Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-29-2010, 09:46 AM   #323
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Definitely no different satellite, it does probably have something to do with the real time or polling for burst transmissions of real time data that the Gen 8 was not set up to do.
i'd also toss in that there's probably a good deal of a security upgrade and possibly some additional hardware encryption. thus the hardware being completely un-upgradeable.

most of these types of units aren't built with plug n play swap-ability. this isn't a computer, you cant just pull out your ecm like you would a video card and expect the latest and greatest after a restart.

and since most of you guys complaining are iphone people, did you even know when an app requests to use your information (like GPS location for example), it's not the app actually asking you but apple's servers?

the app sends a request to apple, who randomizes a request to you; which gets approved and then gets sent back to the app as a greenlight to poll your data.

most of you whining like high-schoolers dont even comprehend how much security there is involved in allowing a phone app to contact a car. personally, i'd be a bit concerned if functionality like this just worked magically on older hardware models of the onstar equipment; but luckily, GM employs engineers that know what they're doin. certainly not to try and **** those of us (at least me included prior to july of this year) who got a 2010 model camaro.

the number one reason why copy and paste took so long on the iphone was also, you guessed it; due to security concerns between apps.

might be about time you guys realize that while your great gear heads; you might not know everything. and there's nothing wrong with that, just dont look so immature stating it.
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #324
DragonCamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolteon593 View Post
i'd also toss in that there's probably a good deal of a security upgrade and possibly some additional hardware encryption. thus the hardware being completely un-upgradeable.

most of these types of units aren't built with plug n play swap-ability. this isn't a computer, you cant just pull out your ecm like you would a video card and expect the latest and greatest after a restart.

and since most of you guys complaining are iphone people, did you even know when an app requests to use your information (like GPS location for example), it's not the app actually asking you but apple's servers?

the app sends a request to apple, who randomizes a request to you; which gets approved and then gets sent back to the app as a greenlight to poll your data.

most of you whining like high-schoolers dont even comprehend how much security there is involved in allowing a phone app to contact a car. personally, i'd be a bit concerned if functionality like this just worked magically on older hardware models of the onstar equipment; but luckily, GM employs engineers that know what they're doin. certainly not to try and **** those of us (at least me included prior to july of this year) who got a 2010 model camaro.

the number one reason why copy and paste took so long on the iphone was also, you guessed it; due to security concerns between apps.

might be about time you guys realize that while your great gear heads; you might not know everything. and there's nothing wrong with that, just dont look so immature stating it.
So your telling me that they upgraded the hardware between years? I don't know how OnStar does things on the hardware or software side and i don't think anyone here would know for sure how they do things unless you work for them. Encryption is software base and hardware that does encryption just has, once again, software on it to do that function (but you more then likely would have to have that hardware in order to to the decrypt/encrypt of the stream). Now if they added something to the hardware then yeah thats life like the evolution of the computer and how you have to buy completely new every once in a while because new hardware wont be compatible with old hardware. Im not the greatest gear head because i started to get into car when i got my 2000 TA 5 years ago so i am way behind the curve on that side but im a programmer and sometimes you just cant do things even when "it would be cool to have" comes up. Sometimes its to much of an undertaking to do it but would be nice to have kind of moments.

Side note I'm an Android user lol
3300 : date unknown TPW 17 AUG 09
3400 : 17 AUG 09 3800 : 25 AUG 09 2G1FT1EW4A9139424
4000 :
4B00 :
4200 : 25 AUG 09 -- #ETTX820939
5000 : 4 SEP 09
DragonCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #325
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonCamaro View Post
So your telling me that they upgraded the hardware between years? I don't know how OnStar does things on the hardware or software side and i don't think anyone here would know for sure how they do things unless you work for them. Encryption is software base and hardware that does encryption just has, once again, software on it to do that function (but you more then likely would have to have that hardware in order to to the decrypt/encrypt of the stream). Now if they added something to the hardware then yeah thats life like the evolution of the computer and how you have to buy completely new every once in a while because new hardware wont be compatible with old hardware. Im not the greatest gear head because i started to get into car when i got my 2000 TA 5 years ago so i am way behind the curve on that side but im a programmer and sometimes you just cant do things even when "it would be cool to have" comes up. Sometimes its to much of an undertaking to do it but would be nice to have kind of moments.

Side note I'm an Android user lol
The hardware was updated 100% for sure. They stated this in the releases that SOME new 2011's have Gen 9 hardware which allows this capability.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #326
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:

Great post!
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #327
Sasquatch
C5 THAKILYETI

Drives: 2LTRS
You guys should start a separate thread to discuss your game-testing bugs, ok? Have fun.

Oh yeah, F U ONSTAR GTFO OF MY LIFE. REAL BAD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #328
DragonCamaro

Quote:
The hardware was updated 100% for sure. They stated this in the releases that SOME new 2011's have Gen 9 hardware which allows this capability.
Then its a closed case 2010 wont get it and thats life...would be cool to have moments LOL
4000 :
4B00 :
Old 10-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #329
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
You guys should start a separate thread to discuss your game-testing bugs, ok? Have fun.

