Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
mjluper

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS M6
Question for all you 1" drop guys!

I'm looking at the BMR 1" drop springs for my 2011 2ss rs m6. To me she just sits a bit to high for the "racy" look. Installing springs won't be a problem for me as I work in an auto shop with an allignment rack for the allignment after install. But here's my question. Do you scrape a lot while driving, and or is there any day to day things that you can't do anymore because your car is too low. For example jacking up the car, or pulling it onto an allignment rack or vehicle lift. We have in ground lifts on one side of the shop that I used to do an oil change after I got it and there was very little clearance for the lift arms. I don't want to sacrifice things like that.
Also mind you I live in Idaho where most people drive pickups. Some entrances to parking lots and such already give me grey hair at stock height. I drove a full size pickup for years and never had to worry about scraping it untill now.
So what u guys think?
mjluper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
Xavier1421

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Over 1" drop with my eibachs, and no rubbing or grinding of any kind. Even with 315 Motivo's on the rear.

BUT, I used to kiss alot of parking blocks (even before lowering), and definitely have little or no clearance for lift arms or jack - I have to borrow my wife's ramp she uses for her horse trailer to get enough clearance for maintenance and cleaning.

It looks sooooo good though!
Xavier1421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Just be careful with tall parking blocks. You should be okay with the average parking blocks, but it can be close. Also, if someone else drives the car they might not be so careful pulling into parking spots.

That was always the biggest issue for me when I had a 1" drop (and even at the stock height with my SLP Splitter). I'm very careful when I park and try to not pull up to far if there's a parking block.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
TurboNarwhal

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Twin Turbo
Im lowered 1.25 with a splitter. If you use your head, you wont have any problems day to day with it. Just remember not to pull up where the front will contact parking blocks or sidewalks.

I just spent a week in the Smoky Mountains cruising around up there all kinds of steep hills and ridiculous elevation changes, never rubbed on a road once. Did manage to accidentally catch my splitter parking at a steakhouse though.

As far as jacks go, we have a relatively low profile jack and it the only issues i had was the rubber air dam on the front would contact the handle while sliding the jack under but that is flexible so it inst really a problem.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:11 AM   #5
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
1.25 here as well and no problems at all.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
No day to day problems, depending on if you get a splitter then using a jack might be a problem.

A super low profile jack does the trick though
Old 06-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
Zombie killer
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
1" drop with ZL1 type splitter. Even with a low profile jack I cant safely get under my splitter without driving up on a 2x12 board first.

As for driving, some locations just dont get my business because of the chance of the splitter getting damaged. Its the price you pay for looking "bad ass".
Old 06-09-2014, 04:35 PM   #8
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Some wooden block go a long way for driving up ramps and getting the car high enough to fit a jack/lift under. As for driving around, you'll just have to take inclines at a more precautionary angle and beware of parking spot stops/curbs. Living in Utah, we have a lot of the same kind of deep runoff ditches/gutters and an inch is really nothing to worry about; just gotta be careful.

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #9
MonsterV6

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
1.8/1.7 h&r springs. no problem here except for the parking. Got to be careful not to rip on splitter
481rwhp 436 rwtq on a Mustang dyno, BTR stage iv comp cam, Stainless power headers w/ highflow cats, G5CR intake, straight pipe, vmax throttle body, 6k hid fog & headlights, BMR strut bar, LG Motorsport coilovers Hurst short shifter, Elite catch can, Stillen splitter,cypher harness bar,
MonsterV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #10
mjluper

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS M6
Thanks for all the feedback! I'm usually super carefull with parking curbs, just the approach angles and what not to parking lots worrys me!
mjluper is offline   Reply With Quote