Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-29-2011, 06:55 AM   #141
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrocJack View Post
Here's the pic with the article.
Seriously? That's the dog that killed the lady?
Old 08-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #142
CamaroLoco

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro SS
Don't know if this got posted on this thread or not but I just came across it tonight. It's a book called "The Top 10 of Everything" for 2011. I was using it to find some trivia stuff for a contest at work.

It lists the Top 10 most Aggressive Dogs....the research "according to the book" was compiled with regard to 33 breeds and the "experiences" of 6,000 owners.
The research was conducted by the University of Pennsylvania.

10. German Shepard
9. Boarder Collie
8. English Springer Spaniel
7. Beagle (No! Not Snoopy!)
6. Pit Bull
5. Australian Cattle Dog (Red & Blue Healers)
4. Akita
3. Jack Russell Terrier
2. Chihuahua
1. Dachshund

Yeah, I was pretty surprised. My vet said that Golden Retrievers are responsible for the most bites in the USA and they're not on the list.

Moral of the story?.....none....just saw the thread and happened to stumble on this "top 10 list" at the same time.

Won't be getting a Dachshund any time soon though!
CamaroLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:35 PM   #143
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Yeah Ive seen that list before. One thing to consider with reguards to the boarder collie, beagle, heelers and any other "cattle dogs" is that they've been breed for herding for many years. Lots of people keep these dogs and don't have enough space and time to exercise them, which builds frustration on the dogs part. Add that on top of the fact that most people use these dogs for family dogs, not realizing that out of boredom they'll begin trying to "herd" their children by nipping at their heels. Thats the main reason you'll find herding dogs on these lists. Collie's and heelers are notorious for this
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:45 PM   #144
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFord View Post
Yeah Ive seen that list before. One thing to consider with reguards to the boarder collie, beagle, heelers and any other "cattle dogs" is that they've been breed for herding for many years. Lots of people keep these dogs and don't have enough space and time to exercise them, which builds frustration on the dogs part. Add that on top of the fact that most people use these dogs for family dogs, not realizing that out of boredom they'll begin trying to "herd" their children by nipping at their heels. Thats the main reason you'll find herding dogs on these lists. Collie's and heelers are notorious for this
And from my personal experience Akitas and Shar Pei's are some of the most stubborn dogs. Very hard to train, and once they establish dominance it's hard to bring them back to a submissive stage.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #145
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

don't know about Shar Pei's but Akitas, and siberian huskies are more like cat's in that they don't have an overwhelming urge to please their masters. Siberians it's more because they are very smart dogs, and if they don't feel like doing something they wont. Akitas, if they're not interested they'll ignore you. Also you have to remember Akitas and another japanese breed I cant remember (got a curly tail) Are the oldest breeds on earth...in otherwords they are genetically closer to wolves than any other breed

Last edited by TFord; 08-29-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:17 AM   #146
IrocJack

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
And from my personal experience Akitas and Shar Pei's are some of the most stubborn dogs. Very hard to train, and once they establish dominance it's hard to bring them back to a submissive stage.
My 1st wife was like that.
IrocJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #147
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
List are funny. I'll take 100 aggressive Chihuahua bites over 1 aggressive Pit Bull bite.

Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #148
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrocJack View Post
My 1st wife was like that.

I agree with the list, I've taken care of quite a few dogs and its pretty accurate....
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #149
PETRA
My Addiction

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS DropTop
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroLoco View Post
....It lists the Top 10 most Aggressive Dogs....the research "according to the book" was compiled with regard to 33 breeds and the "experiences" of 6,000 owners. The research was conducted by the University of Pennsylvania.

10. German Shepard
9. Boarder Collie
8. English Springer Spaniel
7. Beagle (No! Not Snoopy!)
6. Pit Bull
5. Australian Cattle Dog (Red & Blue Healers)
4. Akita
3. Jack Russell Terrier
2. Chihuahua
1. Dachshund
Ok so everyone stay away from my house! My only safe dog is a boxer. In addition to him I have a rat terrier - which may as well be a jack russell - a chihuahua - and a chihuahua/dachshund mix......

SUWEET! All this time I thought they would be hiding under the bed if anyone ever broke in!
You sound like my wife...at first she was.........but after a few rides in it and seeing me giggle lik a schoolgirl she was more like ............but then when I told her we could get her Vert lowered to match my stance she was like so it all worked out.
PETRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #150
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
There's a lady who came in PetSmart with a badly scraped up pitbull dog. It looked like it had been taken straight from the fighting pits. When asked what happened to it she told this story: She had rescued it from the shelter for her and her 5 year old daughter. Newly single, she wanted a big dog for protection. She had the dog a couple of weeks when she heard a horrible commotion out in the yard, where the dog and her daughter were playing. (NEVER leave a small child unattended with a dog)
She ran out the door in time to see the dog shielding the daughter from a cougar. Mom grabbed the girl and the dog held the cougar off while mom got daughter in the house, got her gun and shot the cougar.
Met a man who keeps a German Shepherd for his heart attack dog. It can tell when his heart is getting iffy. It alerted in a diner on another customer and saved their life.
Know of a Newfoundland who dragged his buddy the lab 5 miles home by the collar after the lab got hit by a car.
Owned a Malamute German Shepherd cross that woke me up because the heater was malfunctioning, before it ignited. Repair guy said "Give that dog a T-bone, she saved your life it sounds like".

Good and bad in everything, guys. There's a bazillion good dogs out there. Lots of them are pit bulls and BORDER collies. Hearing opinions from the people who don't understand dogs is a lot like hearing that guy who looked under the hood of the Chevelle and said "Yup, that's a Hemi".

'tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #151
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Dogs can also smell/detect cancer.. They are very intelligent.
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:07 PM   #152
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
There's a lady who came in PetSmart with a badly scraped up pitbull dog. It looked like it had been taken straight from the fighting pits. When asked what happened to it she told this story: She had rescued it from the shelter for her and her 5 year old daughter. Newly single, she wanted a big dog for protection. She had the dog a couple of weeks when she heard a horrible commotion out in the yard, where the dog and her daughter were playing. (NEVER leave a small child unattended with a dog)
She ran out the door in time to see the dog shielding the daughter from a cougar. Mom grabbed the girl and the dog held the cougar off while mom got daughter in the house, got her gun and shot the cougar.
Met a man who keeps a German Shepherd for his heart attack dog. It can tell when his heart is getting iffy. It alerted in a diner on another customer and saved their life.
Know of a Newfoundland who dragged his buddy the lab 5 miles home by the collar after the lab got hit by a car.
Owned a Malamute German Shepherd cross that woke me up because the heater was malfunctioning, before it ignited. Repair guy said "Give that dog a T-bone, she saved your life it sounds like".

Good and bad in everything, guys. There's a bazillion good dogs out there. Lots of them are pit bulls and BORDER collies. Hearing opinions from the people who don't understand dogs is a lot like hearing that guy who looked under the hood of the Chevelle and said "Yup, that's a Hemi".

'tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt.
When I had a stroke my buddies pit wouldn't leave my side...looking back I should have known something was wrong because of how his dog was acting.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:00 PM   #153
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFord View Post
Are you saying that to defend those dogs against their actions?
Maybe I am reading it wrong, but I took that to be an excuse for why they are on the list, or a sort of proof for why they arent really dangerous, or why their actions are "ok" and should be held against them.

Everybody looks at pit bulls and thinks of their fighting history... but let's analyze their past a little too.....

They came from "cattle dogs" as well, but not from herding, rather from catching. That is where the bull dog came from. people took the bull dog and added some terrier to make them quicker and more nimble in the ring... which in itself increased the prey drive known to all terriers....
to this day pit bulls are commonly used as hunting dogs. There is no other dog in the world that I want with me when hunting wild hogs. (as a catch dog, tracking/bay dogs are a different story).

This is a breed who's sole existance was to catch big game animals, or fight other dogs. They were bred to be loyal and to do ANYTHING to please their master. Which is why we are in the trouble we are now. They will repeat any behavior that you show them you like, such as agressive behavior. They are prone to be aggressive towards animals BUT NOT humans.

in the south, there was once a monthly event locally called a "hog catch" where a hog was released into a pen, then a pit bull was released into the pen to catch the hog. It started out from the need to train hunting dogs, then became a friendly contest of who had the better hunting dog, and then it became sport until it was abused and shut down for animal cruelty.
I went to these events probably 10-15 times overall. There would be anywhere from 50-150 pit bulls there (20-50 hogs). a good 75% of the pit bulls would simply be left chained to the fence that circled the property (not the "arena"). Children as young as 4 years old were running around freely playing with any and all of these dogs tied along the fence. From the first time that I heard of these events, throughout the time that I was there, and on past to the time when they were shut down (2 if not 3 years), there is only 1 person to my knowledge who was ever bitten by a pit bull..... and it was myself. It was my own dog, she had recently had puppies, we had seperated them from her, her milk did not discharge on its own, and she was being poisened from the inside out. She bit me on accident, by grabbing the side of my pants and shaking it.... her goal was to get my attention because she was sick and I had failed to see the signs. There was no aggression in her actions.

People think that your average pet pit bull is such a danger, a ticking time bomb. Most of them have never been exposed to aggression, and most all owners will say they have never even growled at anybody... but they are so dangerous?
Here we had 100's of pit bulls that were trained to be downright vicous TO A HOG, and none of them every hurt anybody. wow, what a concept?
Old 09-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #154
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
Are you saying that to defend those dogs against their actions?
Maybe I am reading it wrong, but I took that to be an excuse for why they are on the list, or a sort of proof for why they arent really dangerous, or why their actions are "ok" and should be held against them.

Everybody looks at pit bulls and thinks of their fighting history... but let's analyze their past a little too.....

They came from "cattle dogs" as well, but not from herding, rather from catching. That is where the bull dog came from. people took the bull dog and added some terrier to make them quicker and more nimble in the ring... which in itself increased the prey drive known to all terriers....
to this day pit bulls are commonly used as hunting dogs. There is no other dog in the world that I want with me when hunting wild hogs. (as a catch dog, tracking/bay dogs are a different story).

This is a breed who's sole existance was to catch big game animals, or fight other dogs. They were bred to be loyal and to do ANYTHING to please their master. Which is why we are in the trouble we are now. They will repeat any behavior that you show them you like, such as agressive behavior. They are prone to be aggressive towards animals BUT NOT humans.

in the south, there was once a monthly event locally called a "hog catch" where a hog was released into a pen, then a pit bull was released into the pen to catch the hog. It started out from the need to train hunting dogs, then became a friendly contest of who had the better hunting dog, and then it became sport until it was abused and shut down for animal cruelty.
I went to these events probably 10-15 times overall. There would be anywhere from 50-150 pit bulls there (20-50 hogs). a good 75% of the pit bulls would simply be left chained to the fence that circled the property (not the "arena"). Children as young as 4 years old were running around freely playing with any and all of these dogs tied along the fence. From the first time that I heard of these events, throughout the time that I was there, and on past to the time when they were shut down (2 if not 3 years), there is only 1 person to my knowledge who was ever bitten by a pit bull..... and it was myself. It was my own dog, she had recently had puppies, we had seperated them from her, her milk did not discharge on its own, and she was being poisened from the inside out. She bit me on accident, by grabbing the side of my pants and shaking it.... her goal was to get my attention because she was sick and I had failed to see the signs. There was no aggression in her actions.

People think that your average pet pit bull is such a danger, a ticking time bomb. Most of them have never been exposed to aggression, and most all owners will say they have never even growled at anybody... but they are so dangerous?
Here we had 100's of pit bulls that were trained to be downright vicous TO A HOG, and none of them every hurt anybody. wow, what a concept?
I completely agree with you, feel free to read my prior posts. I was just pointing out the main reason you find collies and other herding dogs on the list. Most people don't know collies, etc need lots of space and exersize. They tend to "herd" kids when they dont get enought stimulation. I didn't mean to put cattle dogs, which is a totally different sub-breed.