Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
hercamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS Red w/black
Angry Small Paint issue is now a huge mess...

This is a very long story, but I will make it as short as possible.

I had my car in for an oil change and asked about a small chip under the spoiler. The service dept said that it looked like warranty work, but to check with the collision dept. They agreed and said they would fix the chip (size was smaller than my pinky fingernail) within 3 days.

Car was delivered back to me without one of the stripes on the trunk. They said that the guy who put them on messed it up, but would come out to my work and finish it the next day. Took car home and then looked at the back end....

The edge of the trunk had been "buffed" to the metal
There was a deep (to the metal) scratch between the stripes on the trunk
The stripe decals were scrated
The entire bumper was a mess of swirls/scratches
The drivers side tail light was either scratched or it had something on it that would not come off.

I took the car back that night. The collision manager was called and he said he could see the problems from inside his truck...in the dark. Said it looked like there may have been grit in the buffer??? Said he was embarrased and that they would correct. Bring it back the following Mon.

Car was dropped off again (Mon). I asked that they keep in touch with me about the corrections. No word from the mgr on Wed. Called and got into a verbal altercation. The manager now was telling me that they were a production based shop and that they could not look at every car under every light condition....and that 99% of people would have considered the car acceptable (except for the big scratch/burn mark). I ended up calling the GM. He said he was aware of how my car had been messed up and assured me the car would be corrected and that I would not be disappointed.

Picked up car....guess what....it is in worse shape now that it was the first time. There is overspray (or something) on fender and bumper, the bumper has places that feel like sand paper, one of the stripes is cut in half.....scratches/swirls...it is a mess. I have pictures....

I emailed cac@chevrolet.com and have an appointment to talk to someone tonight between 6-8. They have the pictures of the car.

At this point...I am kicking myself. My only expectation was that they would fix the one tiny spot and that I would get my car back in at least the same condition as when I dropped it off.....Is there anything else that I need to do? Is is reasonable at this point to expect Chevy (or the dealership) to pay to have the car corrected by someone I choose?

Any help/suggestions/advise before tonight would really be appreciated.

Thanks...I need to vent or I would scream!
hercamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Well don't stop until it's done to your satisfaction. And one thing to learn here is sometimes it's better to live with small blemishes on your Camaro because as you have just learned, sometimes they come back worse.

Besides, small dings scratches and blemishes build character. They're like scars. Kind of cool!

Let us know what happens.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
Wantconvertible

Drives: 2011 SS/RS VERT
Keep us posted
Wantconvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
SS4Fun
and that it is!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/ SLP ZL575 #70
The chip came from your spoiler rubbing on the trunk lid. Did they install the spacers so this won't (hopefully) happen again. Sounds like the least of your problems at the moment........ just wanted to throw that out there. Had mine fixed with no other problems, but now crap gets stuck under there. :( Hope you get her fixed.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
STINGER BEE
2010RS/SS RUMBLEBEE

Drives: Drives a 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
That's a bummer I would scream too.Hope all works out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercamaro View Post
This is a very long story, but I will make it as short as possible.

I had my car in for an oil change and asked about a small chip under the spoiler. The service dept said that it looked like warranty work, but to check with the collision dept. They agreed and said they would fix the chip (size was smaller than my pinky fingernail) within 3 days.

Car was delivered back to me without one of the stripes on the trunk. They said that the guy who put them on messed it up, but would come out to my work and finish it the next day. Took car home and then looked at the back end....

The edge of the trunk had been "buffed" to the metal
There was a deep (to the metal) scratch between the stripes on the trunk
The stripe decals were scrated
The entire bumper was a mess of swirls/scratches
The drivers side tail light was either scratched or it had something on it that would not come off.

I took the car back that night. The collision manager was called and he said he could see the problems from inside his truck...in the dark. Said it looked like there may have been grit in the buffer??? Said he was embarrased and that they would correct. Bring it back the following Mon.

Car was dropped off again (Mon). I asked that they keep in touch with me about the corrections. No word from the mgr on Wed. Called and got into a verbal altercation. The manager now was telling me that they were a production based shop and that they could not look at every car under every light condition....and that 99% of people would have considered the car acceptable (except for the big scratch/burn mark). I ended up calling the GM. He said he was aware of how my car had been messed up and assured me the car would be corrected and that I would not be disappointed.

Picked up car....guess what....it is in worse shape now that it was the first time. There is overspray (or something) on fender and bumper, the bumper has places that feel like sand paper, one of the stripes is cut in half.....scratches/swirls...it is a mess. I have pictures....

I emailed cac@chevrolet.com and have an appointment to talk to someone tonight between 6-8. They have the pictures of the car.

At this point...I am kicking myself. My only expectation was that they would fix the one tiny spot and that I would get my car back in at least the same condition as when I dropped it off.....Is there anything else that I need to do? Is is reasonable at this point to expect Chevy (or the dealership) to pay to have the car corrected by someone I choose?

Any help/suggestions/advise before tonight would really be appreciated.

Thanks...I need to vent or I would scream!
Old 11-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
hercamaro

Interesting....I was scheduled to get a phone call today from 7-9pm EST from CAC...No such luck. I just called the rep who emailed me and left a message to call me tomorrow. Will see if they call me then. Ugh! This whole thing is just a mess!
Old 11-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
hercamaro, could you send me your case number so I can take a look at it and make sure it's being handled properly? Thank you. I'm terribly sorry to hear about this.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #8
Agostino13

Drives: 2010 Red 2SS/RS
I had the same problem with my car and still have the problem 2 years later. 1st time I showed them they touched it up and it looked bad I was unhappy with touch up paint on my brand new car so I took it back this time they painted it but then cleared over my entire trunk including the stripes. Went back a 3 rd time they painted it and replaced the stripes this time they did not finish the underside of the trunk it looked bad and the paint would peel off. I didn't want to bring it back a 4th time so I kept it like that 3 months later spoiler chipped the paint again. I'm suppose to bring it back but there body shops are so bad that I don't want to and they will only bring it back to the same guy. I plan on just buying a new trunk eventually.
Agostino13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
wow...this scary...i happen to think that my oem paint isnt the best...i see many imperfections...i just live with it now...i hope u fellaz all the luck...but i am sorry to hear u are passing thru this :(
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #10
Awesome_SS
Jeff

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Wow, it seems the dealerships really have a hard time fixing small paint chips! I had one caused by the spoiler also. Each time I took it back, they would mess it up worse than it was before. I should have just patched it with touch-up paint myself. They got over spray all over the car, put more scratches into the paint, shot clear over the over spray, paint runs, etc. Finally they got it reasonable, but I am still not happy with it. The dealer offered to fix it again, but it was to the point I was just wasting my time with them.

Just can't get quality people these days.

Awesome_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #11
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
Sorry to hear the problems your having. I would be so mad, I could spit bullets.. I'd be ready to someones a**

Keep us posted.. but once someone starts messing around with your car.. paint and repaint... sand, prime..paint...man it's just never the same..

GL
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #12
hercamaro

The Service Request number is 71-1012820849. This whole thing has been a nightmare. I am just beating myself up for letting these people touch my car to begin with....Go figure??? My only real expectation was that I would get my car back in at least the same condition (with the little spot fixed) as when I dropped it off. I will never go back there again....It was tense enough the last time I was there...I can't imagine what it would be like now.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #13
hercamaro

Talked to the Rep this afternoon. It seems that the Dealership has not responded to their call. Tomorrow (with or without the dealerships input) this will be elevated to someone....The sad thing is that the rep said that because of their computer system, that he was not able to see the pictures that I sent? I think that a picture is better than a thousand words in this situation. I guess they will call me tomorrow with more information...Keeping my fingers crossed that this will all be behind me soon!

FYI...I uploaded some of the pictures into my profile....If anyone wants to see some of the damages.

Last edited by hercamaro; 11-29-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #14
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Did you mention the name of the bodyshop? Let me know so I can make a point of not going to them if I need body work (I'm in DFW too). PM me this info if you need to.