Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-28-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Quieting down headers with res. xpipe?

I recently added a set of LT's coupled with a New Era OTR intake and a muffler delete.

I actually LOVE the sound at all RPM ranges, however I'm afraid that I've made my car somewhat obnoxious in the process.

I am on a relatively limited budget, but I would like to tone it down just a hair, as well as take a bit of the edge off of the decel pop. I haven't tuned the car yet, and I don't intend to have DFCO tuned out. I like my pops, just not to the point that they scare children on the street LOL

Anyway. I was considering a magnaflow resonated X pipe to mellow out the tone. I figure this would tame the popping and give me a slightly more refined tone. One concern I have is that I would scrape the resonator due to my car being lowered 1.25" So far I've had no clearance issues and I would like to keep it that way

Any thoughts or suggestions? I do still have my stock cans in the garage, but I'd hate to put them back on. My car sounds like a beast at idle, and at WOT it's just...awesome. I'd like to keep it that way without giving people heart attacks when passing them!!!

Thanks for the input folks!!!
Old 07-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
The resonated x-pipe is what us v6 guys use to cancel out the rasp but it quiets down the loudness a little bit too. I think it would help quiet down your setup (but not dramtically) and it's 100$ or something like that
Old 07-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
That would help quite a bit.
I run the Magnaflow Street catback which really helps keep my setup at a respectable noise level.

The Magnaflow street comes with the 2 regular Magnaflow mufflers along with their resonated X pipe (3rd muffler). That 3rd muffler (resonated X pipe) really helps keep the noise level in check.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
It will quite a bit and deepen the tone a tad.
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
You could also throw some bullet mufflers back in.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
decel pop will be a little bit less, about the reduction the stock ones give. I'm not sure if the headers lower the entire exhaust closer to the ground in that area, if not no clearance problems with it.and yes it will muffle the sounds noticeably, and deeper and smoother also
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
will quiet it down.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
06blownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I love scaring children
Black on Black on Black 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3;K&N intake, Dynatech 1 7/8 catted LTs, Borla S Cat Back, Eibach prokit, Pfadt rear trailing arms, ZL-1 driveline, BTR Stage III Cam, Tuned by Performance Redline 444.1whp & 442.9 ft-lb
06blownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
I had the same issue, sounded great but a little obnoxious! I have a 2 1/2" Solo Performance Mach-x which has an integrated X-pipe/muffler assembly so I ended up installing a pair of resonators where axle back mufflers would go. It really helped mellow out the harshness and actually deepened the tone! Very happy with it now, I can keep it calm in the neighborhood but it still kicks azz at WOT! The resonators are made by Solo and I think they were around $100 each. You can see the resonators in the pic.
Attached Images

ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
i had the same problem i used magnaflows resonated x and it help tons i have obx headers no cats and the comp magnaflow 2.5 exhaust no cans just like a straight pipe and its not bad at all now but sounds good get lot of compliments , the resonated x is what ur lookin for .

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #11
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
A tune would take a lot of that out. My LT equipped car became MUCH quieter after a good Jannettty tune.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
TSSUNAMI

A tune is definitely in the works. I'm most likely going to go the xpipe route but may check on the solo resonators. The only thing stopping me from doing the xpipe are the ground clearance concerns.

Thanks so much for the input folks!!
Old 07-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
TSSUNAMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
I had the same issue, sounded great but a little obnoxious! I have a 2 1/2" Solo Performance Mach-x which has an integrated X-pipe/muffler assembly so I ended up installing a pair of resonators where axle back mufflers would go. It really helped mellow out the harshness and actually deepened the tone! Very happy with it now, I can keep it calm in the neighborhood but it still kicks azz at WOT! The resonators are made by Solo and I think they were around $100 each. You can see the resonators in the pic.

BTW Mike.... your car's rear end looks badass.

Hopefully I'll get to see it sometime! I'm not making canada again this year due to a schedule conflict at work. Go figure my busiest week of the year falls on the BBOMG =/