Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #29
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
i don't know what the big deal is about making the statement that the percentage of vette owners that are wealthy is greater than the percentage of camaro owners that are wealthy. maybe if you compared the 2SS to the base corvette that percentage would diminish (because the price does), but generally speaking people with more money have more expensive toys.

and i hate to be the one to say it, but a lot of people make poor financial decisions (i.e. $30,000 millionaires that buy $50,000 cars) and those people and decisions will always tarnish statistics. but in a perfect world where everyone has an 800 credit score with good financial sense and varying degrees of wealth, i think you would see the vast majority of vette owners have an income over $100,000 annually.

so yeah, in effect i think one could say the camaro is sometimes the poor man's vette, but you could also just as easily say in effect the vette is sometimes a poor man's ride.
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #30
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
This thread is ALL OVER the place, lol.
I have a headache, anyone else? I forgot my original point even!!!
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #31
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
In 2004 I had an 02 Camaro SS. I saw the new C6 Vette being build in Bowling Green. I liked the new C6 Vette, so I bought one. I was retired by that time. I also had a 69 SS396 Camaro which I gave to my son in 2006. When I saw the unvailing of concept Camaro at the Copo Center in Jan of 2006, I knew I would have one of them. Now I enjoy driving my 2010 SS more then the Vette. I'm also thinking of selling the vette now. I agree they are two different cars. As was said the Camaro is a muscle car and I guess I like muscle cars more than sport cars.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #32
BlueSteele

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Lol at comparing the base model of one car line against the highest model (that costs more than double the base model) of another car line. You sound like a Mustang guy.
...Or Motortrend Magazine
Old 12-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #33
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTG View Post
This thread is ALL OVER the place, lol.
I have a headache, anyone else? I forgot my original point even!!!
Haha I agree, this thread was a bad idea. I didn't even bother reading all the posts, just the read the OP and posted my reply.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #34
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Some random thoughts.......

We have no plans to drop Camaro or Corvette. We simply see that you, the consumer, are better served by offering you two different performance vehicle-lines with various models within each vehicle-line.....

Yes, there is 'cross-buying' and there always will be. Further, there are a substantial number of Camaro owers who also have a Corvette in the Garage and vice-versa.

(my favorite: Al, our friend at South Jersey Camaro Club - has a 2SS/RS - his wife has an RS -- and his daily driver? A Z06! -- the SS/RS is the pampered car!)

Be careful with labels - I know blue collar workers who earn well over $100,000 a year - and some who make much more than that - and I know white collar workers who earn $30,000 a year...........labels are rarely a good thing......

It's never a case of "Brand X is better than brand Y" -- to wit: There's a Z06 in my driveway right now - (awaiting ZL1 CTF) -- and it's an amazing car - BUT - two seats versus 4inapinch -- handling is amazing, but a rougher ride and much more road noise than a ZL1 -- and let us not forget that the Corvette is nearing the end of the C6 lifecycle.....

......and speaking of lifecycles, you'll see a definite uptick in Corvette sales once a C7 hits the streets - that's simply the nature of this business.

So - the moral of the story? You really can never win an argument when you say "Brand X > Brand Y" -- it's never that simple.......

.......isn't it GREAT that there ARE so many performance choices today?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #35
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscamaro View Post
In 2004 I had an 02 Camaro SS. I saw the new C6 Vette being build in Bowling Green. I liked the new C6 Vette, so I bought one. I was retired by that time. I also had a 69 SS396 Camaro which I gave to my son in 2006. When I saw the unvailing of concept Camaro at the Copo Center in Jan of 2006, I knew I would have one of them. Now I enjoy driving my 2010 SS more then the Vette. I'm also thinking of selling the vette now. I agree they are two different cars. As was said the Camaro is a muscle car and I guess I like muscle cars more than sport cars.
Hi SSCamaro! I was glad to see you at the unveiling and I know that neither one of us will ever forget that day!

Thank you for your continued loyalty to Chevrolet (for those of you who don't know him - SSCamaro has had Chevrolets for his entire driving life!)

-Oh! AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

(and I know you love your Camaros - but I just think you'll have another Corvette one of these days --- in addition to a Camaro!)
Old 12-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #36
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Some random thoughts.......

We have no plans to drop Camaro or Corvette. We simply see that you, the consumer, are better served by offering you two different performance vehicle-lines with various models within each vehicle-line.....

Yes, there is 'cross-buying' and there always will be. Further, there are a substantial number of Camaro owers who also have a Corvette in the Garage and vice-versa.

It's never a case of "Brand X is better than brand Y" -- to wit: There's a
So - the moral of the story? You really can never win an argument when you say "Brand X > Brand Y" -- it's never that simple.......

.......isn't it GREAT that there ARE so many performance choices today?

Agreed.Better to have the choices as then the flexibility in features is there.
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #37
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
got to love how people think power is what makes a car fast or not. first off a LS3 c6 vette in a sense is the same engine my car has. ABOUT the same HP but the corvette has characteristics that make it faster.

but when talking about a Z06 or ZR1 the car is WAY more of a sports car, and they are made much lighter, let me say it again WAY lighter. even with more power we cant touch them overall.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #38
Vaugner
Never Surrender!

Drives: '11 Camaro LS

We should all be focusing on driving around at 88 mph regardless of what Chevy we own, you know..so long as this...

Old 12-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #39
jandaseve

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 1SS/RS Hurst
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaugner View Post

We should all be focusing on driving around at 88 mph regardless of what Chevy we own, you know..so long as this...

jandaseve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #40
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, CGM w/ Silver Stripes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaugner View Post

I got one of those! Just used it Monday!

Momma didn't bronze my shoes, but when I turned 16 I inherited a lead foot.
Devryn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #41
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
I think the "general public" thinks of Tahoe, Suburban, Silverado, and Malibu way before they think about Camaros and Corvettes. When the corvette gets it's refresh things will be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
I hate this statement, and I see it too often. The Camaro will never Kill the Vette....
Mine might.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
No worries, the two cars are in different markets. A Vette is a white collar car and a Camaro is a blue collar car. Those two worlds don't colide, it's been like that since the 60's ...
Don't know about that but after buying Bonnies C6 Vette (though it's just a base model) I have to say my suspicions were right.

Corvette didn't impress me at all. I don't see it as a 'mans' car. (As in tough and manly) Just seems more of a pretentious status thing. Like a BMW. Just seems that way to me.

I feel MUCH better sticking my chest out saying my car is a 5th Gen Camaro than a Vette.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #42
monicatomokc

Drives: 2014 Corvette 2021 Tahoe Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrole+ View Post
I know that this will be argued both ways....

I know that GM has the vette, and the vette is their best car and all. but does anybody else feel like it is being taken over by the new camaros. not necessarily performance wise, but it seems like the general public thinks camaro when they think of Chevrolet instead of corvette.

realisticly the camaro will never has as much power as the corvette ((STOCK)), just because that would kill the vette, but it doesnt seem like it takes a very long time for a new camaro owner to hit up all of the aftermarket bolt ons!!!!

What are everyone else's views on this. and is it a bad thing?!
I think that when you ask any of us from the "baby-boomer" generation, when we think of Chevrolet, we think "Impala" and "Corvette." It was in my 1960's teen years when Chevrolet exploded with all the new names like Corvair, Nova, Chevelle and then, CAMARO!! So I guess it all boils down to what appealed to your personal likes and dislikes in your "formative years." I went to high school with one guy that loved his '63 Impala 327 and another that loved his '62 Corvair!!! I think everyone would secretly love to own a Corvette, simply because of the name and history. At this stage in my life I could have bought a Corvette, but the Camaro just looked so damn good and I have great memories of that friend that had that '63 Impala and traded it in for a brand new 1968 Camaro SS with a 396/375HP !!!