Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 03-31-2015, 03:02 AM   #1
bignaz

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
3d Printer + Camaro + Free time

Here i will be using a 3d printer to do some custom stuff for my Camaro and posting the results. Thinks will be stuff from simple Light pipes to more complex things. I may make extra parts to sell so those will be listed in the clasafied section after i have tested the design.

What colors will i be working with? All of them. I have around 45lbs of filament. I have Black, Red, White, Green, Clear, Gold, Silver, Gray, Orange, Yellow, uv color changing, temp color changing, Transparent, orange, yellow, red, green, blue, black "smoked", And more i know im forgetting some colors. So i can pretty much do anything. And on top of the Typical PLA, ABS i have Carbon nano tube, Nylon, High temp plastics, TPU, Glass and some other stuff "I do some 3D printing for my work."

Now for some good news and some bad news. Some stuff will be one off things for me only. Some will be stuff i plan on selling. But for the most part most of the stuff i will consider making a small amount for sale for those who do not have access to a 3d printer and want it as well as uploading the file to thingiverse so it will be free to download and print.

First up is a AC vent gauge mount. Pretty simple just pop it in and it holds the gauge. Direct drop in. As of right now i have it roughed up ready to test print and check fit then add on the locking tabs. Will take around 25gr of filament. Total cost for me is going to be around $0.49 in filament. Yup beats buying one. I have a few other things i need to finish up so i will be doing it this weekend and should have it finished in a few days.

Edit. Did a quick print to test out some new red filament. Bought it for a project my buddy wants done so i wanted to see how it prints at some temps. Made a quick little ring. Fits in the vent perfect and holds a 2 inch auto meter boost gauge perfect. So i will go forward with this. Going to work on a flat as well as a flush mount version. This weekend i will measure the locking tabs on the stock vent and make the rev 1 of the mount and test it. So im shooting by Sunday to have a mount that just pops in and locks using the stock tabs. So pretty easy and not much left to do on it. The hard part is over and that was just making the holes the right size. Also note the holder and tablet mount were printed fast. So they looks pretty bad. Final versions will be really nice with a much lower layer height. Right now im printing at 380 micron layers but final versions will be 50-200 micron all depends on if i want to go crazy.

Side not also did a quick and sloppy mount for my shield tablet. going to change a few things on it and clean it up but it works great. Tested out android auto at CES and decided that i wanted to go with full android. And as you can see from the pic. It clears the vol and tuner knob

New version of the Nvidia Shield tablet mount. Should work untested but printing it out right now. The first version worked quite will so this one should to but i will be testing it. I do not know if it will work on any other tablets since the Shield is kind of a odd duck due to the thickness of it having a pen and the front facing speakers. Feel free to test it out if you have a 3d printer and a Shield tablet. I will be making a small number of them if people with the tablets let me know they are interested but do not have a 3d printer.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:755429/#files
Attached Images

Last edited by bignaz; 04-03-2015 at 10:25 PM.
bignaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:53 AM   #2
Splat1two

Drives: 2015 2ss 1le
Staying tuned, lets see what you can do!!
Splat1two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:16 PM   #3
StephenofSD
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2014 2LS A6 "Storm"
subscribed!

Mods
Exterior: Fender Hash Stripes, Z/28 Spoiler
Interior: Led Map Light, Green Led Footwell Lighting
StephenofSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:05 PM   #4
concrete jungle
Hitman

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Sounds cool! Can't wait to see.

Build your dream one day at a time . . . I did . . .
https://www.facebook.com/tonyrowe1966

*Caution ~ side effects may include soiled underwear if trajectory isn't kept straight...
concrete jungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:06 PM   #5
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenofSD View Post
subscribed!

+1
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:33 PM   #6
bignaz

Small update.

Gauge holder is all sized and a quick test fit worked great. SO that will be finished soon. Put a pic of the print i made to check some of my diamentions. Now im going to start on the rev 1 version of the mount with locking clips and some visual tweaks.

Tablet holder. Holds a nvidia shield and holds it great. quick sloppy print to see if i liked it. And i do so today i will start on my rev 1.1 of that. Changed some diamentions and from a few days of use i got some tweaks im going to do it to. Next one will be much smoother in the front i did some crazy high layer heights for speed so the next one im going to try 200 micron since this will be the one i use day to day.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:52 PM   #7
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
subbed
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #8
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Cool stuff. I'm scared to get a 3D printer, I'll probably make dame near everything out of it and have plastic stuff all over the house... lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2015, 07:28 PM   #9
bignaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Cool stuff. I'm scared to get a 3D printer, I'll probably make dame near everything out of it and have plastic stuff all over the house... lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah that sucks when you do that. I picked up one then a week later picked up a bigger one. After a while i just got some cheap filament from Microcenter so that helped out a ton lol. Went from $35 for 2.2lbs to $15 for 2.2lbs.

Comes in very handy.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:28 AM   #10
bignaz

Lower mount is finished. STL's uploaded. I have 2 mounts. One blank and one with the Camaro font spelling Camaro but i did kind of a 8bit twist on it to mix some stuff up. I have the higher res version that looks like the camaro logo i just have to upload it. But here is a pic of the blank lower mount and the Camaro version.

The holes are for mounting. Ill be doing 2 seprate holders for a phone and ipod that the cables will exit the bottomn that will be also used with this lower. As is when you print. You push it in its going to stay. I made it a super tight fit. If you want to swap the mounts then you will need to so a little sanding so it stays tight but not so tight you can not remove it. New upper mount that is uploaded is printing right now.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2015, 01:53 PM   #11
bignaz

New tablet holder. Still have some sanding and finishing to do. Lighter and now it has a cut out for the soft keys. Works great. Decided to round off the bottom so im still sanding and finishing that.

Blue tape is not needed just to keep it fom being scratched because its not finished yet and might have a sharp piece of plastic on the inside. And for some reason my S5 decided that it will not focus for me.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2015, 05:12 AM   #12
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignaz View Post
New tablet holder. Still have some sanding and finishing to do. Lighter and now it has a cut out for the soft keys. Works great. Decided to round off the bottom so im still sanding and finishing that.

Blue tape is not needed just to keep it fom being scratched because its not finished yet and might have a sharp piece of plastic on the inside. And for some reason my S5 decided that it will not focus for me.

I really like the pictures, since you have the 3D printer, you should try to make a mount for the tablet as the radio. It would probably look awesome.

Side question: how strong is the material that you are printing with? I keep picturing making stuff and pressing it too hard or something and it just breaks.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:23 AM   #13
Splat1two

Drives: 2015 2ss 1le
any updates?!?!
Splat1two is offline   Reply With Quote