Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-20-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
BruceF

Drives: 99 Corvette
Autoweek Chevrolet Camaro Review : V6 more than solid; V8 SS is a rush

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2009...IEWS/903209981

After three years anticipating and two hours driving the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro, there's not much to be disappointed about. And, yet, a thought lingers: The 426-horsepower, LS3-powered Camaro SS is hot, but the V6-powered LS (and LT) are crucial.

Consider Camaro's longtime, more successful competitor. Over four decades, Ford's Mustang has run 60 percent six-cylinder production and never less than 50 percent sixes at a given time. And so it must be with the new-generation Camaro. The V6-powered cars will keep the Camaro plant in Oshawa, Ontario, stoked, and they will give rise to a next-generation, high-performance SS model, whatever that car might turn out to be.

Or not.

By Chevrolet's admission, the new Camaro must do more than compete with so-called pony cars--a.k.a Ford's Mustang and Dodge's Challenger. It must reach past aging muscle car enthusiasts to thrive. Chevrolet insists it will do that by chasing buyers who might otherwise choose a Honda Civic Si, a Scion tC or even a Hyundai Genesis Coupe. But most of that work must be done by the Camaro LS and LT.

<article continues>
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
Joe Remi

Drives: '17 Impala V6 LT
That would be me. I have a Civic and was anticipating the next SI or the Hyundai before I discovered the Camaro 6. I'll take it.
Joe Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
is there a vid in this one, i want to see another vid besides the Edmunds one
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Do you guys find it funny, that when ever someone gets hold of a v6 RS, they suddenly just call it an RS? Like its kind of a v6 thing only? I wonder what they would say with an SS/RS
Ijust thought it was funny
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
either their V6 test car was a LS or a 1Lt since they described the 18" tires...It sounds very good for us Base model buyers!
Old 03-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
Lenny
Lenny

Drives: 08 CTS
You may need to add me to the list of "defectors". I went to a dealer and had a lengthy discussion. They didn't seem well informed on getting one. I gave it a lot of thought..... GM is several years late on the muscle car entry. The car got so heavy they had to make the hood out of aluminum. The engine compartment got so crowded they had to put the battery in the trunk. And the "packages" and tire sizes! What were they thinking? Why so many different sizes and why the ones they selected? Did they look at how much those tires cost to replace? To get an SS you get two different sized tire sizes and can't even rotate them. Want the spoiler on the V6? If so, it's $1450 because you have to take a bunch of other stuff that you may or may not want. Don't want the spoiler on the V8? Too bad - you're taking it anyway. I have driven the chevy trucks with the VCM and don't want anything to do with that - thus no V8 if I want my wife to drive the car (she can't drive a manual tranny). So for this 51 year old man who was REALLY looking forward to the camaro - a camaro that I believe looks better than those of the 60s - I think I'm going to pass. As much as I don't want to do it, it's probably going to be another import. Sorry. I really did want one, but not like this.
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:54 PM   #7
Cyberfan

Drives: 08 Z06 Vette; 02 T/A Firehawk
I agree with the article- the V-6 is really the revolutionary engine: 4 OHC, 4 valves per cylinder, variable valve timing- very 21st Century. THAT is what will keep the car alive for the crowd that wants a car in the 20's with good performance and great looks, not the V-8. I'll probably get the SS with its 20th century pushrod technology (except for the roller cam) but that's just because I am old school. But a lot of young people now think in terms of 4 and 6 cylinders- this car competes well and will peel off some Toyota/Honda/Nissan people that also think the car looks great.

This is the kind of thinking that will make American car makers competitive again. Imagine a world where you see as many Camaros in Tokyo as Hondas in Cleveland. It's possible.
Cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
Jimmy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Camaro
I am looking for a good rush.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #9
CynAgain

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
You may need to add me to the list of "defectors". I went to a dealer and had a lengthy discussion. They didn't seem well informed on getting one. I gave it a lot of thought..... GM is several years late on the muscle car entry. The car got so heavy they had to make the hood out of aluminum. The engine compartment got so crowded they had to put the battery in the trunk. And the "packages" and tire sizes! What were they thinking? Why so many different sizes and why the ones they selected? Did they look at how much those tires cost to replace? To get an SS you get two different sized tire sizes and can't even rotate them. Want the spoiler on the V6? If so, it's $1450 because you have to take a bunch of other stuff that you may or may not want. Don't want the spoiler on the V8? Too bad - you're taking it anyway. I have driven the chevy trucks with the VCM and don't want anything to do with that - thus no V8 if I want my wife to drive the car (she can't drive a manual tranny). So for this 51 year old man who was REALLY looking forward to the camaro - a camaro that I believe looks better than those of the 60s - I think I'm going to pass. As much as I don't want to do it, it's probably going to be another import. Sorry. I really did want one, but not like this.
Wow dude, I am so glad you dropped in to tell us that.

btw, who gives a isth where the battery is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
I am looking for a good rush.
CynAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:52 PM   #10
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynAgain View Post
Wow dude, I am so glad you dropped in to tell us that.

btw, who gives a isth where the battery is?

Who joins a Camaro site just to bash the car and then tell everyone he's going to buy an import?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:53 PM   #11
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
I'm looking forward to 300+ horses from a butter smooth V6.
- Xanthos

P.S. - Oh, and the battery was put in the trunk for weight distribution reasons. If you've seen the car in person, you'd see there's room for the battery in the engine compartment.

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:20 PM   #12
Lenny
Lenny

Drives: 08 CTS
Who joins a camaro site to bash a car? Actually, it wasn't like that at all. I've been following these threads for some time. I got an email directing me here and in the very first thread it says:
By Chevrolet's admission, the new Camaro must do more than compete with so-called pony cars--a.k.a Ford's Mustang and Dodge's Challenger. It must reach past aging muscle car enthusiasts to thrive. Chevrolet insists it will do that by chasing buyers who might otherwise choose a Honda Civic Si, a Scion tC or even a Hyundai Genesis Coupe. But most of that work must be done by the Camaro LS and LT.

I had my heart set on purchasing two camaros - one for my son and one for myself. He is in his 20s and wants a ricer - fine... I was just responding to the very first entry here. For someone in his 20s or 30s I'm sure they would purchase this on emotion. For someone in his 50s, I was purchasing for an entirely different reason. I was looking for a well-built retro looking car. I simply told you why I have decided not to buy one. Money is not an issue as I am financially retired. For me, it was a matter of what I would call 50ish male common sense. I looked at the thought process that went into the car and was not impressed. I have owned a lot of cars and I don't care who makes them or where they're made (camaro is assembled in canada and I think many of the engines are made in Mexico). But to see the weight problem, the tire issues (that had to be made by a committee as no one person could be that stupid), the battery location, modifying the cylinders in the V8 to add VCM capabilities, no spare tire... the list was just too long for me to overlook. For those who do purchase the vehicle, I wish them nothing but the best. I own a CTS with the 3.6 and I love it. I wish it had the additional horsepower of the camaro.
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #13
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
I don't know if they're any way to say this that doesn't sound disrespectful (it's not how i want to sound) , but i think you're maybe just a bit too old fashioned for this car.
- They're only a year behind Dodge and Ford never quit the segment so several years late is a bit of an exaggeration.
- There's not much wiggle room weight wise with the Zeta platform, the two lightest cars are the camaro and g8, and making a new platform just for this car was out of the question for a cash strapped company.
- I may be wrong but i assumed the reason the battery was in the trunk was for weight distribution. And I don't see how it makes any difference to us, the consumer.
- As far as the tires go it's common place for sports cars to have different sized front and rear tires. Wider in back for grip/traction skinnier up front to be able to turn without rubbing the inside of the fender well. And i don't see what the problem is with the price to replace them, the tires for my old Regal were $125 a piece these are about $136-$140.
- Yeah the spoiler thing is a bit annoying but if you really do or don't want it you can change it yourself.
- VCM? I'll assume you meant AFM and that you can tune it out. Probably cost you less that $200.

I mean i really don't see the big deal about any of your gripes with the exception of the weight and spoiler. I could understand if you didn't like the interior layout. Or the trunk opening was too small. Or you though it looked like poo. But for the price this is a hell of a car. I just don't get how someone would say, "i didn't get the car cause battery is in the back. " "the hood is aluminum" "the tire and wheel packages are different from what i'm used to" etc.
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #14
Caliman93230

Drives: LS3S/C
CynAgain, your lips are distracting. nice to have you in the forum.