, so I went to Home Depot and looked to see what the options were. What we ended up with was a plug in device that sends signals or vibrations or something through the wires of the house/garage that they just can't stand. Within days we never saw another rodent in the garage. The device was like $20 and totally worth it.
I have the same thing in my garage. After they were plugged in I haven't seen any more varmints.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote