Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-02-2010, 01:04 AM   #1
alterbrett

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Noise Coming From Shifter, Is Dealer Pulling My Chain?

I have a 2010 2SS Manual 6-speed. Currently I have a creek/noise coming from the shifter area of my car. It only has 6,000 miles on it and the noise is really annoying. I can really hear the noise when I am shifting into a new gear and start to accelerate or if I am accelerating from a stop. Or if I am driving at low RPM's. I had my dealer check it out and the tech said it was normal on manual cars. He explained to me that because the Camaro didn't have an insulated transmission that it was normal for sound to resonate up through the drivetrain and emit from the shifter area. I have tried taking out the center console/4 pack gauges and the noise is still there. It is definitely not the console rubbing up against something. I am looking for some advise here. Is my dealers explanation correct or where they blowing me off? Has any one else experienced this or something similar? If so what did you do? And finally, if I absolutely have to, can the Camaro's transmission be "insulated" to get rid of this noise? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
CREED & CAMARO
alterbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:10 AM   #2
alterbrett

Also, could it be possible to pop the console open and shove some towels/some sort of fabric down inside there to help get rid of this damn noise. I love my car but I cannot stand noises and will go to any extreme to get rid of them. A brand new car should not have any noise or creek in my opinion. I don't care if it is a Kia or a BMW. A new car should be buttoned up like a tank. It should be Solid. No noises, no nothing. I guess what I am trying to say is: quality.
CREED & CAMARO
Old 08-02-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
SSPower
Surely thou jivest...

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 CGM/IOM stripes
Mine doesn't make that noise...I'd take it back to another dealer and have them check it .

Last edited by SSPower; 08-02-2010 at 03:10 PM.
SSPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:08 AM   #4
soniccj7

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS IBM
My 2000 Camaro had noise coming from the shifter area that turned out to be an identification tag on the transmission rubbing on the body. Worth a look.
soniccj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:18 AM   #5
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Its possible that the linkage (between tranny & shifter) has loosened up a little, or maybe you're starting to get a little clutch chatter. It is possible for drivetrain noise to cause a little shifter vibration - but its more common in aftermarket shifters. You might check the shifter mount bolts to make sure they are tight. Also, some dynamat on the linkage might help dampen the noise.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:24 AM   #6
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Could be the trans brace ... Squeaks under load
Old 08-02-2010, 06:42 AM   #7
motor1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/M6.....no longer
search "rice crispies", sounds like the heater hose TSB that I had corrected.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42436
motor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
alterbrett

Thank you everybody. These all sound like viable solutions. I will try them out. Hopefully it goes away.
CREED & CAMARO
Old 08-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
not discredting you or anything but have you ever owned a manual? Manuals due have a tendacy to squeak and make some noises here and there. But with that said, alot of dealers I think do crappy work on warranty stuff. First off they check the most easiest things first and if that checks out they will send you on your way even if the car hasnt been fixed, and they will have you come back again and check a different thing. I think this is how dealers milk the system, most dealer Welcome warranty work because its work and guarenteed but at the same time hate because its a set rate for labor, usually 20-30 lower than what they normall charge, possibly even higher. Ive heard off comments on them doing warranty work. I had an 07 chevy that had a water leak(due to them taking apart my door to fix a rattling noise, never leaked until they did this.) So they went over it 4 times until they finally really tore it apart and had a pro check it out. And have you ever noticed on warranty work where you really have to push them to fix things and find your self getting into arguements.