Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 11-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #2087
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
I would bet that a 3.31 equipped car would fare better at higher speeds. Staying out of the taller fifth and sixth for longer rather than blowing through the gears is beneficial from a roll. That's not to say the camaro won't still have an advantage up top because it may, but as soon as the mustang hit 5th it was all camaro. The mustang really needs the redline raised and to get rid of that "soft limiter" to take advantage of all that gear. I suspect that's also why the 3.31 cars seem to be faster even in the 1/4 as well.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-vs-10-ss.html

That was the best run for the stang. He usually got reeled in "hard"

Traction controlled actually helped him and the car seemed to launch much harder.

Either way he got passed long after this was no factor....so its a laughable excuse.

They also admit the camaro owns from a roll....like they had already tried it/know it for a fact.

Read the thread.

In the vid I just watched showed the GT only having an edge in the first two gears. The pull stopped and he was losing ground in 3rd...and then when he went into 4th it got really bad and he shut down before it got plain ugly...he was getting pulled bad.

The camaro shifts into 4th at 110..and that gear goes all the way to 155 mph....so it is actually worse than the stang going into 5th.

he guessed the drivers weight and he weighs 196.

Actually some pretty level headed people on that site....no blatant camaro bashing really...I am impressed. Some common sense for once.

But yeah...a 3.31 car would probably fare better. Just as a 4.10 geared ls3 would fare better in a drag race...

Last edited by ULTRAZLS1; 11-27-2010 at 08:39 PM.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #2088
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post

Traction controlled actually helped him and the car seemed to launch much harder.

Either way he got passed long after this was no factor....so its a laughable excuse.

They also admit the camaro owns from a roll....like they had already tried it/know it for a fact.

Read the thread.

In the vid I watched the camaro was pulling before the GT went into 5th. It stopped the pull and was gaining when the GT was still in 4th.

The camaro shifts into 4th at 110..and that gear goes all the way to 155 mph....so it is actually worse than the stang going into 5th.

Actually some pretty level headed people on that site....no blatant camaro bashing really...I am impressed. Some common sense for once.

But yeah...a 3.31 car would probably fare better. Just as a 4.10 geared ls3 would fare better in a drag race...
Definitely. LSx cars have always had great top end. I think a 4.10 would be way too much gear for an ls3 on street tires though. IMO a 3.9x would be ideal for a street car. . . still a major change from stock. I wish someone made a taller final drive for my car. . . my gearing is waaaayyy too short for any kind of higher speed and awd doesn't help. It's perfect for road racing, but jesus, I have to hit third to get to 60. Thing is a DOG from a roll. Oh well, I'll be changing that soon As far as svtp and respecting the camaro, I've found that svtp is by far the least fanboyish mustang forum.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #2089
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
Definitely. LSx cars have always had great top end. I think a 4.10 would be way too much gear for an ls3 on street tires though. IMO a 3.9x would be ideal. . . still a major change from stock. I wish someone made a taller final drive for my car. . . my gearing is waaaayyy too short for any kind of higher speed and awd doesn't help. Thing is a DOG from a roll. Oh well, I'll be changing that soon As far as svtp and respecting the camaro, I've found that svtp is by far the least fanboyish mustang forum.
I want 4.10 because it puts the trap speed in 4th in the mid 120 range. This is perfect for a H/C build and a good hook. I really want to see a camaro hit 10's NA with full weight on stock bottom end. I'll try it one day if I keep the car and have the money to burn. But yes...it wouldnt get much traction on the street with 4.10 gear.

Just watched the vid a few more times.

It sounds to me like 3rd is when the pull stops (I edited my last post a little)

Either way it is a random internet vid.

It doesn't prove much except that the cars are close like we already knew in the first place. Still a lot of variables etc and it is far from a perfect example.
The GT has an edge in the quarter thats for sure.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #2090
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
There you go again putting words in my mouth. I was simply responding to your statement that he had the gearing advantage. Those gears are not going to help him if you guys shut down at 130, end of story. I never said, nor insinuated anything else about the race. You act like I would prefer the ls1 win for some reason and I'm making excuses for it, which is not the case at all. I'm simply stating the fact that those gears will hurt him up top, not help him.
Alright man...my bad.

Its just all I hear from most people about that race is excuses (on ls1tech etc)...it just gets old. I figured you were doing the same thing.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #2091
8cd03gro

10's are definitely attainable n/a, but you may have to work with a SRA. I'd be interested to see how I fare against your car after my e85 setup is done and I'm back in Michigan for the summer. Do you go to lapeer at all? I'm hunting high 11's @ around 115-116, so it should be a pretty good race.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #2092
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
10's are definitely attainable n/a, but you may have to work with a SRA. I'd be interested to see how I fare against your car after my e85 setup is done and I'm back in Michigan for the summer. Do you go to lapeer at all? I'm hunting high 11's @ around 115-116, so it should be a pretty good race.
idk if your are asking me or somebody else, but my friend and i are for sure going to the drag this summer. lapeer sound good to me
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:13 PM   #2093
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
No man I have never even been to a drag strip (to race that is). I have done plenty of other types of racing though...a lot of stuff I am not proud of either. I am lucky to be alive at this point in my life honestly. I am a lot smarter in this car though...

I almost went this year but the fear of breaking something stopped me.

If you can go 11's you will get me for sure. I would have to have some slicks and at least an 18 inch rim (would lie the 17 inch bogarts but WILL NOT pay that price, and no way im removing th brembos) to do that if im lucky...and I dont feel like risking a breakage at the moment.

It would still be fun to meet up etc with some people (mike and his friend or whatever) and do something...Im up for it either way. If I run ill probably just do street tires and try to get some twelves. I think I am a rather good driver...but I could be humbled at the strip...I have never done it and it could be embarrassing lol.

10's could be hard with IRS. Orange chevy was cam only when he went 11.3 at 121.5 and I am rather sure he was full weight and didnt spend a whole lot of time with that set up until he moved on. With the addition of some heads (another 30-40 hp) and some testing and tuning...tens might happen with an IRS...but it could be a costly endeavor if things start to break. Just 4.10 gears might have got him close while still cam only...you never know.He was also running a g6x3 and making about 500rwhp. This is about what ill be making with heads...im not going to run a cam that size in a daily driver.

Hopefully companies will keep on working on larger carriers for the IRS and the price will come down. Axles at this point are just a band aid and too risky for me...

In all honestly I dont track my car (well not yet anyway) so it is mostly just bragging rights at this point.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #2094
mikeSS

Quote:
No man I have never even been to a drag strip (to race that is). I have done plenty of other types of racing though...a lot of stuff I am not proud of either. I am lucky to be alive at this point in my life honestly. I am a lot smarter in this car though...

If you can go 11's you will get me for sure. I would have to have some slicks and at least an 18 inch rim (would lie the 17 inch bogarts but WILL NOT pay that price, and no way im removing th brembos) to do that if im lucky...and I dont feel like risking a breakage at the moment.

It would still be fun to meet up etc with some people (mike and his friend or whatever) and do something...Im up for it either way. If I run ill probably just do street tires and try to get some twelves. I think I am a rather good driver...but I could be humbled at the strip...I have never done it and it could be embarrassing lol.

10's could be hard with IRS. Orange chevy was cam only when he went 11.3 at 121.5 and I am rather sure he was full weight and didnt spend a whole lot of time with that set up until he moved on. With the addition of some heads (another 30-40 hp) and some testing and tuning...tens might happen with an IRS...but it could be a costly endeavor if things start to break. Just 4.10 gears might have got him close while still cam only...you never know.He was also running a g6x3 and making about 500rwhp. This is about what ill be making with heads...im not going to run a cam that size in a daily driver.

Hopefully companies will keep on working on larger carriers for the IRS and the price will come down. Axles at this point are just a band aid and too risky for me...

In all honestly I dont track my car (well not yet anyway) so it is mostly just bragging rights at this point.
ya man i went to the drag last summer and really thought it was fun, went with a bunch of kids i know. great day. but i am really worried about breaking something to... i know what you mean about bragging rights, i to love to go to car meets, and things like that... my dad is really against be taking the camaro to a drag strip... i am thinking about go in for a cam setup very soon before it starts to snow really bad. my camaro will not be a daily driver so i am still deciding on what cam, i know nothing about them
Old 11-27-2010, 11:58 PM   #2095
VetteMaro

Drives: 09 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:

Read the thread.

In the vid I just watched showed the GT only having an edge in the first two gears. The pull stopped and he was losing ground in 3rd...and then when he went into 4th it got really bad and he shut down before it got plain ugly...he was getting pulled bad.

Hey there ULTRAZLS1

I go to the general pics/vids section of SVTP daily (not a ford-specific section), it's a very entertaining website, lots of great racing vids...

About those guys being level headed, this is probably the ONLY thread about the camaro that doesn't turn into a hate fest. There is a guy over there that posts a lot of camaro threads over there (to be fair 90% of his threads are GM related), and he gets burned HARD! typical responses would be : "Aha, but you can't outrun ugly", "That 5th gen is a BOAT!", "The interior is crappy!", "GTFO with this shit, this is a FORD website". I usually LoL at those posts, I find them very entertaining

Somehow, all the known haters managed to skip replying to that specific thread. Could it be because it's backed up by a clear video that is posted by one of their own ?
VetteMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:19 AM   #2096
BigDan

Drives: bug
There is much more respect for GM and LSX's over at SVTP vs Ford respect here. SVTP pics and vid's section would suck donkey ball's if it was Ford or SVT only related content so it blows my mind why some GM fan's over here tell us ford guys to go packing when we post an interesting video or god forbid a photo shoot of members Ford product.

I have a lot of cool video's and pics but don't want to go through all the drama of a "Ford guy/ non Camaro owner" posting pics/ vid's and posting it on a Camaro site. Ive heard it hundreds of times.

I still enjoy this forum especially since I was a member here way before I joined any Ford site, and initially wanted a SS because I had a 67 w/ ZZ4 and a 97 CHP.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:37 AM   #2097
8cd03gro

Quote:

lol, I know what you mean about breaking stuff. . . I launch at 5k rpm with a little slip followed by a knee jerk/dump. It feels horrifyingly abusive if you have never launched an awd car, but I'm confident in the trans and axles if I don't wheel hop too much and I'm nowhere near the breaking point power wise. Even my stock clutch is holding up like a champ. If you run street tires and back out of any wheel hop, I'd bet your car will be fine. It would be cool to get a meet going of michigan guys from multiple forums, just car guys in general and maybe do a track rental.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:38 AM   #2098
8cd03gro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
idk if your are asking me or somebody else, but my friend and i are for sure going to the drag this summer. lapeer sound good to me
I was talking to ultraz, but of course, it would be cool to hit up the track with a bunch of people, take some videos and stuff.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:05 AM   #2099
mikeSS

Quote:
I was talking to ultraz, but of course, it would be cool to hit up the track with a bunch of people, take some videos and stuff.
sounds good man , i got allot of people who would want to go, like some 500HP+ cars
Old 11-28-2010, 03:06 AM   #2100
VetteMaro

Drives: 09 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
There is much more respect for GM and LSX's over at SVTP vs Ford respect here. SVTP pics and vid's section would suck donkey ball's if it was Ford or SVT only related content so it blows my mind why some GM fan's over here tell us ford guys to go packing when we post an interesting video or god forbid a photo shoot of members Ford product.

I have a lot of cool video's and pics but don't want to go through all the drama of a "Ford guy/ non Camaro owner" posting pics/ vid's and posting it on a Camaro site. Ive heard it hundreds of times.

I still enjoy this forum especially since I was a member here way before I joined any Ford site, and initially wanted a SS because I had a 67 w/ ZZ4 and a 97 CHP.
Yep, there are fan boys on both sides.. But maybe the huge number of users over at SVTP makes the issue more obvious than on C5 (That forum is insanely active).

Believe me, i respect all muscle cars. I just grin from ear to ear when i hear that V8!

In fact, my bro had an 05 GT which I liked a lot. And a cousin of mine just bought a '11 5.0 a couple of weeks ago, I got to drive it and man does that thing fly! And that interior is leaps ahead of the 5th gen. Unfortunately, it's in the garage getting it's clutch replaced. At first the clutch would stick during upshifts, and eventually it progressed to not being able to go into reverse! :(
VetteMaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, camaro vs mustang, cobra, faster, mods, mustang, race