Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
Switchin2Chevy

Drives: Currently 2015 Mustang GT manual.
Transmission Question

Morning everybody. I've got a question and need some help on how to proceed. I've got a 10' 2LT (manual). She's got a little over 38k miles on her. For about the past 2 weeks or so I've been noticing that when shifting to 3rd it'll grind. This is the only gear this happens in. It happens maybe every other day. I thought it may be something I'm doing. But I'm not jamming it in to third when I shift or doing any hard driving, the clutch is fully engaged and it still happens. Some time last week 3rd starting to grind after it was already engaged. I was driving along and it just started grinding. My hand was not on the shift. I want to take this in to be looked at but I'm not 100% sure it'll be covered under warranty (powertrain). I got the car in Dec. 09' so it hasn't been 5 years. when I first got the car, I had an issue with the pressure plate or flywheel or both. I can't remember which. It happened a few months after I got he car. Is this all in my head? Or should I take it in? Again, it doesn't happen every time I drive but it happens enough to be annoying. I've been driving a stick since I've been able to drive so I don't think it's me! What say you?
Switchin2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
wadew2lt
U.S. Army Veteran

Drives: 2LT/RS SGM M6 Polished 20's
Me? I would take it in! 5yrs., 100,000 miles on the power train. Sounds like a synchronizer to me.
Keep us posted.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
Switchin2Chevy

That's what I was thinking too. Maybe the timing was off. I just didn't want them to say that it's operator error, etc. when I'm fairly certain it isn't..
Old 04-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #4
Switchin2Chevy

Anyone else run in to this issue..?
Old 04-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
Switchin2Chevy

Guess I'm the only one!
Old 04-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
Matty1LE

Drives: 2014 1LE Camaro 2$$
Theres a couple posts on here showing a garbled up 2nd gear synchro but I believe it was a 2SS.. your warranty should cover it dont wait too long it will only get worse as time goes on.
Matty1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #7
Switchin2Chevy

Someone else suggested the synchro also. I've got an appointment to bring her in this Friday. Lets hope there's no shenanigans....
Old 04-14-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchin2Chevy View Post
Morning everybody. I've got a question and need some help on how to proceed. I've got a 10' 2LT (manual). She's got a little over 38k miles on her. For about the past 2 weeks or so I've been noticing that when shifting to 3rd it'll grind. This is the only gear this happens in. It happens maybe every other day. I thought it may be something I'm doing. But I'm not jamming it in to third when I shift or doing any hard driving, the clutch is fully engaged and it still happens. Some time last week 3rd starting to grind after it was already engaged. I was driving along and it just started grinding. My hand was not on the shift. I want to take this in to be looked at but I'm not 100% sure it'll be covered under warranty (powertrain). I got the car in Dec. 09' so it hasn't been 5 years. when I first got the car, I had an issue with the pressure plate or flywheel or both. I can't remember which. It happened a few months after I got he car. Is this all in my head? Or should I take it in? Again, it doesn't happen every time I drive but it happens enough to be annoying. I've been driving a stick since I've been able to drive so I don't think it's me! What say you?
Switchin2Chevy,

I can understand any displeasure created by your transmission concerns, but it's great that you have an appointment scheduled. Please keep us posted and don't hesitate to let us know if additional assistance is needed.

Kind regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
Switchin2Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Switchin2Chevy,

I can understand any displeasure created by your transmission concerns, but it's great that you have an appointment scheduled. Please keep us posted and don't hesitate to let us know if additional assistance is needed.

Kind regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Will do. Thank you William.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Will do. Thank you William.
You're most welcome!

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #11
Switchin2Chevy

So the car is at the dealer's service. they're saying that the reason I'm having so many issue's is because there's too much transmission fluid in it and they'll need to flush it out and refill it which would cost $150.00. I'm calling BS cause the car has never had transmission work at all and has less then 39k miles on it... What do you guys think..?
Old 04-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #12
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
So the car is at the dealer's service. they're saying that the reason I'm having so many issue's is because there's too much transmission fluid in it and they'll need to flush it out and refill it which would cost $150.00. I'm calling BS cause the car has never had transmission work at all and has less then 39k miles on it... What do you guys think..?
If you have never touched the transmission, and you are still under power train warranty, then that is BS!

There is no lube maintenance required on a manual transmission, so anything they do should be under warranty.

Period.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #13
Switchin2Chevy

Thank you. Exactly what I was thinking too. The service guy said that maybe it was done during my last oil change. Also bs. I got my oil changed on the 5th of this month just before I drove to Wrestlemania. And this was happening before that.. They're just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks..
Old 04-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #14
TOYMARO

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS 2SS
BS

The previous owner of mine (ill blame him), blew second and third for me. Syncros and tech will replace gears also. Warranty. but my dealer is the best

(we will see, getting put back together now)
TOYMARO is offline   Reply With Quote