Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #57
batman53201
Account not blocked

Drives: The Batmobile
frame might be damaged

oops, you beat me to it
batman53201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #58
TJPittbull

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
Airbags are only around 600 each, brand new, from the dealer. Where folks get these "airbags cost 2500 each" crap is beyond me. Headliner is around 350 new. Used curtain bags go for less than 200 each. Clock spring 40, 150 to reset the module and rebuild the belt tensioners, 250 for a used driver bag, looking at around 1300 or less to finish the interior with used parts. Core support is less than 300 new (GM), you will need to straighten or replace the left upper rails (I don't care what the ad says). Suspension may be tweaked, I would estimate around another 3000 in parts and paint to fix the body. So close to 4,500 if you did the work yourself and got a good deal on paint. Its an easy fix, and would make a nice car when finished, but you could buy a repaired prior salvage car for less than what you'd have into it. What I'm getting at is the car is overpriced by 5-6,000. Salvage SS's go for around 20,000 fixed.
The airbag itself may be $600, but you also have to pay for the housing, air canister, etc. That adds up quickly. Plus you have to have them serviced by a licensed dealer/body shop, making it that more expensive.

Nothing more to say.
TJPittbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #59
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcer View Post
How was that totaled? these are aprox costs but i see, RS headlight, fender, bumper, hood, inner rail, some small interior engine work, repair the door, new or recondition the wheel, it doesnt even look that bad..
you forget to mention the airbags
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #60
United_727
Parts Guru Extraordinair.

Drives: '02 SS 'Vert M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Carats View Post
I estimate about $5k to fix. I dont know if you'll be able to find anybody to grant you a warranty with a salvage title tho.

Mind controlled by Cerebro
$5k minimum. The RS headlamp is almost $1000 on its own. Plus a fender,grille and fascia. Plus the side curtain bags are blown x2 plus a new headliner
,drivers airbag and SDM . Plus a rocker molding. If you could do the work yourself and there is no frame damage....
Old 05-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #61
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
That car shouldn't even be salvage title, I'm seeing this a lot lately I think insurance companies are looking into what people are paying for them at salvage auctions and weighing that against the cost to fix, cars are really disposable to them these days. It's also A win win for them because the car is tagged junk for life, you probably can't ever buy collision coverage for it again.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:37 AM   #62
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpw72 View Post
Here are the original pictures from the accident that the scammers on ebay hide from you http://www.ridesafely.com/Inventory....SC&langCode=de
That pic of the engine bay says it all. Car would need a whole new engine cradle and probably most of the front suspension.

A few years ago I totalled a new 2005 Duramax dually, only had it 5 months. Estimate was at $17,000 before they found the frame damage. With the frame damage, the insurance totalled it at that point. They won't usually pay to repair frame damage which requires branding the title in Oregon. With GAP insurance my loan was paid and the truck was gone for salvage. That's where the wrecking yards step in and try to sell it without disclosing all the damage in hopes someone will think they are getting a good deal they can rebuild. Usually it is best to just part it out but it takes them years to get there investment back versus selliing it whole for a quick profit. Unless you want it for a track car or have the means to do all the work and get a helluva deal on parts, this would be a bad deal.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:41 AM   #63
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
I think Ofer was close with an estimate of around $20K. It would take a lot to restore it to like new condition, or even to make it worthy of daily driver status again. Chip Foose would run from this.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #64
United_727
Parts Guru Extraordinair.

Drives: '02 SS 'Vert M6
You're looking at around $3k just for 3 airbags,and SDM and headliner. Just in parts alone.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #65
Bumble.Bee
Account Suspended

Drives: Prius
Ok I am not even looking at it anymore haha.
Bumble.Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #66
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
Airbags are only around 600 each, brand new, from the dealer. Where folks get these "airbags cost 2500 each" crap is beyond me. Headliner is around 350 new. Used curtain bags go for less than 200 each. Clock spring 40, 150 to reset the module and rebuild the belt tensioners, 250 for a used driver bag, looking at around 1300 or less to finish the interior with used parts. Core support is less than 300 new (GM), you will need to straighten or replace the left upper rails (I don't care what the ad says). Suspension may be tweaked, I would estimate around another 3000 in parts and paint to fix the body. So close to 4,500 if you did the work yourself and got a good deal on paint. Its an easy fix, and would make a nice car when finished, but you could buy a repaired prior salvage car for less than what you'd have into it. What I'm getting at is the car is overpriced by 5-6,000. Salvage SS's go for around 20,000 fixed.
Out of 3 pages of responses, this is the only good one. I've bought and fixed dozens of salvage cars over the years and have gotten more trouble free miles out of them than most of the new ones I've bought. That car is not hurt and someone will fix it and get a lot of miles out of it. The only thing wrong with it is that it's on e-bay and like most things on e-bay, it's overpriced. All these people telling you to just go buy a used one w/70k don't have a clue. The percentage of salvage cars with mechanical problems is much lower than used cars. Most people don't wreck their cars, when they have trouble, they trade them off. I'd much rather have that car. I'd just want to have no more than 25k in it fixed. Once it's fixed and you drive it, you never think about that salvage title again. And if you do, just think about the 15k you saved and smile. People will try to tell you that it will never be worth what a clean title car is worth, which is true, but if you don't have as much in it, it's not a problem. You won't lose nearly as much on a salvage as you will on a new one. Several people have said that you cant get insurance on a salvage title car. This is not true. I have a salvage title car in my garage as we speak and I have full coverage on it. A salvage title does not necessarily void your warranty either. I've had warranty work done on salvage title cars before and I've never had a dealership ask to see my title before doing warranty work. I was offered a add-on warranty when I bought my car and I declined it, because I didn't think I needed it and I was right. My car has been flawless. There's a local salvage dealer near me who sells both salvage title and clean title wrecks. Often times, the clean title cars have more damage than the salvage title cars. Most of the clean title wrecks are bought by dealers who have them fixed and sell them on their lots. Think about that the next time someone recommends you buy used over salvage.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #67
TJPittbull

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
Out of 3 pages of responses, this is the only good one. I've bought and fixed dozens of salvage cars over the years and have gotten more trouble free miles out of them than most of the new ones I've bought. That car is not hurt and someone will fix it and get a lot of miles out of it. The only thing wrong with it is that it's on e-bay and like most things on e-bay, it's overpriced. All these people telling you to just go buy a used one w/70k don't have a clue. The percentage of salvage cars with mechanical problems is much lower than used cars. Most people don't wreck their cars, when they have trouble, they trade them off. I'd much rather have that car. I'd just want to have no more than 25k in it fixed. Once it's fixed and you drive it, you never think about that salvage title again. And if you do, just think about the 15k you saved and smile. People will try to tell you that it will never be worth what a clean title car is worth, which is true, but if you don't have as much in it, it's not a problem. You won't lose nearly as much on a salvage as you will on a new one. Several people have said that you cant get insurance on a salvage title car. This is not true. I have a salvage title car in my garage as we speak and I have full coverage on it. A salvage title does not necessarily void your warranty either. I've had warranty work done on salvage title cars before and I've never had a dealership ask to see my title before doing warranty work. I was offered a add-on warranty when I bought my car and I declined it, because I didn't think I needed it and I was right. My car has been flawless. There's a local salvage dealer near me who sells both salvage title and clean title wrecks. Often times, the clean title cars have more damage than the salvage title cars. Most of the clean title wrecks are bought by dealers who have them fixed and sell them on their lots. Think about that the next time someone recommends you buy used over salvage.
You just said that you would put 25K into a car on eBay that is selling for 19K... That's $44K into a car with a salvage title.. I don't know the legal restrictions involved in a salvage title, but if you wanted to sell it, it would not sell for half it's worth.. A used SS would be less than $44K, and you wouldn't have to do labor...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Nothing more to say.
TJPittbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #68
Bumble.Bee
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPittbull View Post
You just said that you would put 25K into a car on eBay that is selling for 19K... That's $44K into a car with a salvage title.. I don't know the legal restrictions involved in a salvage title, but if you wanted to sell it, it would not sell for half it's worth.. A used SS would be less than $44K, and you wouldn't have to do labor...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Did you comprehend what he said? He said he would pay 25K MAX TOTALLY FIXED.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #69
Bumble.Bee
Account Suspended

Quote:
Even if the car was cheaper I still would prob have to pay a lot to get it fixed because I really can't do any of it myself.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #70
Bpw72

Drives: 2011 camaro ss convertible 2ss/rs
Quote:
Put $25,000 into it and it might be worth $20k if it's a mint job on the repair, selling as a rebuilt title. There is way more wrong with it than the guys from NJ or NY let on. I know exactly what they do because I experienced it first hand with a 2010 F150 Platinum. They make it look pretty and only needs a few things here and there so you think but it needs much more. Warranty will be voided most of the time. You may get lucky and still have warranty if the auto manufacturer has not found out that it has been salvaged off. Salvage or rebuilt title...run away!! Don't care how good the repair is. Unless you're building a race car or track car.
I took a bath selling my truck as a rebuilt title.
Bpw72 is offline   Reply With Quote