Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 05-08-2014, 09:26 PM   #15
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
So after watching the video, I actually took the cables out of the packaging and thought through the process, and was able to observe that the cable connectors are now color-correct for where they go. Maroon, grey, pink, blue, etc. - so don't mind the colors in the video or picture in the instruction for the connectors, just match up the colors and it will be good.
Yes they are now color-correct for where they go, had 200 sets on order but did not come in on time for the peters install, so went with samples sets we had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKCAMARO2SS View Post
Im not so lucky I have a August 2011 45th build.
dont get this, whats up.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:18 PM   #16
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
So, quick question. In the step d) where you mention hooking up a new lock/ unlock switch, since I have a 2012 with switches on the door this wouldn't apply to me, correct?
Old 05-08-2014, 10:34 PM   #17
Toasty
Custom User Title :D

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke736 View Post
So, quick question. In the step d) where you mention hooking up a new lock/ unlock switch, since I have a 2012 with switches on the door this wouldn't apply to me, correct?
Correct, you're safe.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:04 PM   #18
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

One other question (for now)- I have watch all of the videos and read the directions several times and it seems like a straightforward install. The one part I received and didn't see in the instructions is pictured below. What is this for? Where is it in the directions? I saw a matching female RCA plug in the wiring harness supplied, but I don't see any mention of this piece:

Any help?
Old 05-08-2014, 11:07 PM   #19
Toasty

That's got to be the roof connector that you'd need to split the video from the rearview mirror to the mylink. It's in the passenger side kick panel. Disconnect the harness, and the one supplied goes inline with it
Old 05-08-2014, 11:15 PM   #20
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Quote:
That's got to be the roof connector that you'd need to split the video from the rearview mirror to the mylink. It's in the passenger side kick panel. Disconnect the harness, and the one supplied goes inline with it
Ok thanks! Maybe that piece is missing from the instructions since it's an optional piece? I assume when I remove the passenger side kick panel to remove the glove box I will see it down there?

Also, if this goes in the passenger kick panel, is the RCA plug long enough to reach the male connector in the harness to the MyLink?
Old 05-08-2014, 11:30 PM   #21
BLACKCAMARO2SS

Drives: 50TH ANNIVERSARY 2SS CONVERTIBLE
dont get this, whats up.[/QUOTE]

Later 2012 builds may have 2013 console covers. No need for dremel.
BLACKCAMARO2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:31 PM   #22
USCAMARO14

Drives: 2LS 2014
Thumbs up

I have the four gauge cluster I bought from gen5 with connector that goes in the same plug. Will my gauges still work after I plug this in? Will I have to plug this one to the one I have already? Making the connection of wires even longer.

Last edited by USCAMARO14; 05-09-2014 at 06:36 AM.
USCAMARO14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:23 AM   #23
Toasty

Quote:
Ok thanks! Maybe that piece is missing from the instructions since it's an optional piece? I assume when I remove the passenger side kick panel to remove the glove box I will see it down there?

Also, if this goes in the passenger kick panel, is the RCA plug long enough to reach the male connector in the harness to the MyLink?

On the written instructions, Step 6, it's listed as one of the parts required for that step, but you're right, the instructions don't cover it.

Yeah, you'll see the connector there behind the kick panel. there's only one connector that size.

I'd expect that the cable on the MyLink harness at the radio is long enough to reach this one, but I haven't measured.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:39 AM   #24
45th SS

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post

dont get this, whats up.

On my car I didn't have to dremel anything and we were comparing manufacturing dates for our 45th's. Mine was built on 3/12, his on 8/11.
45th Anniversary. Borla LT(catless), Borla S type, CAI intake and Rhino79 installed whipple 2.9L, alky meth kit, 102mm throttle body , GPI tune, VVT custom competition cam, 416ci stroker, forged internals.
45th SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:17 AM   #25
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
If I'm thinking of getting a 4 gauge cluster could I just grab one from 2013-2014 to avoid the modification process?

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:11 AM   #26
45th SS

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagliaro View Post
If I'm thinking of getting a 4 gauge cluster could I just grab one from 2013-2014 to avoid the modification process?
You would still have to dremel the piece behind the radio. Getting a new cluster for the minimal amount you take off the current cluster wouldn't be worth it IMO.
45th Anniversary. Borla LT(catless), Borla S type, CAI intake and Rhino79 installed whipple 2.9L, alky meth kit, 102mm throttle body , GPI tune, VVT custom competition cam, 416ci stroker, forged internals.
45th SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:44 PM   #27
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
no not to 2012 and up cars, only older ones that dont have the switch in the doors

Quote:
One other question (for now)- I have watch all of the videos and read the directions several times and it seems like a straightforward install. The one part I received and didn't see in the instructions is pictured below. What is this for? Where is it in the directions? I saw a matching female RCA plug in the wiring harness supplied, but I don't see any mention of this piece:

Any help?
Quote:
Ho much do we pay you for the help? he is right its the same as we use in the 2013 4pack gauges harness, and here its only for the 2012 cars.

Quote:

yes the RCA will be long enough to make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKCAMARO2SS View Post
dont get this, whats up.
Later 2012 builds may have 2013 console covers. No need for dremel.[/QUOTE]

some will and some want, in 2012 autos will work with out moding the trim, i had to do it on my car to fi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCAMARO14 View Post
I have the four gauge cluster I bought from gen5 with connector that goes in the same plug. Will my gauges still work after I plug this in? Will I have to plug this one to the one I have already? Making the connection of wires even longer.
you dont add that only 2012 that want the pic in the mylink need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45th SS View Post
You would still have to dremel the piece behind the radio. Getting a new cluster for the minimal amount you take off the current cluster wouldn't be worth it IMO.
you got it.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #28
Toasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post

Ho much do we pay you for the help? he is right its the same as we use in the 2013 4pack gauges harness, and here its only for the 2012 cars.

Hah, not enough? Just kidding! always available to help the community!