Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-27-2014, 07:01 AM   #197
BlackoutLFX

Drives: 2012, Black 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
We appreciate your go at this...keep trying.

But I just don't get it....these cams are being installed in LFXs in Australia....should there really be any difference??

Not to be an ass either, but is installing cams well within your mechanical know how? I mean...you seem to be pretty good with this stuff so I will make the assumption that you can get these installed properly. But it would be sad to see these cams fail due to some mechanical problem, thus making the product look bad, and once again making everyone afraid to try them out. Again, don't take that the wrong way...its just something worth asking in my opinion.

I'm really pulling for you and hope you can get these things rocking. Take your time. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.
I took it to a good shop when the motor would not hand turn after I installed the cams, 3 times. I thought I was doing something wrong and re-installed one side 3 times, I wound up breaking bolts. Anyway...
Nytrex 100 hp nitrous triple threat system, NytrexAccu-pressure bottle heater, HP tuners, K&N Typhoon CAI, MACE 6mm MI, Solo Performance high flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder cat back exhaust system, BMR subframe connectors, BMR tunnel brace, BMR lowering springs, BMR Xtreme Anti-roll bar rear, Hotchkins Strut brace, SS/LS3 3.45 LSD, Axles, and hubs, Elite Engineering catch can, B&M Supercooler transmission cooler, FTI 3200 Stall.
BlackoutLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:11 AM   #198
BlackoutLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by vong View Post
That's bad luck mate. Surprised they didn't just drop in. My set had to have the ends lathed. It's been almost 6 months and it's still running fine.
Had to be lathed 20k maybe? So, this is a problem that was known about, at least 6 months ago. I am not sure exactly when mine were sent. It is my understanding that these cams are case hardened and, ideally, need to be turned on a cam grinder. It can be done on a lathe but it is a pia I hear. I don't know about the aftermarket parts market in Aus, but In the US we expect drop in parts with "no" modification necessary, especially on a mechanical part such as a cam.
Nytrex 100 hp nitrous triple threat system, NytrexAccu-pressure bottle heater, HP tuners, K&N Typhoon CAI, MACE 6mm MI, Solo Performance high flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder cat back exhaust system, BMR subframe connectors, BMR tunnel brace, BMR lowering springs, BMR Xtreme Anti-roll bar rear, Hotchkins Strut brace, SS/LS3 3.45 LSD, Axles, and hubs, Elite Engineering catch can, B&M Supercooler transmission cooler, FTI 3200 Stall.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:38 AM   #199
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
You mean .020", right? Not 20k?

Any word on further install?
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #200
BlackoutLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
You mean .020", right? Not 20k?

Any word on further install?
yes 20 thousandths of an inch. I did not know that this was already a known issue and discussed on the LLT thread, but I thought they would have the issue resolved by now. The guy that is putting it back together will NOT recommend a machine shop to do this procedure. I got the impression he did not want to get involved. So, I will not have him work on the car again. He screwed me anyway, and I found out today that he called in another technician because he did not want to deal with the mess I made. So, it is back to square one.

at this point I am not sure what I plan to do. It is at a really good shop, but I don't want to use him again because of him getting someone else to work on my and charging me extra for it and his refusal to help me get the cams sized. I am entering a busy time of year for me and I really don't have time to worry with this, not to mention I would like to drive my car...SO........................

Last edited by BlackoutLFX; 03-27-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:20 PM   #201
vong

Drives: Hazard Yellow Holden VE SV6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutLFX View Post
Had to be lathed 20k maybe? So, this is a problem that was known about, at least 6 months ago. I am not sure exactly when mine were sent. It is my understanding that these cams are case hardened and, ideally, need to be turned on a cam grinder. It can be done on a lathe but it is a pia I hear. I don't know about the aftermarket parts market in Aus, but In the US we expect drop in parts with "no" modification necessary, especially on a mechanical part such as a cam.
I can't quite remember but I'm sure I posted about it in the first few pages of this thread. I expected it to be a drop in as well but it was a prototype.
vong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:20 PM   #202
MACE_ENG

Drives: LLT Machine
Sadly it been quite trying to say the least with this family of products. Mainly with the variance in thrust face sizing between engines and our reliance on others.

We're still prepared sort out this issue rectify any wrong doing as we have consistently done with these cams and any other problems that we've faced with our products in general. In this particular instance, the problem is easy to resolve (I'm not certainly justifying it as being acceptable!), but I completely respect any decision. We're still committed with this family of products.

If it was easy, there would be more vendors out there with this family of products, but they're not.

Kindest Regards,
Steve
MACE_ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:46 AM   #203
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I want to see these parts work as much as the next guy, and I'm glad to see that a) you're finally a forum sponsor again, and b) you seem to be standing behind this product, and are trying to make it right...

Vong, has stated he had this same problem some back around 7/13? I imagine you probably had a batch of these made at the same time to try to keep the pricing affordable. Why would this issue not have been addressed when the problem was first noticed? BlackoutLFX received his cams early 12/2013...

Do you think there is a difference between the AUS LFX, and the US? Doubtful, but I suppose anything is possible.

But IMO a part this critical to a working engine should be tested rigorously before going on sale. I understand it costs money to make these, but charging $1300, and shipping a prototype half way across the world, only to have results like this doesn't look too good.

You're right though... If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. Hope you get these sorted out
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:48 AM   #204
MACE_ENG

Drives: LLT Machine
Good questions RacnJsn95,

"I want to see these parts work as much as the next guy, and I'm glad to see that a) you're finally a forum sponsor again, and b) you seem to be standing behind this product, and are trying to make it right..."
The main reason we've sponsored the site is to be able to post up here. We were stopped from being able to post on this site for a quite a while now. We were quite active here for quite a while now sharing new developments with other enthusiasts running but could not stomach the politics any more. Thank God things have improved since

"Vong, has stated he had this same problem some back around 7/13? I imagine you probably had a batch of these made at the same time to try to keep the pricing affordable. Why would this issue not have been addressed when the problem was first noticed? BlackoutLFX received his cams early 12/2013..."

In Vong's case he was made very clear that we had never done one before 100%. This is reflected by the fact his is the first and only LFX in the world with these cams. The issue was raised, but cleared not acted on.

"Do you think there is a difference between the AUS LFX, and the US? Doubtful, but I suppose anything is possible."
I doubt it. In saying this though, there are variants between LLT cams. Late model US spec LLT cams are basically the ones that BlackoutLFX has. Earlier LLT cams (US and AUS) run a smaller thrust face diameter.

"But IMO a part this critical to a working engine should be tested rigorously before going on sale. I understand it costs money to make these, but charging $1300, and shipping a prototype half way across the world, only to have results like this doesn't look too good."
These have been, in service such in Vong's car but also in other HFV6 engines for many years now and have been running flawlessly, from a hardware perspective for both road and race applications. These are definitely not prototypes anymore. Prototypes took place circa 2011 direct injection variants when we embarked on this project using regrinds.

"You're right though... If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. Hope you get these sorted out"
Thank you RacnJsn95. Fortunately the problem is very easy to address, relative to the complexity of these cams. It is a very dumb mistake, but fortunately simple to address.

Hope this helps.

Kindest Regards,
Steve
MACE_ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #205
BlackoutLFX

Old 03-29-2014, 04:50 AM   #206
BlackoutLFX

here is a pic.
Attached Images

Last edited by BlackoutLFX; 03-30-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #207
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
I saw in Mace's signature BMORE/USA, if that is referring to Baltimore, Maryland I am willing to try and help if they need measurements from my car.
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:19 AM   #208
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by etmx183 View Post
I saw in Mace's signature BMORE/USA, if that is referring to Baltimore, Maryland I am willing to try and help if they need measurements from my car.
I am pretty certain that BMORE named "bmorecam" refers to a past member here whom helped to represent MACE here in the US. He used to do their ported manifolds. I'm not sure if he does work for them any longer.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #209
Sparkyz13Bee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT
My warranty is soon to expire. Will these cams work with forced induction? Twin turbo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sparkyz13Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #210
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutLFX View Post
here is a pic.
Updates?
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote