Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-13-2016, 10:33 PM   #239
Docker

Drives: 2015 vicious animal with 217 cu i
I did notice this really quickly, I wondered why when I shifted up that I couldn't feel it go into that gear right away or say "shift denied"...but...I can still downshift into a stop, and rev the engine to redline in a lower gear...all its not allowing me to do is stay in too high a gear for the speed...somthing that does nothing but lug the engine in a standard tranny.

For a second I was thinking of tuning it so I had more control, aka "real" tapshift....but there really is no benefit, not even .1 subtracted from the 0-60, it would just satisfy an urge to 'feel' as if I have a bit more control...but if that was my concern I may as well have gotten 3 pedals.

Now if there was a tune to put the car in neutral with the paddles...I'd be all over that!!

Last edited by Docker; 03-13-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Docker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:09 AM   #240
twodoggz
Life In The Fast Lane

Drives: 2011 LS
Thanks for the post Medic. Unfortunately I read it too late. I traded in my 2011 2LS for a 2015 2LS with 1LE trim. I noticed right away it was slower off the line and through the gears but wasn't sure til your post. Thanks for that. I sent you message with more questions about changing the diff gears or what. Thanks again.
twodoggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:54 PM   #241
Sandman799

Drives: Baby is a 2014 Black Camaro LS2/2LS
I know this is an old post but maybe someone could update this info??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
My understanding of how it works in the 2LS is that the transmission shifts automatically, both up and down, but only up to the maximum gear you choose with the paddles. The only way you could force it to shift with the paddles would be if you selected a lower gear than you were currently in.

Of course, even in manual mode on other trim levels the transmission downshifts for you as you come to a stop. It does not hold a specific gear higher than first when stopped, and you don't HAVE to manually downshift as you slow.

What your dad is likely seeing is that he has selected 3rd as his max gear, giving the 2LS the "range" of 1st to 3rd to use. The DIC displays the max gear the driver selects when in ERS Mode, not the gear the car is currently in.

Sooooooo Oooook then I'm officially lost or confused or possibly both??? I have a 2014 2LS with the tapshift, I recently bought it lightly used, so I am still learning some things about my car, but one thing I've definitely noticed is that when I put the shifter into M mode it definitely acts like a manual transmission and WILL NOT upshift when the rpm's get high, it'll stay in whatever gear the DIC shows its in until you manually shift up or down and it doesn't matter how fast your driving when you shift into M mode it defaults to M1, lets say I'm doing 25 MPH and decide to go into manual tapshift mode and drop the gear selector to M, it automatically defaults to M1 first gear and will really jump the RPM's up unless I tap the + shift paddle, I could be wrong about it but I haven't tried to put it in M mode going faster then 20 to 25 MPH out of fear it'll redline the engine and that ain't good.....

Same thing goes if I just go out and hop into the car and start her up and then put her straigh into M mode it automatically starts out in 1st gear or M1 and will stay in M1 until I physically tap the + lever to upshift to M2, M3, M4 and so on, so far as to how many M gears there are I don't know because I haven't really had it out on the highway yet running it up to 70+ MPH except the day I bought her and drove it home from the dealership, but I really didn't know what the tap shift did, I just knew it had a feature called tapshift but hadn't read up on it at that time....

Anyway is this a 2014 feature where it truly acts like a manual transmission? I use the term ACTS like a manual transmission lightly, but actually it does kind of act like a manual transmission because with a manual transmission you can easily put it into a gear that's too low like say your doing 60 miler per and accidentally go into 3rd instead of 5th gear it's going to really ramp up the RPM and slow you down quick and my 2LS does the same thing if I accidentally tap the downshift paddle while going too fast it will really make the RPM's jump and the car will do the high rev front end dip down thing, anyway please correct me if I'm wrong about my car but these are simply my observations Ive made over the last two months of ownership so I am still fairly new To my new Camaro and could be misunderstanding what's happening with the tapshift in my car? Either way I do LOVE my 2LS and even though it's not the highly tuned V8 and performance tuned suspension and everything else my old 1985 Camaro IROCZ-28 was I love this car every bit as much as I did my IROCZ and I am very happy with her and she's everything you've come to expect from a Camaro, I might make a few changes like I did with my old IROC to make her unique to me and give her a look of her own and maybe do some customizations and upgrades so she stands apart from the crowd...
Sandman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:24 PM   #242
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman799 View Post
Sooooooo Oooook then I'm officially lost or confused or possibly both??? I have a 2014 2LS with the tapshift, I recently bought it lightly used, so I am still learning some things about my car, but one thing I've definitely noticed is that when I put the shifter into M mode it definitely acts like a manual transmission and WILL NOT upshift when the rpm's get high, it'll stay in whatever gear the DIC shows its in until you manually shift up or down and it doesn't matter how fast your driving when you shift into M mode it defaults to M1, lets say I'm doing 25 MPH and decide to go into manual tapshift mode and drop the gear selector to M, it automatically defaults to M1 first gear and will really jump the RPM's up unless I tap the + shift paddle, I could be wrong about it but I haven't tried to put it in M mode going faster then 20 to 25 MPH out of fear it'll redline the engine and that ain't good.....

Same thing goes if I just go out and hop into the car and start her up and then put her straigh into M mode it automatically starts out in 1st gear or M1 and will stay in M1 until I physically tap the + lever to upshift to M2, M3, M4 and so on, so far as to how many M gears there are I don't know because I haven't really had it out on the highway yet running it up to 70+ MPH except the day I bought her and drove it home from the dealership, but I really didn't know what the tap shift did, I just knew it had a feature called tapshift but hadn't read up on it at that time....

Anyway is this a 2014 feature where it truly acts like a manual transmission? I use the term ACTS like a manual transmission lightly, but actually it does kind of act like a manual transmission because with a manual transmission you can easily put it into a gear that's too low like say your doing 60 miler per and accidentally go into 3rd instead of 5th gear it's going to really ramp up the RPM and slow you down quick and my 2LS does the same thing if I accidentally tap the downshift paddle while going too fast it will really make the RPM's jump and the car will do the high rev front end dip down thing, anyway please correct me if I'm wrong about my car but these are simply my observations Ive made over the last two months of ownership so I am still fairly new To my new Camaro and could be misunderstanding what's happening with the tapshift in my car? Either way I do LOVE my 2LS and even though it's not the highly tuned V8 and performance tuned suspension and everything else my old 1985 Camaro IROCZ-28 was I love this car every bit as much as I did my IROCZ and I am very happy with her and she's everything you've come to expect from a Camaro, I might make a few changes like I did with my old IROC to make her unique to me and give her a look of her own and maybe do some customizations and upgrades so she stands apart from the crowd...
That post is confusing to me also. I have a 2013 1LT RS auto with the paddle shifting transmission. Mine acts like you are saying yours does, it will stay in gear until you manually shift it with the paddle shifter. It will stay in gear till redline and will 'bump' the rev limiter. If your revs are to high to down shift safely, it won't let you , you will get a 'shift denied' in the info center. Maybe that post describes a earlier form of the 2LS feature, I know they upgraded some LT features from 13 to 14. Like oil temp in the in fo center and some other things also, like 0-60 timer. Enjoy your car, maybe check out the owners manual, most of all, have fun!
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:19 PM   #243
camrytt

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
There was some trick you have to do to get M to act like a normal automatic with better shifting. I think holding down the right paddle or something. Then it just works like D but more fun

Edit yea just hold down the right paddle while in M for about 5 seconds

Current: 2017 ZL1 A10
previous: 2019 1SS A10
previous: '14 L99, CAI intake, vmax ported tb, e85 kit, stage 2 cnc heads, speed engineering long tubes, custom high flows, resonated x pipe, muffler delete, qtp cut outs, gpi ss3 vvt Cam, zl1 pump and injectors, fti triple disc, mayhem motorsports trans cooler and tune, ngk spark plugs +red msd wires, 3.91 gears.
Past: '12 LFX, full bolt ons + E85, 302hp/267tq

Last edited by camrytt; 08-02-2016 at 07:40 AM.
camrytt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:51 AM   #244
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman799 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
That post is confusing to me also. I have a 2013 1LT RS auto with the paddle shifting transmission. Mine acts like you are saying yours does, it will stay in gear until you manually shift it with the paddle shifter. It will stay in gear till redline and will 'bump' the rev limiter.
It can be confusing.

Kenny, your 1LT should have true TapShift.

Sandman, I don't know if they changed things for 2014, but I didn't think so.

The easiest way to differentiate between true TapShift and ERS is to use the tests I described above in post #233:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
As has been discussed several times in this thread, the 2LS "ERS Mode" can mimic TapShift, depending on how and when you use the paddles. But, it is not the same.

Examples:
While stopped, move the shifter to M. The DIC should show "M1." Tap the paddle to upshift several times.
  • A 2LS will show M2-M3-M4-M5-M6 as you tap the + paddle (while still stopped).
  • An LT (with TapShift) will show M2, then "Shift Denied" with further taps.
While driving at highway speed (where it is safe to do this experiment), have the shifter in M. Hit the upshift (+) paddle until the DIC says "M6." Now slow to a stop without touching any paddles. Then accelerate again back to 55+ MPH, again without touching any paddles.
  • A 2LS will still show M6 in the DIC as you slow down and stop, even though it is downshifting automatically. As you accelerate back to highway speed, it will upshift automatically, all the while still showing M6 in the DIC.
  • An LT (with TapShift) will show M6-M5-M4-M3-M2-M1 as you slow to a stop. As you accelerate, it will stay in M1 and redline out unless you intervene by upshifting.
The DIC in the car with TapShift will always show the actual gear you're in, won't allow you to go above 2nd gear while stopped, and won't upshift automatically EVER when in TapShift mode. The DIC in the 2LS is showing you the top gear you are allowing the car to automatically shift to--NOT always the gear you're currently in, although it CAN be the gear you're currently in, which is where it gets confusing and can make you think you have TapShift.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:01 PM   #245
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
bought my 2015 RS without knowing too much about camaros,but i did drive about 15 of them before choosing this one.must have driven the salesman crazy but he made his commission.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:18 PM   #246
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
bought my 2015 RS without knowing too much about camaros,but i did drive about 15 of them before choosing this one.must have driven the salesman crazy but he made his commission.
Get what you want, that's what i always say!
Old 11-01-2016, 07:20 PM   #247
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrytt View Post
There was some trick you have to do to get M to act like a normal automatic with better shifting. I think holding down the right paddle or something. Then it just works like D but more fun

I'm gonna check that out Camrytt. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2017, 04:58 PM   #248
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Interesting! I'm going to check this out too!
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:28 PM   #249
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by camrytt View Post

Quote:
What Camrytt is describing is simply putting the transmission back in Sport Mode (if you are in manual mode). The same thing can be accomplished by shifting from D to M, without touching the paddles.

If you touch the paddles in Sport Mode, you enter Manual Mode. Holding the upshift (right) paddle for several seconds brings you back to Sport Mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarolover85 View Post
Interesting! I'm going to check this out too!
Camarolover, your 2LS won't be able to do this, unfortunately.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:28 PM   #250
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
Bummer! now I want to have it "tuned" out of the worthless mode!
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #251
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
Tested last night. sure enough, it's an engine brake only!
But it does help in cornering to get the 3rd to 2nd shift for exit. so there's that... Just have to shift back to drive or tap up to M6!
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:30 AM   #252
Camaro1037

Drives: 2015 Camaro Ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvKillar View Post
Tested last night. sure enough, it's an engine brake only!
Lol !! If you think about a little bit . Chevy gave our V6
A- brake , Jacob brake, whatever you want to call it . Depending on what side of the county you are from.

Think I will also go test this out on my car today also.

http://www.carsponsors.com/applicati...ut/Camaro1037/
Camaro1037 is offline   Reply With Quote