Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
Big C CamaroSS

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
DBA Two Piece 5000 series rotors

I know the Racing Brake two piece rotors are top 3 when it comes to Camaro rotors, but the DBA two piece 5000 series rotors are up there too, right? And for the rear.....the 4000 series 6x6 (slotted) rotors to match the front. Both have the "black hat" hub. I've read many, many good reviews on DBA rotors, but it would be nice to hear first hand experiences. Would I benefit from weight saving from both front & rear rotors? Thanks.

I'm looking at ordering from Maryland Speed....I hope they still have the rear rotors in stock
Big C CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C CamaroSS View Post
I know the Racing Brake two piece rotors are top 3 when it comes to Camaro rotors, but the DBA two piece 5000 series rotors are up there too, right? And for the rear.....the 4000 series 6x6 (slotted) rotors to match the front. Both have the "black hat" hub. I've read many, many good reviews on DBA rotors, but it would be nice to hear first hand experiences. Would I benefit from weight saving from both front & rear rotors? Thanks.

I'm looking at ordering from Maryland Speed....I hope they still have the rear rotors in stock
I'm not sure about the 5000 series, but the 4000 series actually weigh a little more than stock when I put them on my 2010. They work good, but unless the 5000 series weighs less, not sure I would get them over the Racing Brake rotors.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
I'm not sure about the 5000 series, but the 4000 series actually weigh a little more than stock when I put them on my 2010. They work good, but unless the 5000 series weighs less, not sure I would get them over the Racing Brake rotors.
This is why Racing Brake rotors are so popular. They are stupid light compared to the OEM rotors.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
Big C CamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
This is why Racing Brake rotors are so popular. They are stupid light compared to the OEM rotors.
Well for $2100 they should be !!

Thanks for the heads up on the rotor weights So Cal Camaro....I would be more likely to put the money towards new rims than rotors. Rotors will be a Christmas present this year
Old 04-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C CamaroSS View Post
Well for $2100 they should be !!

Thanks for the heads up on the rotor weights So Cal Camaro....I would be more likely to put the money towards new rims than rotors. Rotors will be a Christmas present this year
Reason they are worth the money to me (which btw they are only $1,850 from Apex Speed) is because they weight savings is 100% unsprung weight. Whereas any weight savings in wheels is split between rotational weight and unsprung weight.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
the dba's are a good choice if you are just interested in how they look.

if you want performance and looks there is a reason racing brake costs what they do. they are pretty and have pretty significant weight loss in a very crucial area as stieger described.

goodluck with what you choose.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:35 AM   #7
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
The DBA 5000s weigh a few pounds less than stock. I know on Docs build thread he put them on a scale to compare to stock. As far as function I had 5000s front and 4000s rear. Never had brake issues on any track or in the canyons. I did change to CTS-V 6 piston fronts and keeping the 4000s out back.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:07 AM   #8
Big C CamaroSS

Thanks everyone. I was up cleaning the gutters yesterday and we really need to move forward with a new roof this year so new rotors (Racing Brake maybe???) will need to be an over-the-winter buy. If I spend money on my camaro, it will be for new rims and tires.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
OV3RDRIV3

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno LS3 View Post
The DBA 5000s weigh a few pounds less than stock. I know on Docs build thread he put them on a scale to compare to stock. As far as function I had 5000s front and 4000s rear. Never had brake issues on any track or in the canyons. I did change to CTS-V 6 piston fronts and keeping the 4000s out back.
Are you still happy with your 5000's in the front and 4000's in the rear? Seems the 5000's would be about $800 for fronts and the 4000's would be about $500. Know any good places to purchase? I may go this route as well. Not sure I wanna shell out for the RB :/ I do want the RB's really bad though
OV3RDRIV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #10
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
Quote:
Originally Posted by OV3RDRIV3 View Post
Are you still happy with your 5000's in the front and 4000's in the rear? Seems the 5000's would be about $800 for fronts and the 4000's would be about $500. Know any good places to purchase? I may go this route as well. Not sure I wanna shell out for the RB :/ I do want the RB's really bad though
I was happy with them when I had them. Did plenty of events as road course in Phoenix and lots of autoX events.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:07 AM   #11
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno LS3 View Post
wierd cuz Doc runs RB.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:54 AM   #12
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
wierd cuz Doc runs RB.
This
Old 06-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #13
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Reason they are worth the money to me (which btw they are only $1,850 from Apex Speed) is because they weight savings is 100% unsprung weight. Whereas any weight savings in wheels is split between rotational weight and unsprung weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
the dba's are a good choice if you are just interested in how they look.

if you want performance and looks there is a reason racing brake costs what they do. they are pretty and have pretty significant weight loss in a very crucial area as stieger described.

goodluck with what you choose.
Both very good posts. Also keep in mind that RacingBrake also excels is heat dissipation. This is another area where other brands just do not compare. Like SPCBA said, not everyone needs that much rotor though.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #14
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Both very good posts. Also keep in mind that RacingBrake also excels is heat dissipation. This is another area where other brands just do not compare. Like SPCBA said, not everyone needs that much rotor though.
True, for a non-track car RB is a bit of over kill.