Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-21-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Popular Mechanics review of 2010 Camaro

This was already posted by tran in the compilation thread but I was really looking forward to their review and found it really interesting. It should help ease some of the questions that have been going around as well.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4309166.html

The ending reaallly surprised me.

Quote:
The V8 version starts at $30,995 and the V6 at $22,995—tremendous bang for little green. It's hard to argue with this car's performance, style or refinement. Yes, refinement. In fact, the Camaro is almost too polished. It's abilities and confidence-inspiring nature are impressive, but we finished our time with the car wondering if the transformation from street fighter to gentleman left some of the soul out. Maybe we're overly nostalgic for older cars that were never this good. It's hard to knock a car with so few faults, but we want a Camaro with a little bad-ass in it. And in our brief time with the new one, we didn't find that. There's hope, however. Check out the hood budge. It provides plenty of room for the Corvette ZR1's supercharger. We bet 600 or more horsepower would make it plenty evil.
Did anyone else foresee reviewers thinking this car had too much refinement and not enough brunt force? Me thinks they're a bit jaded... 426hp 4.7sec 0-60... what's not street fighter about that?
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
Camarino
DrIvE iT LiKe Ya STOLE It

Drives: 2005 Mustang, '68 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
This was already posted by tran in the compilation thread but I was really looking forward to their review and found it really interesting. It should help ease some of the questions that have been going around as well.

Did anyone else foresee reviewers thinking this car had too much refinement and not enough brunt force? Me thinks they're a bit jaded... 426hp 4.7sec 0-60... what's not street fighter about that?
when i first saw the concept and production model i feared that about the for lack of better word "outsiders" but was alleviated when i saw the performance specs soo yea me thinks they're a bit jaded
Old 03-21-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
love PM
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post

they're basically talking about how the car FEELS. Maybe a louder exhaust or steering feel would have helped, I dunno. Maybe it does that 0-60 in 4.7 in a boring way. I know my car felt very unimpressive even though it was able to trap 110-111 as well when stock.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
1camaro4me

Drives: Ordered: 2ss w/RS IOM
WTF......

They either say it's too much a muscle car (like that's some unintended crime) or they say it isn't muscle enough.

This car is exactly what a 2010 muscle car should be. Don't you think that if the technology back in 1969 were what it is today that car would be pretty close to this one?
1camaro4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1camaro4me View Post
WTF......

They either say it's too much a muscle car (like that's some unintended crime) or they say it isn't muscle enough.

This car is exactly what a 2010 muscle car should be. Don't you think that if the technology back in 1969 were what it is today that car would be pretty close to this one?
it's not really a muscle car. it's a pony car.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
they're basically talking about how the car FEELS. Maybe a louder exhaust or steering feel would have helped, I dunno. Maybe it does that 0-60 in 4.7 in a boring way. I know my car felt very unimpressive even though it was able to trap 110-111 as well when stock.
Really? Then why would they say this and mention adding a supercharger if they were talking about sound/feel...

Quote:
Above 3500 rpm, the engine switches to the thunderous V8 we lusted after. The power curve is smooth; there's no hit as the revs climb, just an ever-growing roar and steadily increasing thrust all the way to the 6600-rpm redline.
And Muscle car, pony car, whatever. That's all semantics.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
I'll definately want a little exhaust note below 3500, easily fixed. I am glad PM was able to give it a good test with a favorable review, and they want to do another, I would too
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
69 rs/ss

Drives: 1969 rs/ss & 2010 L99 #3747 4/28/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1camaro4me View Post
WTF......

I agree. This car would beat any production 69 Camaro accept the COPO
69 rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:50 PM   #10
eddiehaskell

Drives: Pinto
Quote:
We hit 100 mph in 10.74 seconds and the quarter-mile was dispatched in 13.02 seconds at 111.43 mph.
111.43 mph!!!!!!!!!! WOW.
eddiehaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:45 AM   #11
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
I liked this part after all the back and forth interior gripes. I tend to believe auto rags are poring over the Camaro's interior with an over-educated fine tooth comb and noticing things that your average driver wont. Who the **** scratches there IP to see if it's soft or hard? As long as it doesn't scream cheap, whcih people her have said it doesn't, I'm happy because I'm getting 400 horses (A6) of american power.

Quote:
Nestled in the wide and rather flat leather bucket seat, we took in the new dash. There's a lot of black plastic, especially across the passenger side. But this is as good as plastic gets, and at least the main gauges are artfully designed.

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:36 AM   #12
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner

Drives: 2006 Chevy Equinox AWD/LT
Not to offend ANYONE that has these feelings, but I find it extremely childish of people who use a car to enhance or replace their manhood.

Saying they want the car to feel more "bad ass" is saying that they think a car makes THEM "bad ass". This reeks of a childish insecurity. It reinforces all of the pony car stereotypes that a car is just a replacement for a man's penis and "the bigger the engine, the smaller the johnson".

I don't know, when so-called adults speak about "chewing up Mustangs" and being "bad ass" and all of that stuff, I just roll my eyes.

The Camaro is PLENTY "bad ass" this last sentence:

"It's hard to knock a car with so few faults, but we want a Camaro with a little bad-ass in it. And in our brief time with the new one, we didn't find that. There's hope, however. Check out the hood budge. It provides plenty of room for the Corvette ZR1's supercharger. We bet 600 or more horsepower would make it plenty evil."

That's something I expect some 22 year old who still brags about how drunk he got last night to say. Not grown, middle-aged men.
StarkyLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:42 AM   #13
Mattsack789

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
OK, they're not saying that there is anything wrong with it. They probably just want a good way to end the article!!! They obviously enjoyed it.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:42 AM   #14
cam2fst4u

Drives: 08 SS trailblazer,08 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to cam2fst4u
I think they forgot to mention they test flew the space shuttle right before test driving the camaro... I could see where that would make it appear not so exciting....lol
cam2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote