Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
J_Vibe92

Drives: 2013 Mustang 5.0
Question Intake Manifold, slight confused

Okay, so I have always wondered a bit about the intake manifold in general and about the mods that associates with it like the black iceolator and the throttle body.

After seeing a lot of info on the black iceolator, I have come to the conclusion that I probably wont do it yet considering i need a torch wrench and then just plain confusion on how to install without a video.

So im deciding to putt the trigger on a new throttle body because of what it does and how common it is to get a better TB around the entire car community. its essentially a must.

But heres is where im confused. PORTING, what exactly does that entail? Sanding so every hole is smooth? I want to buy a TB but is there any actually difference between a ported on and not? Also how do you actually port the TB?

Sorry if there are threads answering this, but goggle search had to many pages of stuff to research, i gave up lol

Lastly, Black iceolator or TB is kind of where I stand, the black ice is better cause its only 150 and thats it, but the TB wants me to send my core to them, does that mean they send me it back fixed or their own TB and then they keep my core

Questions galore from me
Visual mods: Eagle Eyes w/5k hids, Custom Hood Spears, Heritage Grille, Stage 2 LED Dome lights,Transformer Emblems, PD Bezels, 19in Chevy rims with pirellis, Blue painted calipers, GM GFX Front Splitter, 35/20 % Tint, TailLight Tint(charcoal)
1/4 Mile: 13.65 sec @ 102.53 mph R.I.P.
J_Vibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
its easier than you think to install black iceolator . trust me as I have no mechanical exp, but am just handy. and you can buy a fairly decent torque wrench for around 20-30 bucks . plus the gains are pretty damn good for a mod as cheap as it is, but as long as your down there may as well do a ported intake manifold as well

Last edited by mydreamcar; 01-18-2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: c
mydreamcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Thing of porting like making the area that is ported sorta like a golf ball. The dimples help with aerodynamics and porting does the same thing it affects the airflow going into the car.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
'11CamaroLS

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
the ported throttle body is 150 plus 150 deposit. you get your ported throttle body then send back your stock throttle body to them. they then refund that 150 deposit. its really easy to install and does make a difference. the black iceolator is alot easier than it looks. i had a friend help me, cause he had just did one on his camaro, but i could have done it by myself. the only part that was a pain was the back rear bolt on the intake manifold. both mods are worth every penny, and both mods you will feel the difference in differect RPMS. they work great together. Ported intake manifold will cost more then both the ported throttle body and black ice together but it has bigger gains and bigger difference.
'11CamaroLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
The iceolator gives more power gains per$ of any product we offer, and no need for a torque wrench if you do it properly. Several threads here show step by step.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Here is some pics Tracy did you just won't do the porting for isolator.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...Black+isolator
Old 01-20-2013, 03:06 AM   #7
J_Vibe92

Drives: 2013 Mustang 5.0
i thought the bolts had to be torched to 18 psi?
Visual mods: Eagle Eyes w/5k hids, Custom Hood Spears, Heritage Grille, Stage 2 LED Dome lights,Transformer Emblems, PD Bezels, 19in Chevy rims with pirellis, Blue painted calipers, GM GFX Front Splitter, 35/20 % Tint, TailLight Tint(charcoal)
1/4 Mile: 13.65 sec @ 102.53 mph R.I.P.
J_Vibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #8
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Vibe92 View Post
i thought the bolts had to be torched to 18 psi?
They do and they should be, but it is possible to install without proper torquing of the bolts. It just takes a bit of "feel" to tighten the bolts relatively evenly w/r to each other without being too tight or too loose. The OEM gasket has enough "give" to adjust to some level of uneven tightening. However, even though I'm sure I can do it w/o a torque wrench, I use one anyway. Over-tightening steel bolts in aluminum threads is definitely something you want to avoid. So, IMO, it's best to buy one, or rent one, or borrow one, AND learn how to use it properly.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgustavson View Post
They do and they should be, but it is possible to install without proper torquing of the bolts. It just takes a bit of "feel" to tighten the bolts relatively evenly w/r to each other without being too tight or too loose. The OEM gasket has enough "give" to adjust to some level of uneven tightening. However, even though I'm sure I can do it w/o a torque wrench, I use one anyway. Over-tightening steel bolts in aluminum threads is definitely something you want to avoid. So, IMO, it's best to buy one, or rent one, or borrow one, AND learn how to use it properly.

Correct, easy to over tighten and you dont want to do that. Many mechanics acan "feel" withing a # or 2 of the 18 spec, but I can guess on a head or crank bolt.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote