Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #15
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 aka "BlackWidow"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
I hope I don't come across in the wrong way on this, because I say this with the best of intents, but the stiffer mounts won't actually cause any vibration...they will only slightly increase the vibrations transmitted that are already present. The trade-off between increased performance and transmitted vibration is always present when upgrading your drivetrain mounts, but we have done our best study the vibrations and minimize this trade-off. That being said, if there is a slight imbalance in the clutch/flywheel assembly already present, the factory mounts may help hide/dampen the vibration.

The only issue is....the factory mount isn't fixing the problem, it's just masking it. I think you are right on track though, lets see where that vibration is coming from and then take it from there. Ultimately, there will be a trade-off, but it shouldn't be an unbearable one. Let me know how I can help and I'll do my best!
You are coming across just fine. I never meant to imply the pfadt mounts were causing the vibration...i was just wondering if it was always there and i didn't notice on the stock mounts. I resolved 1 vibration issue i had which was my alternator shaft...I must have been too rough when installing the 10-rib pulley.

Unfortunatley i still think my new clutch may have a vibration at certain RPM...now i may go back to the pfadt mounts to continue troubleshooting .

PfadtRacing, one thing I can't seem to find is the actual benefit of the stiffer mounts. I know they cut down on engine movement, but what does that translate too? i.e. I'm not expecting it to have any impact on my dyno number or top end power, but will it help my 60'? I currently have all the other rear bushing upgrades...so what will changing the mounts do for me?

Frankly, this is my 700+ hp daily driver, and i prefer the dampening of the stock mounts...but i'm always looking for "value". If I can expect to save a 1/10th on my 60'...or if this will help preserve my stock transmission...then it is worth it to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderSS View Post
They also lower the block a bout 1.5" which is cool for top intake or blower clearance but maybe an issue if your are lowered and running long tubes.
I think this just ruled out Prothane for me...i'm am lowered and long tubes and they already scrape more than i like...
Old 04-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #16
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Great question. Once you get into a high horsepower application, there is always the benefit of increased durability of the mount. As far as performance, the biggest reason I've ran them in the past was for a more direct throttle response. In general though, it is just a more efficient way to transfer the power to the wheels.

I think you are on the right track though. Some vibration transfer is normal, but anything more probably indicates a problem somewhere else in the system. Feel free to get at me with any questions or trouble shooting ideas you might have when you're plugging away at this, I've had to troubleshoot vibration issues on my vettes a number of times and can definitely try to help where I can.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #17
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Great question. Once you get into a high horsepower application, there is always the benefit of increased durability of the mount. As far as performance, the biggest reason I've ran them in the past was for a more direct throttle response. In general though, it is just a more efficient way to transfer the power to the wheels.

I think you are on the right track though. Some vibration transfer is normal, but anything more probably indicates a problem somewhere else in the system. Feel free to get at me with any questions or trouble shooting ideas you might have when you're plugging away at this, I've had to troubleshoot vibration issues on my vettes a number of times and can definitely try to help where I can.
Thanks. I think i've concluded my last vibration was in my drive train. My OEM drive shaft got pulled apart when i was reinstalling and i did not realign it correclty (made a bad assumption each peice was balanced). By the time i concluded that was the problem and realigned it, i think the middle bushing was shot. I ended up breaking an axel at the track...luckily i already had my ZL1 rear conversion kit sitting in my garage. Not that it's installed and back on the road, it appears my vibrations have gone away...final test will be as soon as i get a chance to head out the track again. I could see the vibration in my data logging on the launch. looked like wheel hop, however the video on my rear wheel showed no hop.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #18
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I went to pfadt mounts because with the tranny swap and 2" headers I couldnt afford the side to side movement I'd get with stock mounts due to the tight clearances involved.
429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #19
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
I have some new Prothane never used I will sell if anybody is interested. Replaced with Pfadt.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #20
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMJ View Post
Thanks. I think i've concluded my last vibration was in my drive train. My OEM drive shaft got pulled apart when i was reinstalling and i did not realign it correclty (made a bad assumption each peice was balanced). By the time i concluded that was the problem and realigned it, i think the middle bushing was shot. I ended up breaking an axel at the track...luckily i already had my ZL1 rear conversion kit sitting in my garage. Not that it's installed and back on the road, it appears my vibrations have gone away...final test will be as soon as i get a chance to head out the track again. I could see the vibration in my data logging on the launch. looked like wheel hop, however the video on my rear wheel showed no hop.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #21
PfadtRacing

Any updates?
Old 05-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #22
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Old 05-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #23
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

I plan to finally make it back to the track tomorrow night. I think i'm having some clutch chatter issues with my new RXT. I went by a local speed shop today and they concluded it was my 700 rwhp that broke my axel and not the clutch chatter.

Tomorrow will be my first time at the track w/800 rwhp...i've only tuned on the dyno, so likely will be fine tuning all night... should have an update in a few days.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #24
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Rained out .