Oh yeah, F U ONSTAR GTFO OF MY LIFE. REAL BAD.

dont you have a v6 to drive?
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #330
DragonCamaro

bolteon593 did we hijack the thread?? lol and thats a low blow
4000 :
4B00 :
Old 10-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #331
Duper

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / RS
Quote:
Yes it is bad, because its a useless review. The app is not for your vehicle, its for a 2011 vehicle, therefore its useless to you but not to people who have what it was DESIGNED FOR. Its almost like bitching a game for the PC doesn't work on your Mac.

I believe barely anything on this forum because theres a lot of blah blah blah blah crap coming from people. The PRESS RELEASES that were available on news sites and here all stated 2011 only.

I can't comment on the movie, I can't watch it here at work. The fact that the screen doesn't rotate is lame but if the app actually did everything that would be a rare problem as you can likely set it to remain logged in like many other droid apps so you rarely see the login screen. It wasn't designed to give your latest report, or anything other than function with certain 2011 onstar equipped vehicles. Any review otherwise is a waste of space.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #332
nashstat

Drives: 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chobbs11 View Post
So the car is more expensive but we get less onstar service? You seem to have made my point. 2010 owners got a better deal. My my real point is all the crying about this is a little embarrassing. All the indignant attitudes ("How dare they!"...seriously?) and the techno babble ("there is no reason this shouldn't work for the 2010's because blah blah blah" , as if you know what your talking about)

It's great to express your dislike for something but some of the rants on here are downright childish.
Agree with you on this, there are several threads about this topic and for one if people don't like OnStar they should cancel the subscription. No one is holding a gun to them.

However most people here are upset about the fact that the 2010 Camaro was supposed to be the latest and greatest technology car and it already is outdated within a year.

Sorry I have to fault GM on this, because the 2010 Camaro was their first vehicle out of bankruptcy so the crowd here just feel short changed.

Anyways it is what it is, people just have to live with it and it appears that GM will make this available for 2010 models next year.
nashstat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #333
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Yes it is bad, because its a useless review. The app is not for your vehicle, its for a 2011 vehicle, therefore its useless to you but not to people who have what it was DESIGNED FOR. Its almost like bitching a game for the PC doesn't work on your Mac..
I disagree. Read my previous statements. Initially on the app store and watch the movie is nothing mentioned about 2011 only. The description had not changed when I posted my review in the app store.

What I found rather funny was that it made me go ahead get my pin get all ready only to tell me "Vehicles on this account are unsupported"

Maybe this "USELESS" app could have had a list of supported vehicles in the splash screen, or given me information before installing. In this case it wasn't clear. All I had were the postings here.

Also are you going to get all bent out of shape when I post my review of the Chevrolet App, that bombs every time I try to click on owners manual?

Quote:
I believe barely anything on this forum because theres a lot of blah blah blah blah crap coming from people. The PRESS RELEASES that were available on news sites and here all stated 2011 only.

I can't comment on the movie, I can't watch it here at work. The fact that the screen doesn't rotate is lame but if the app actually did everything that would be a rare problem as you can likely set it to remain logged in like many other droid apps so you rarely see the login screen. It wasn't designed to give your latest report, or anything other than function with certain 2011 onstar equipped vehicles. Any review otherwise is a waste of space.
Truthfully the reason I think this even got released was for the features of the volt.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:00 AM   #334
augustaga

Drives: 08 Ford Taurus X
The new MY Link app supports most 2011 vehicles and 2010 capability is coming in 2011.
If you feel bad with your 2010..Think about the 2011 ZR1 $128K vet owners attitude when even the $ 17K Cruze is fully supported.. Maybe you should go buy a new Cruze, get the app and show off to your friends....
augustaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #335
Sasquatch
C5 THAKILYETI

Drives: 2LTRS
Quote:
dont you have a v6 to drive?
Damn straight, it's a 6! Go write a bug! Stay outta my bushes!

Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #336
zepcom
Zeta Brother to Camaro

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Not to step into this firestorm here, but it works on my 2011 Traverse quite nicely. Very nice app. Hopefully Onstar will backport the functionality back to 2010 camaros...

Or maybe someone could try to see if they could purchase a "re-greened" onstar box from a 2011 camaro installed into their 2010 camaro and see if now the app would work?

I wouldn't think that the 2010 and 2011 onstar modules are all that different...

In fact, we had a somewhat similar "mod" as first and second year G8's came without factory bluetooth for phones. Someone reverse engineered a 2009.5 model year car and found that after re-greening a junked or otherwise off-the-shelf 2009.5 part number onstar module, now you could retrofit factory bluetooth into 2008 and 2009 G8's. My car has this, and it's one of the best upgrades I've done!

Here's to backporting for 2010's. I have no hope for them to backport it to my 2009 G8, so at least the Traverse supports it.

Carry on

--zepcom

--zepcom
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
SOLO Performance HF-Cats &
SOLO Mach Unbalanced Catback with drone-free J-pipes
zepcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, app, chevrolet, iphone, onstar