Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
Smittty

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro 2000 SLP Camaro
Tour, Sport and PTM Mode Question

How do Tour and Sport modes differ from the 5 ptm modes? Is the tour and sport mode the same as one of the ptm modes? I am new to this site and have not seen this questioned addressed as of yet. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Smittty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Watch the videos in this thread
http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220554
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
Smittty

Thanks, Ive seen the video and it doesnt answer my specific question.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
When PTM is not engaged, you can select tour or sport which adjust the suspension, steering dampening, throttle response accordingly. When PTM is engaged, (in addition to the torque management and stability control levels) modes 1 & 2 utilize the tour setting and modes 3 & 4 utilize the sport setting. Mode 5 engages track setting which is only available when in mode 5, track setting provides an even stiffer suspension rate, and tighter steering than sport.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
When PTM is not engaged, you can select tour or sport which adjust the suspension, steering dampening, throttle response accordingly. When PTM is engaged, (in addition to the torque management and stability control levels) modes 1 & 2 utilize the tour setting and modes 3 & 4 utilize the sport setting. Mode 5 engages track setting which is only available when in mode 5, track setting provides an even stiffer suspension rate, and tighter steering than sport.
So when PTM is not engaged and you are in Tour mode, how does that setting compare to PTM modes 1 and 2? How would it be different? And when you are in Sport mode with PTM not engaged how does that Sport mode compare to PTM modes 3, 4, and 5?

I understand the PTM modes very clearly but I don't understand how the standard (non PTM mode) Tour and Sport modes compare to the PTM modes..
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1bro View Post
So when PTM is not engaged and you are in Tour mode, how does that setting compare to PTM modes 1 and 2? How would it be different? And when you are in Sport mode with PTM not engaged how does that Sport mode compare to PTM modes 3, 4, and 5?

I understand the PTM modes very clearly but I don't understand how the standard (non PTM mode) Tour and Sport modes compare to the PTM modes..
Think of the suspension modes as "quick adjust" buttons. They can ONLY adjust the suspension stiffness, steering response, and throttle maps. Stabilitrac is still full-on. There is no launch-control, and no no-lift shift.

Magnetic Ride: Tour is comfy, Sport is a little more stiff.

Electric Steering: Tour has a leisurely, but direct steering feel, Sport is sharp and tight.

Throttle Response: Tour allows for a more aggressive throttle map for "fun-wow" acceleration, Sport pulls the curve down so you can modulate throttle more precisely during cornering.

The PTM modes adjust all of these to varying degrees, but also incorporate Launch Control, No-Lift Shift, Torque Management, Traction Control & Stability Control.

I use the Sport/Tour buttons primarily to adjust steering and suspension feel to suit my mood or driving conditions (bumpy road versus highway pavement). When racing, driving normally in the wet or driving aggressively (never.......) I'm ALWAYS in one of the PTM settings.

I don't know if that helps. I hope it does.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
zl1bro

That helps a lot.. so there are actually 7 different modes in total, 5 PTM modes plus the two general Tour and Sport modes. I understand how the suspension and steering differ between the 2 general Tour and Sport modes but I didn't understand your comment about how the two differ in terms of Tour mode having a more aggressive throttle map than Sport. From your experience, how does acceleration feel and performance change between these two basic settings?
Old 10-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Remember you can also turn off the TC and Stab Control outside of PTM. So you can essentially turn off ALL nannies by holding down the T/C button for about 5-7 seconds. You will see both the T/C and Stability control lights come on (this is seperate from PTM).
Old 10-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
ZL1LEGEND
ZL1 - The Legend Returns!

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
I tried 2 settings in an autocross theis weekend.

1- I left the car out of PTM an jut selects "sport".
Result: traction control kicked in very fast when I was loosing traction. Throttle felt over ridden by TC if I gave it too much

2- selected PTM mode 3
Result: I had a lot more control of the rear. Was able to slide quite a bit until TC took over. Throttle was very touchy if I gave it too much gas.

Hope this helps.
ZL1LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
Smittty

I want to thank everybody. I think I understand how the Tour and Sport differ from the 5 seperate ptm modes now.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
zl1bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
Remember you can also turn off the TC and Stab Control outside of PTM. So you can essentially turn off ALL nannies by holding down the T/C button for about 5-7 seconds. You will see both the T/C and Stability control lights come on (this is seperate from PTM).
With traction control and stab control totally off isn't that the same as PTM mode 5 or is that another unique mode? How would it differ?

Can you manually turn off trac and stab control while in either of the non PTM Tour or Sport modes?
Old 10-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
That helps a lot.. so there are actually 7 different modes in total, 5 PTM modes plus the two general Tour and Sport modes. I understand how the suspension and steering differ between the 2 general Tour and Sport modes but I didn't understand your comment about how the two differ in terms of Tour mode having a more aggressive throttle map than Sport. From your experience, how does acceleration feel and performance change between these two basic settings?
Quote:
With traction control and stab control totally off isn't that the same as PTM mode 5 or is that another unique mode? How would it differ?

Can you manually turn off trac and stab control while in either of the non PTM Tour or Sport modes?
No, even in PTM 5, the computer still has input on driving...it's a safety/performance system, remember...

What he's describing is full-off, no electronic aids at all!

The throttle maps are tricky to explain. I promise, I'll get back to you tomorrow (battery's about to die, here), if nobody beats me to it.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
zl1bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
No, even in PTM 5, the computer still has input on driving...it's a safety/performance system, remember...

What he's describing is full-off, no electronic aids at all!

The throttle maps are tricky to explain. I promise, I'll get back to you tomorrow (battery's about to die, here), if nobody beats me to it.
Thanks for all your input. This is useful information on some of the finer points of our cars' electronic handling systems. There are a lot more options in terms of settings than meets the naked eye. It is useful to know that PTM mode 5 is NOT having ALL electronic aids turned off which is what I assumed..