Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #15
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
And I hardly see this as import bias. Those claiming that just don't want to hear about legitimate criticisms of their car. The Camaro isn't perfect. Deal with it. Accept it. They still liked it, so let it go. Yes, out in the rest of the automotive world there is more to life than blasting down the quarter mile and cruising down a flat, straight Main Street. Good automotive journalists will reflect that.
Should have clarified although I thought this would be obvious, Jalopnik generally has an import bias IMO... not necessarily in this review as it's a piece on domestics.

All opinion, as is their review. Deal with it. Accept it.
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:08 PM   #16
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
that gold color

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I never had much respect for Jalopnik. A bunch of opinionated amateurs with a sufficiently large reader-base to justify sending cars to them for testing and reviewing purposes.

I'm happy the Camaro won...but this article was crap. The process was flawed, and the reviewers were giving night+day comments on the same car in a few of the categories...are they kidding?!

I can accept a few characteristics that the less...."flexible" folks out there may dislike. But explain to me two things (don't really...just think about it)....

-----
#1: Why did they keep harping and badgering on about the Camaro's size, and "how its fenders flared out from around a Honda -- give me a f'n break) when the Mustang...is no more than an inch smaller in any direction!?!?

-----
#2: Why they kept belaboring the Camaro about how heavy and fat and *insert bs statement here (*-more on this below)* it was....when they only mentioned it in passing that the Challenger weighs a almost 300 pounds MORE than that!?!?!

They were pigeon-holing the car into a classification that it doesn't fit into: the simple "Muscle Car". This reflected in many comments: "for a muscle car", "among muscle cars", etc...

I came away from that read, convinced they went into this with every intention of tearing the Camaro down...for whatever reason, these people have had very little good to say about the car since it's conception at NAIAS 2006. It's blatantly obvious, and unprofessional (which is half the reason they're still the amateurs of the car-site/mag community).

Again, I'm glad the Camaro won 1st place; a position I think it deserves unquestionably, But this 'commentary' was a waste of bandwidth, imo.

*short word on weight: name another midsized car that, for 30k (or more for that matter), has a 400+ hp V8, RWD, 4 seats, an IRS, and doesn't weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 3700-3900 lbs. Name a legitimate example, and you can call the Camaro "fat"......
Old 06-24-2009, 08:46 PM   #18
marticus24

Drives: 2012 ZL1
The Krewson guy was clearly biased toward the stang. Why? Because every time he had something to say about the Camaro, his stars didn't refelct it, it was always 3 or 4. However, when he made similiiar statements about the Mustang, even with more negative comments, it'd get more stars than the Camaro. What gives? I've never really been a big fan of jalopnik, don't seem too objective, but I guess that's the name of the game.
marticus24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:47 PM   #19
binlow84

Drives: '10 Camaro, IBM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbrick View Post
Whos gonna admit to ever having a mullet. I will never admit it. I mean UHH I never had one!!!
Well, people like Billy Ray Cyrus have to admit it, seeing as how there's photographic evidence and all....

On topic though, while all three have their appeal seperately, looking at the three cars side-by-side like in the photos it's really apparent how far away the Camaro is styling-wise from its rivals. On one side you have the Dodge Challenger with its wide-eyed, almost happy looking blank stare which makes it seem like it was ripped straight from the movie Cars. On the other side the Mustang looks almost plain, possibly because of the fact that it is nearly the same look we've seen all over the road (and I mean ALL OVER) since 2005. Then in the middle is that glaring, border-line psychopathic stare of the Camaro, which in the darker picture looks like it's ready to eat the other two alive. Now, granted I have an obvious Camaro/GM bias but I don't even see how there's a contest between the looks of the three.
binlow84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:54 PM   #20
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I never had much respect for Jalopnik. A bunch of opinionated amateurs with a sufficiently large reader-base to justify sending cars to them for testing and reviewing purposes.

I'm happy the Camaro won...but this article was crap. The process was flawed, and the reviewers were giving night+day comments on the same car in a few of the categories...are they kidding?!

I can accept a few characteristics that the less...."flexible" folks out there may dislike. But explain to me two things (don't really...just think about it)....

-----
#1: Why did they keep harping and badgering on about the Camaro's size, and "how its fenders flared out from around a Honda -- give me a f'n break) when the Mustang...is no more than an inch smaller in any direction!?!?

-----
#2: Why they kept belaboring the Camaro about how heavy and fat and *insert bs statement here (*-more on this below)* it was....when they only mentioned it in passing that the Challenger weighs a almost 300 pounds MORE than that!?!?!

They were pigeon-holing the car into a classification that it doesn't fit into: the simple "Muscle Car". This reflected in many comments: "for a muscle car", "among muscle cars", etc...

I came away from that read, convinced they went into this with every intention of tearing the Camaro down...for whatever reason, these people have had very little good to say about the car since it's conception at NAIAS 2006. It's blatantly obvious, and unprofessional (which is half the reason they're still the amateurs of the car-site/mag community).

Again, I'm glad the Camaro won 1st place; a position it I think deserves unquestionably, But this 'commentary' was a waste of bandwidth, imo.

*short word on weight: name another midsized car that, for 30k (or more for that matter), has a 400+ hp V8, RWD, 4 seats, an IRS, and doesn't weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 3700-3900 lbs. Name a legitimate example, and you can call the Camaro "fat"......

Left: Jalopnik. Right: Dragoneye.
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:55 PM   #21
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I never had much respect for Jalopnik. *snip*

Again, I'm glad the Camaro won 1st place; a position I think it deserves unquestionably, But this 'commentary' was a waste of bandwidth, imo.

Totally took the words out of my mouth.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:07 PM   #22
Camaro2010ss

Drives: '92 Ford F-150
I hate how you must pay extra to get the Challenger in manual, and how you also have to pay to have the stripe removed.
Camaro2010ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #23
Ravirn
Account Unaccounted for

Drives: Black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfan View Post
Another mullet comment. I'd like to take a poll in this site how many here have ever had a mullet.
The heft of the Camaro is sure getting a lot of comments.
Never had a mullet.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #24
Ravirn
Account Unaccounted for

Drives: Black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro2010ss View Post
I hate how you must pay extra to get the Challenger in manual, and how you also have to pay to have the stripe removed.
Bingo.

One of the main reasons I didn't buy an SRT8. Well, that plus the back end of the STR8 ...
Old 12-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #25
Dboy23
2G1FB1EV7A9100028

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravirn View Post
Never had a mullet.
Old thread.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #26
StealthMan

Drives: 88 IROC-Z Convert, 08 Jeep Rubicon
When I saw..winner winner..I was expecting..Chicken Dinner!
StealthMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #27
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Yeah, I wish they had found a way to shave off a good 500.... oh well, I don't mind brute force either.
And people call me crazy about pulling 400 out off it. Which is gonna start next week.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #28
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Drives: pontiac
This means nothing coming from Jalopnik. No credibility on their reviews. If the Toyota Camry was included they would have made sure it turned out to be the winner in each category. No better than consumer report imho.
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote