Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 12-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
FUTURE TOP DOG OWNER

Drives: future 500+hp Z28
GM SHUT DOWN IN CANADA

Just heard some bad news !! They said that gm canada is shuting down all
operations for the month of jan!!! I guess this puts the camaro on hold for now!!!!
FUTURE TOP DOG OWNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
If I'm not mistaken, this is normal. Don't get too worked up until we know for sure the Camaro's in trouble.

As of...two days ago (I think), Camaro's still on-track and doing very well.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Let's see a link... and even if it were true, it would only be in anticipation of starting operations again for the Camaro in Feb.
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
This will mean a delay for camaro. It's also a good way for GM to put pressure o the Canadian govt.for funding.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #5
bob2the2nd

Drives: CGM 2LT RS
its not just canada its most north american plants...

current return date Feb 9th :(

http://www.freep.com/article/2008121...ESS01/81212044
bob2the2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Here's the only article I've seen...they didn't specify which plants are effected.

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid={B1B4392C-11D0-4CCC-A3DC-31B4EB3AA1B7}&siteid=yhoof2
Old 12-12-2008, 11:39 AM   #7
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
It almost sounds like the Camaro could continue unaffected as it isn't set for full production until Feb 16.

This may not affect the camaro at all. Seems to be a reasonable thought.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I just heard it on the news at noon. I also found this, it gives some hope:

Quote:
Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222, also told CTV Newsnet that GM has announced its car plants in Oshawa, Ont., east of Toronto will shut down for the entire month of January and the first two weeks of February.
Full article

If I'm not mistaken, the Camaro should still be on track. Its production begins right when these plants are supposed to be coming back online. I hope . . .
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #9
GTAHVIT
Blessed

^Get out of my head DG.

If you stay in there too long I'll start saying "eeh" and "zed"....
Old 12-12-2008, 11:44 AM   #10
bob2the2nd

no offense but i dont see how this wont impact the camaro. At this point I think its pretty obvious we are now going into at least a 6 week delay. Test cars still need to be built and the car tweaked and if the plant isnt operating that stuff doesnt continue to happen.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #11
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
Assuming there is a delay, would this give them time to make sure certain things work perfectly (Ex. ambient lighting). Or will the Camaro go untouched and unworked on while there's a delay?
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:50 AM   #12
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2the2nd View Post
no offense but i dont see how this wont impact the camaro. At this point I think its pretty obvious we are now going into at least a 6 week delay. Test cars still need to be built and the car tweaked and if the plant isnt operating that stuff doesnt continue to happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFiles View Post
Assuming there is a delay, would this give them time to make sure certain things work perfectly (Ex. ambient lighting). Or will the Camaro go untouched and unworked on while there's a delay?
Well, my read on the article is they are going to decrease production of cars already available for sale. The Camaro Flex line is only producing 6 or so cars a day and they are not for sale. Regular production starts on Feb 16th. So it may be conceivable that the regular production date won't change. There isn't any money to be saved by delaying the Camaro. The FLEX line isn't fully staffed and they need every dollar asap. So my hope is that they will push to get the Camaro out on schedule. Now, what I can see happening is they reduce the 80k - 100k Camaro's a year down. But that just means the return on investment will take longer...

Someone else has already said it, but, Glass half full mentality.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #13
bob2the2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Well, my read on the article is they are going to decrease production of cars already available for sale. The Camaro Flex line is only producing 6 or so cars a day and they are not for sale. Regular production starts on Feb 16th. So it may be conceivable that the regular production date won't change. There isn't any money to be saved by delaying the Camaro. The FLEX line isn't fully staffed and they need every dollar asap. So my hope is that they will push to get the Camaro out on schedule. Now, what I can see happening is they reduce the 80k - 100k Camaro's a year down. But that just means the return on investment will take longer...

Someone else has already said it, but, Glass half full mentality.
i hope to jeebus you're right...

shrugs... keep the faith
Old 12-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #14
RallyFever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
The plants are shutting down for production purposes. Test cars will be available and the Camaro will launch as planned. Everyone needs to relax. The Camaro is the one vehicle with guaranteed sales; not to mention they don't even have to rebate or red tag them to sell them.

If there is only one plant producing GM vehicles in Feb, you better believe it will be Oshawa.
RallyFever is offline   Reply With Quote