Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-21-2015, 07:34 PM   #15
Venomous

Drives: 2015 Silver Camaro 1lt RS M6
The wheel of time series by Robert Jordan is well done. Its a pretty hefty series. 13 books I think. Im only on book 6 now. Also The Demon Cycle series by Peter Brett is great too. Now im interested in Snow Crash as well. Thanks for that heads up.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #16
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Maybe we can start a book thread, get peeps off the usual streaming tv habit....

Some of my favs:

- Tau Zero by Poul Anderson
- Time and Again by Jack Finney (have a 1st edition signed book!)
- The Man Who Folded Himself by David Gerrold (again 1st edition signed!)
- Legends of Lone Wold Series, books 1-5, by John Grant
- Revenge of the Sith by Mathew Stover (movie was weak, book is unreal good)
- Horns and/or Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill
- The Dog Stars by Peter Heller
- Cabal by Clive Barker
- have to add The Moon is a Harsh Mistress of course!

I read at least a book a week, many times 2 (I can speed read, it freaks people out).
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:45 PM   #17
Venomous

my reading list is going to go sky high!!
Old 05-21-2015, 07:52 PM   #18
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post
my reading list is going to go sky high!!
I have 5 book shelves here at home, double stacked and thats after monthly drops of free books at the local library. Wish I watched TV!
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Old 05-21-2015, 08:01 PM   #19
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson is still one of my favorite fantasy books.

Game of Thrones is also pretty good

Another of my favorite authors is David Brin. Startide Rising and the related books are a great read and some of the better science fiction I've read. He's also done some older fun sci fi like The Practice Effect and The Postman. The Postman was made into a Kevin Costner movie that SUCKED, The book, however, was amazing and a must read.

I love all the standard old sci fi from Asimov, Heinlein and others. Ringworld by Niven is great, as well as books like Legacy of Heorot by Pournelle.

Jack L. Chalker wrote a great series called "Rings of the Masters" that is also a great read.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:13 PM   #20
Venomous

what tv!! I was reading game of thrones long before there was a thought of it being a show. I tried the first season and thought it was horrible. Movies just can't be better than books. Look at the hobbit. 3 movies for a small book....and it gets all distorted

Camaro parts and books...yup that's where my money goes!! Btw...I'm writing all yalls suggestions down
Old 05-21-2015, 08:21 PM   #21
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Here's an old one don Pendleton the executioner, he started writing the series in 1969 through late 1970s. Action kick butt but pg rated only. His series was sold to harlequin in the 80s and is published today. I enjoy the ones written by Don, and can be bought cheaply in eBay. the author worked for nasa while he wrote..
Old 05-21-2015, 08:32 PM   #22
Muscle Car Lover

Love the feedback, thought I was the only idiot that read books these days!

Old 05-21-2015, 08:50 PM   #23
Venomous

me too love the thread!!!
Old 05-26-2015, 07:17 PM   #24
Muscle Car Lover

Bought "Snow Crash" today and trying out "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman. I actually got up to season 3 for Game of Thrones, but I will try out the original first book as well. Keep the ideas coming!

Old 05-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #25
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
Books are almost always better for a person with time and an interest in reading because the main influence in ruining a movie [budget] is largely removed. It costs vastly less to add an explosion-heavy action scene to a book than it does to a movie. A lot of the frustration people feel towards movie adaptions of novels are manifestations of money and time constraints. I'm currently reading a novelization of the movie Aliens. I kinda like the idea of going to other direction and novelized a film. If the author handles it correctly it's a great way to flesh out a movie.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:35 PM   #26
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
If you went to the movies to see "Unbroken", you owe it to yourself to read the book. The movie is like a synopsis written by somebody that just skimmed the book, rather than reading it. Huge difference!
Old 05-27-2015, 08:18 PM   #27
Muscle Car Lover

For anyone with an interest, lets try to keep this thread up. I am always looking for new book ideas and C5 has plenty to offer.

I collect 1st editions of books I really love, books are a passion of mine. No e-reader crap here. It's just the way I am.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:14 AM   #28
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
About 1/8th of the way into Seveneves. Love it so far.

I read a lot of Sci-Fi, however I also like fantasy, Steven King/Clive Barker type books, Tom Clancy and other technothrillers.

I'm a big fan of R.A. Salvatore as far as fantasy (I love the Drizzt Do'Urden books), as well as several other series.

Magician: Apprentice/Magician: Master, Silverthorn, Darkness at Sethanon are a series of 4 books that I recommend by Raymond Feist.