Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #29
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
Most factory stereos sound bad to those who are accustomed to better sound. Even the so called "premium" BA system uses cheap paper-cone speakers and the factory amp only puts out about 10-15 watts per channel. You really should not expect more from the factory though and it is easy to upgrade the system if you want something better.
Actually the factory amp puts out closer to 50 watts per channel, and just because the speakers are paper cone doesn't make them bad. There are a LOT of high end speakers out there that use paper cones (Including Bose which IMO is not high end but people seem to love it and its overpriced parlor tricks for some strange reason). I'm not saying that the BA system is some sort of godsend to the world of car audio, but people are expecting Aftermarket quality sound out of a $500 option, which is just over the cost of a mid-high end headunit alone. Compare this setup to equivalent price range cars ($~30k, not your mom's Mercedes) and it is not bad. And If I went out and bought a good set of Speakers, Amp, and HU for around a grand it damn well better blow a stock system out of the water.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #30
slicker
slicker

Drives: Cyber Grey 1 LT / RS
and how does that get done
Old 01-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #31
baby02
EYE CANDY

Drives: 1SS RS ABM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCamaroKid View Post
just got my 2ss today and the stock sound system is horrible it might be one of the worst i have ever had in a fully loaded car... why chevy why?
Have you tried tuning it? Once I tuned mine even the people next door made comments on how great it sounded.
baby02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #32
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
I smell something.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #33
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Boston Acoustics is a very good company. OEM systems are not on par with aftermarket systems. If your car came with the GM Boston Acoustics option, it will not sound like an aftermarket Boston Acoustics system.

Seriously, people, reduce your standards to reality. A few people have posted this sort of review, and it is unrealistic to expect a $5,000 system for to price of a $500 option.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #34
RandyB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Actually the factory amp puts out closer to 50 watts per channel, and just because the speakers are paper cone doesn't make them bad.
They advertise the BA system as 245 watts, but they are referring to peak power. GM/Boston are not the only ones to do this; it is very common to see the peak power advertised on audio components (common, but sly IMO). The real measure of an amp is continuous RMS power. The factory BA amp powers 7 channels and puts out about 10 watts RMS to 5 channels and about 15 watts RMS to the 2 6x9 sub channels. This is a total 105 watts RMS and nowhere near 50 watts/channel. If you put a 50 watt/channel amp on the door speakers, you will notice a huge power increase and eliminate much of the distortion caused by the BA amp.

I would somewhat agree with your second point. Not all speakers with paper cones are bad. But these are (IMO).

As I commented in another thread...One's opinion of a sound system is very subjective. If you are accustomed to a better system, then the BA will sound bad. If you are accustomed to factory systems, then the BA will sound good. But, if you think it is not worth upgrading the factory amp because it already puts out 50 watts per channel, then you are misinformed.
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #35
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus7969 View Post
you need to break in the stock sound system just like you have to break in the new camaro engine!
Maximus please dont put ideas in peoples head, i dont want to have to start things again.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #36
RandyB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Boston Acoustics is a very good company. OEM systems are not on par with aftermarket systems. If your car came with the GM Boston Acoustics option, it will not sound like an aftermarket Boston Acoustics system.

Seriously, people, reduce your standards to reality. A few people have posted this sort of review, and it is unrealistic to expect a $5,000 system for to price of a $500 option.
I agree completely...the factory BA system is a good "factory" system and for many (or most?) people that is good enough. I agree it is unrealistic to expect it to sound as good as an aftermarket system. For those who do not like the sound, it is easy enough to upgrade to BA aftermarket stuff or another brand. I do not think posts like "the system sucks" are accurate. The factory system is a good one, but it is what it is. I only disagree with those who think the factory system is as good as an aftermarket component system. It is not.
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:16 PM   #37
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
They advertise the BA system as 245 watts, but they are referring to peak power. GM/Boston are not the only ones to do this; it is very common to see the peak power advertised on audio components (common, but sly IMO). The real measure of an amp is continuous RMS power. The factory BA amp powers 7 channels and puts out about 10 watts RMS to 5 channels and about 15 watts RMS to the 2 6x9 sub channels. This is a total 105 watts RMS and nowhere near 50 watts/channel. If you put a 50 watt/channel amp on the door speakers, you will notice a huge power increase and eliminate much of the distortion caused by the BA amp.

I would somewhat agree with your second point. Not all speakers with paper cones are bad. But these are (IMO).

As I commented in another thread...One's opinion of a sound system is very subjective. If you are accustomed to a better system, then the BA will sound bad. If you are accustomed to factory systems, then the BA will sound good. But, if you think it is not worth upgrading the factory amp because it already puts out 50 watts per channel, then you are misinformed.
I just spent a few minutes searching for it but I can't find it but there was a PDF floating around last year from Visteon (the manufacturer of the amp) stating 245 watts RMS power. You are right however it is 7 channels, I forgot about that. So that would mean 35 watts RMS per channel assuming its divided equally, or maybe 30 to 5 and 47 to 2. I'm very familiar with car audio and yes its common for the lower end amps to have the max power advertised, as well its common for factory audio systems to advertise that too (such as the "500 watt" Monsoon systems in the 4th Gens).

Point being though as you mentioned and I did earlier as well, if you are expecting aftermarket quality you're not gonna get it. IMO its a pretty good sounding system and what I would expect for $500.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #38
slicker
slicker

Drives: Cyber Grey 1 LT / RS
well thats good to know. for me all i want is a lttle more bass with the BA system. the BA system is better then most after markets that i have put in vehicles in the past. but im not one to spend a whole lot on audio systems. so if i can add a little more base and do a clean install i will be happy.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #39
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
I smell something.
I think I stepped in it

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #40
dhammis

Drives: 2LT/RS Transformers Edition
I've only had my car for two weeks and I'm pretty happy with the BA system. Enough so that I haven't considered swapping it out. I've never owned a car in my life that I didn't do some upgrade to the stereo because the factory decks are just plain weak and puny sounding but this one seems a bit different. Obviously replacing the headunit in this would be complex at best and would break some functionality of the other electronics in the car, but a speaker or sub upgrade is certainly feasible. The only thing that I've noticed so far as a big difference is that the bass is a tad weak when you use the preset EQ. I haven't had time to do a manual adjustment which I'm betting would fix that though as most preset EQs are junk anyways.

I've got the Pioneer upgrade in my wife's Equinox and that sounds good as well. Could it and the BA system sound better? Absolutely. But as factory systems go they sound pretty good. Like some previous posters have said, set your expectations properly and you won't be disappointed.
dhammis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #41
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
I did not buy a Camaro SS with an LS3 engine and a six speed manual transmission to sit in it and listen to a radio or CD's. Granted it's good to have a sound system in the car, but IT'S A SPORTS CAR!.

Hey, I don't have a GMPP 572 crate engine in my living room for a coffee table.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #42
thalilbear02

Drives: Searching for 6th Gen 1LE
Roll down the windows and turn off the music... Take right foot and press the pedal on the right hand side... That's a pretty good soundtrack to me, I really could care less if the audio system was decent lol