Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #57
southerncarparts

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightspore68 View Post
Thanks for the info. I'll be considering those systems.
I see you're in Marietta. Are you a dealer or installer?
Happy to help! Hopefully we, and the other great people on this forum, can give you the information you need to find the perfect exhaust system.

We are located in the Marietta/Kennesaw area. We're a dealer only, and do not have a local walk-in show room. By functioning as an internet-only dealer we're able to keep our overhead costs down and pass on the savings to you in the form of the cheapest exhaust prices online. If you do wish to pick up locally, however, just give us a call and we will do what we can to work with you and set-up a scheduled pick-up from our warehouse. Of course, on items with Free Shipping, that feels like kind of a moot point.

Thanks,
Matt
southerncarparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #58
Swifty49

Drives: IOM Camaro 2SS/RS
Just ordered a cat back Atak system! Here's to hoping I'll receive them early next week

I'm assuming you guys have 'em in stock?
Swifty49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #59
southerncarparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty49 View Post
Just ordered a cat back Atak system! Here's to hoping I'll receive them early next week

I'm assuming you guys have 'em in stock?
Yeah, we do everything we can to keep those systems in stock because of their popularity. Should be shipping out today via UPS. Thanks for your order! Definitely let us know what you think of it when it arrives!

Thanks,
Matt
Old 06-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #60
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncarparts View Post
The Borla Exhaust have been HUGE sellers...Since they are so popular and I get the same questions, I wanted to share some thoughts before you make a decision on which one to go with...

There are several flavors for the Camaro now.....
In the ATAK Series you have the
Camaro ATAK CatBack Exhaust System

Camaro Axleback ATAK Exhaust
Camaro ATAK Catback Exhaust for Camaros with Ground Effects Package
Camaro ATAK Axleback Exhaust for Camaros with Ground Effects Package

Then you have the Borla Camaro Catback Touring System (which does not sound much different than stock. For the person who wants the increased performance with no additional change in exhaust note)

and then in the Borla Sport lineup (which is my favorite)...
Camaro Borla Sport Catback
Camaro Borla Sport Axleback Exhaust

and the only 3" Borla system (OEM system and the other above systems are 2.5")
Borla 3" Camaro Sport Catback Exhaust If you get the 3" system, you will also want to get a new Camaro Billet Tunnel Brace as the 3" system will most likely touch your OEM tunnel Plate and rattle, which will drive you nuts!!!

Some thoughts before purchasing any of them.....

All of the Axle back systems require cutting them OEM system (which i am not a fan of, just in case you ever want to go back to stock). There is also one more "dirty"secret about the Axelbacks which needs to be known....When you install the Axleback it leaves in place the OEM Pre Muffler that is up towards the middle of the car. Not a big deal, but it DOES change the exhaust note slightly as compared to the Catback systems and does not make the L99 system a true dual exhaust as the Catback does.

Both Axle Back and Catback systems are great systems and make a huge improvement in sound, but if you can afford to spring for the extra cash, do it right and get the Catback.

From a sound perspective, you have the touring which sound not much different than stock. Then the Sport (my favorite) which bumps it up a notch from the sound perspective, but not too much. At the ATAK which is the most aggressive sounding of them all.

All of Borla's systems are awesome, but thought prospective shoppers would want to know the down and dirty on each one...

See ya,

Jim
Hey Jim, I have a new 2011 SSRS with the L99 engine and have been looking at ALL the different axle back systems and was wondering which one you suggest for my application. I like the sound of the Borla S axleback and was uncertain about the crappy sound when it switches from 8 to 4 cylinders. What do you think? Seems like all the videos are the LS3 engines..Thanks..
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #61
southerncarparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Hey Jim, I have a new 2011 SSRS with the L99 engine and have been looking at ALL the different axle back systems and was wondering which one you suggest for my application. I like the sound of the Borla S axleback and was uncertain about the crappy sound when it switches from 8 to 4 cylinders. What do you think? Seems like all the videos are the LS3 engines..Thanks..
Sadly, most of our experience with these systems is with the LS3. The only L99 installs we've done have been cat-backs, and those make it a true-dual system and remove the pre-mufflers, so their sound is different from the axle-back systems. That being said, my favorite of these systems is, across the board, the ATAK ones. I just personally prefer the sound that those mufflers give a lot more. They're aggressive, powerful, and clean. Of course, any system's going to give you some rasp/dirt when you're decelerating, that's decel pop and it's just part of the game, but a cat-back cuts down on said decel pop big time, and gives it a cleaner tone.
Again, my experience with the L99 is limited, and I'd be willing to bet some other forum members could give you more sound advice, but, my preference lies with the ATAK.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 06-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #62
sstphoenix

Drives: Black 2LT RS 5th gen
I watched all the Borla video comparisons.
I really wish I could hear a V6 though.

The sounds are no where near the V8 (on stock), and I would really like a decent sound clip to hear.

have any of you found any decent sound clips of the borla catbacks on a V6??
I only hear some idle (in-garage) youtubes.

I'd be ready to make a purchase this week if i can get a sample sound on the atak and/or sport pipes.

Any help would be appreciated.
sstphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #63
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncarparts View Post
Sadly, most of our experience with these systems is with the LS3. The only L99 installs we've done have been cat-backs, and those make it a true-dual system and remove the pre-mufflers, so their sound is different from the axle-back systems. That being said, my favorite of these systems is, across the board, the ATAK ones. I just personally prefer the sound that those mufflers give a lot more. They're aggressive, powerful, and clean. Of course, any system's going to give you some rasp/dirt when you're decelerating, that's decel pop and it's just part of the game, but a cat-back cuts down on said decel pop big time, and gives it a cleaner tone.
Again, my experience with the L99 is limited, and I'd be willing to bet some other forum members could give you more sound advice, but, my preference lies with the ATAK.

Thanks,
Matt
Thanks Matt for the info..
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #64
southerncarparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstphoenix View Post
I watched all the Borla video comparisons.
I really wish I could hear a V6 though.

The sounds are no where near the V8 (on stock), and I would really like a decent sound clip to hear.

have any of you found any decent sound clips of the borla catbacks on a V6??
I only hear some idle (in-garage) youtubes.

I'd be ready to make a purchase this week if i can get a sample sound on the atak and/or sport pipes.

Any help would be appreciated.
There's only one Borla system available for the Camaro V6. You can view it on our website here: http://www.southerncarparts.com/cama...st-p-2369.html
That'll explain why you can't find any ATAK or Sport clips for the V6. The V6 Exhaust system is most comparable to a Sport system, that being said, and gives a great tone. I've only ever done one install on a V6 though, so I don't have any videos available.
Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Matt
Old 10-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #65
southerncarparts

The Borla Exhaust have been HUGE sellers...Since they are so popular and I get the same questions, I wanted to share some thoughts before you make a decision on which one to go with...

There are several flavors for the Camaro now.....
In the ATAK Series you have the
Camaro ATAK CatBack Exhaust System

Camaro Axleback ATAK Exhaust
Camaro ATAK Catback Exhaust for Camaros with Ground Effects Package
Camaro ATAK Axleback Exhaust for Camaros with Ground Effects Package

Then you have the Borla Camaro Catback Touring System (which does not sound much different than stock. For the person who wants the increased performance with no additional change in exhaust note)

and then in the Borla Sport lineup (which is my favorite)...
Camaro Borla Sport Catback
Camaro Borla Sport Axleback Exhaust

and the only 3" Borla system (OEM system and the other above systems are 2.5")
Borla 3" Camaro Sport Catback Exhaust If you get the 3" system, you will also want to get a new Camaro Billet Tunnel Brace as the 3" system will most likely touch your OEM tunnel Plate and rattle, which will drive you nuts!!!

Some thoughts before purchasing any of them.....

All of the Axle back systems require cutting the OEM system (which i am not a fan of, just in case you ever want to go back to stock). There is also one more "dirty"secret about the Axelbacks which needs to be known....When you install the Axleback it leaves in place the OEM Pre Muffler that is up towards the middle of the car. Not a big deal, but it DOES change the exhaust note slightly as compared to the Catback systems and does not make the L99 system a true dual exhaust as the Catback does.

Both Axle Back and Catback systems are great systems and make a huge improvement in sound, but if you can afford to spring for the extra cash, do it right and get the Catback.

From a sound perspective, you have the touring which sound not much different than stock. Then the Sport (my favorite) which bumps it up a notch from the sound perspective, but not too much. At the ATAK which is the most aggressive sounding of them all.

All of Borla's systems are awesome, but thought prospective shoppers would want to know the down and dirty on each one...

See ya,

Jim
Old 10-26-2011, 03:05 PM   #66
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
So I have the Borla ATAK catback sitting in my house. How easy is the install (no lift available and no prior exhaust install experience) and how much would a shop charge for it? Any special tools required?
snizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #67
southerncarparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
So I have the Borla ATAK catback sitting in my house. How easy is the install (no lift available and no prior exhaust install experience) and how much would a shop charge for it? Any special tools required?
Without a lift? Not that easy. It's possible, but, will require two people and will probably inspire a few curses. The stock system is just bulky and heavy, and removing it while having to lie on your back isn't preferable. If you can get access to a lift, I would say you and a friend could very easily do the entire removal and replacement installation in under two hours. Two hours is about the limit of time I'd expect a shop to charge you, also. Honestly, a shop (with a lift and and proper air tools) should be able to do the install in under an hour, but they'll always charge a little more.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 10-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #68
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
So against my better judgement and yours, I decided to try it this weekend with the two back tires on ramps. Actually completed the install in a little under 2 hrs so it ended up working out. We had three guys though to help manipulate the stock exhaust out. A lift definitely would have been easier of course.

As far as ATAK goes, it's incredible. Full throttle sounds like a race car.
snizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:04 PM   #69
southerncarparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
So against my better judgement and yours, I decided to try it this weekend with the two back tires on ramps. Actually completed the install in a little under 2 hrs so it ended up working out. We had three guys though to help manipulate the stock exhaust out. A lift definitely would have been easier of course.

As far as ATAK goes, it's incredible. Full throttle sounds like a race car.
Glad you were able to get it done that way. I know that it can be frustrating removing that stock system while lying on your back. Extra hands is definitely the way to get that done. That stock exhaust just comes out in such large portions, that it's rough that way.

Also, glad you like it! I love the race-car notes and the crescendo up the RPM band that the ATAK has with the Camaro V8 engines. It's definitely my favorite C5 SS exhaust, also.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 11-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #70
rjdapilmoto
DAP-ONE [COTW - 12/23/13]

Drives: 2010 - 2SS/RS IOM
Love my Borla ATAK cat back!!
rjdapilmoto is offline   Reply With Quote