Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-27-2007, 08:46 PM   #29
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
yeah paddle shift is slick. i meen if ferarri can pull it off ,why not camaro's????
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:52 PM   #30
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
It's Nowhere near the same thing...
the auto-paddle shift transmission that GM has in the Vette, is still an automatic transmission at heart. You can just control it now.

The Ferrari, on the other hand, uses a DCT (dual clutch transmission). Where it's core is a manual-style transmission, but it's automated when you want it to be. howstuffworks.com has a real great intro on it. There's just too much to it for my poor little fingers to type out here
Old 11-28-2007, 08:19 AM   #31
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Yeah paddle shift can mean so many different things. I mean Hyundai and Kia offer it; the Corvette and the Malibu have paddles, Some car rags have gone so far as to say Audi's DSG officially makes the manual transmission obsolete (I don't know if I'd go that far, but it is a very good tranny) Ferrari has their F1 system, but none of these are the same thing. Well the Hyundai/Kia and GM systems are similar, in that they are utterly conventional automatic transmissions. Adding paddle shifters just adds the ability for the driver to tell the computer what gear to select, instead of leaving that decision solely up to the computer. The Audi and Ferrari systems, on the other hand, are actually more of automated manual transmissions. They mechanically function much like a true manual transmission, but a flick of the paddle automatically performs the clutch and gear shifting actions that would normally be done with a pedal, stick, foot, leg, arm and hand.

I do not doubt one bit that the new Camaro will have paddle shift abilities, but I'm sure it will be just like the Malibu's and Corvette's, not Audi or Ferrari. A number of companies have stated that they will start using dual clutch transmissions, but GM was not one of them.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:50 AM   #32
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
A number of companies have stated that they will start using dual clutch transmissions, but GM was not one of them.
I noticed that, too. I figured it may have been because GM consistantly cranks out their own really good auto tranmissions, but - why not update? you know?
Old 11-28-2007, 10:41 AM   #33
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
I thought there was something in the UAW contract that mentioned a 7 speed "DCT" (Dual Clutch) transmission?
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:46 PM   #34
MattG
Z/28 or Bust!

Drives: First Camaro: '69 Z28
If Chevy comes up with a slick Auto w/ paddles, I'd consider it. But most likely I'll be going manual.
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:16 PM   #35
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerScotsman View Post
I thought there was something in the UAW contract that mentioned a 7 speed "DCT" (Dual Clutch) transmission?
I'll look when I get home. I saved the PDF when it was first "leaked"...now I think it may be lost in the Web somewhere

btw; I'll edit this post with the answer when I get it
Old 11-28-2007, 04:02 PM   #36
2010_5thgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
It's Nowhere near the same thing...
the auto-paddle shift transmission that GM has in the Vette, is still an automatic transmission at heart. You can just control it now.

The Ferrari, on the other hand, uses a DCT (dual clutch transmission). Where it's core is a manual-style transmission, but it's automated when you want it to be. howstuffworks.com has a real great intro on it. There's just too much to it for my poor little fingers to type out here
yeah i know there was more to a ferarri than a vette but kinda the same concept.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:07 AM   #37
Good53X

Drives: 1988Nissan Pulsar (meh,beater)
I like the shifter, seriously :P

However the automated manuals can complete a shift in something rediculous like a quarter of a second. What does that mean? Well... a rough shift, that's for sure... but a faster shift. Definitely a racing feature.

I like the ability to shift hard, or shift soft depending on my mood. I really like a shift knob. I also sometimes shift 1-2-4, almost red-lining first, running second pretty hard, and then cruising in 4th. I couldn't do that with paddle shifters... not that it's good for my transmission anyway /shrug.
Good53X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:04 AM   #38
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good53X View Post
I like the ability to shift hard, or shift soft depending on my mood. I really like a shift knob. I also sometimes shift 1-2-4, almost red-lining first, running second pretty hard, and then cruising in 4th. I couldn't do that with paddle shifters... not that it's good for my transmission anyway /shrug.
Yes, you could...2 to 4 would be a double-tap up.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #39
2010_5thgen

^^^^ thats pretty slick.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:55 PM   #40
GSX
Falcon Punch

Drives: Scion tC (way too slow)
If you want to buy a manual, first learn from friend or relative first. As of first cars I drove in a Camry during my road test and a hand me down civic for a few weeks. (man did I hate those cars) But my first truly owned car is a Scion tC (automatic). I would honest say try before you buy though.
GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:22 PM   #41
Jay

Drives: Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
I do not doubt one bit that the new Camaro will have paddle shift abilities, but I'm sure it will be just like the Malibu's and Corvette's, not Audi or Ferrari. A number of companies have stated that they will start using dual clutch transmissions, but GM was not one of them.
Wha??? Sorry Im not the most technical of people when it comes to cars.... wtf is dual clutch transmissions....kinda like what the Audi A3 has?

"HEAVEN JUST COULDN'T HANDLE ALL THE NOISE"
JAY
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:35 PM   #42
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Wha??? Sorry Im not the most technical of people when it comes to cars.... wtf is dual clutch transmissions....kinda like what the Audi A3 has?
Read that in a less aggressive tone than the smiley implies, but I discussed the difference in great detail just a little earlier on this thread.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote