Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 06-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
Black_2SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS HotWheels Edition
AC Condenser removal

Anyone out there done any ac work yet? I need to replace the condenser on the front of the radiator and was wondering if its possible to do without disconnecting everything and pulling it w/ the radiator. From some stuff I've found it looks as if you can unbolt the top of the radiator and tip it back, giving you access to remove the condenser bolts and remove it. Can anyone confirm this? Just wondering how difficult it would be to do myself as opposed to paying $700 for the dealer to replace the $100 part. Thanks!
Black_2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
pouncer72
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to pouncer72
unbolt+tip
pouncer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
MRGOODWRENCH3
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
You will save yourself some time and frustration if you remove the fans and radiator. They come out easily within minutes. The condenser mounts to the radiator and has a integral power steering cooler. Easiest way is to remove all together.
MRGOODWRENCH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
pouncer72
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to pouncer72
I just did mine today in like 20 minutes without removing radiator. Very easy
pouncer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
RickHead

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I just bought one off ebay for less than $65. I went down to my local mechanic and he told me he refuses to install this part unless I buy it through him. I asked him how much he would charge for the part and he said his cost was $270 and he would charge me $330 and 1.8 hours labor. Looks like I will learn how to install it myself. Seriously! Why such a mark up for the same part? And don't even try to say the quality difference, because if that was the case the original condensors would not be failing in so many of our camaros.
BTW. First post. Just bought the car in the middle of a 95 degree heat wave and found out the condensor had a hole in it. Oh well, still a nice car.
RickHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickHead View Post
I just bought one off ebay for less than $65. I went down to my local mechanic and he told me he refuses to install this part unless I buy it through him. I asked him how much he would charge for the part and he said his cost was $270 and he would charge me $330 and 1.8 hours labor. Looks like I will learn how to install it myself. Seriously! Why such a mark up for the same part? And don't even try to say the quality difference, because if that was the case the original condensors would not be failing in so many of our camaros.
BTW. First post. Just bought the car in the middle of a 95 degree heat wave and found out the condensor had a hole in it. Oh well, still a nice car.
well would you bring your own steak to outback and have them cook it for you? The price he quoted sounds about right, remember that price also will include a warranty and check of pressures and temps to verify proper operation.Probably should also replace the receiver/dryer if systems been open more than 24 hours or it may not blow as cold as it should due to moisture in the system, good luck brother
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
RickHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestone_ss View Post
well would you bring your own steak to outback and have them cook it for you? The price he quoted sounds about right, remember that price also will include a warranty and check of pressures and temps to verify proper operation.Probably should also replace the receiver/dryer if systems been open more than 24 hours or it may not blow as cold as it should due to moisture in the system, good luck brother
Warranty from another rock coming in and putting a hole in this one also? Took less than an hour to install myself, another hour on the vacuum pump and manifold guage. So, let's compare. Pay Joe sausage head $330 for a $65 part and then give him the cost of 1.8 hrs labor to do something that you can do yourself? No thanks. And it sounds typical they would try to upsell you a receiver and dryer also, since not all of us are hvac techs. Thanks for the good luck wishes, Brother.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
RickHead

I am, however, going to replace the stock grill with an aluminum billet grill so maybe it will deflect any incoming projectiles better.