Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
Front left tire looks this way

As the picture I hopefully attached shows, my front left tire looks like this.

It looks as if the rubber has been cut up, and is looking rather flakey and weathered like that. None of the other tires look this way. All tires were purchased at the same time.

PS, I only remade this thread because I had no clue how to post a picture in the other one without having remade it.

As from the previous thread "My front left right has a odd tread wear pattern when compared to the other 3 tires. It looks like its flaking almost? Like bits of rubber along the tires contact surface have been slightly sliced up or something? Does this description make sense and bring any probably causes to mind for anyone?"
Attached Images

camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
jkemp16

Drives: 2015 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
Get your alignment checked...
jkemp16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Looks like cracking in the tire groove caused by ultra violet and ozone damage.
The tire is failing and is showing accelerated wear. What is the date code on the tire?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
bluebox

Drives: '12 1SS LS3 IBM/SIM
Is it this way all the way around, or just the couple of chunks in the pic? It looks like the classic "cut tire", where you might have run over something going around a corner.

Now: Invo's on Nurburgs | Ext. Eng. catch can | heritage grille
Next: a few Pedders bits, tighten it up | better sways | drop coils, maybe | CAI, exhaust, JRE tune
Then I'm done, I swear.

bluebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
ECCamaro
High Desert Camaro Man

Drives: White Convertible-Tan Top 2SS V8
I agree on getting the alignment checked. Have you noticed the car pulling in one direction or the other? Also from the picture it may just be that you have a bad tire. In one of the grooves it also looks like there is some cracking. I know that I purchased brand new tires for my Seabring last year and one of them is showing cracks. I went back to where I purchased it and got a new one. They said it was possibly a bad batch of material. In my case I was within the warranty period and did not have a lot of miles on it because I had not driven it much.

Good luck
ECCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECCamaro View Post
I agree on getting the alignment checked. Have you noticed the car pulling in one direction or the other? Also from the picture it may just be that you have a bad tire. In one of the grooves it also looks like there is some cracking. I know that I purchased brand new tires for my Seabring last year and one of them is showing cracks. I went back to where I purchased it and got a new one. They said it was possibly a bad batch of material. In my case I was within the warranty period and did not have a lot of miles on it because I had not driven it much.

Good luck
I have actually noticed that if I am driving straight and I let the wheel go it pulls slightly to the left over time. So ya I guess it is a alignment issue then.

I have also noticed that when I hit a bump in the road or a small dip etc the tires tend to point in that direction and I have to hold the wheel firmly to direct the car in the path I want instead.
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote