Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 09-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #29
Mikk2K

Drives: '10 Camaro LTRS, '12 Pro4x Frontier
I was originally told that it was an extra charge used to protect my information and was required to do since 9/11. It wasn't until I called back last night and spoke with someone and told them to go into detail what is involved with this "fee" did I learn that they were essentially charging me to store the documents I fill out.
Mikk2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #30
BlackCamaroSS
Old school SS, junior

Drives: Many; all Chevrolet
Does the documentation fee go to the salesman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viz View Post
not a penny
That's what I thought. I was just trying to figure out why the sales professionals here are so adamant about defending the doc. fee and making comments about their pay, when the fee really has nothing to do with their pay. Conversely, I'm trying to figure out why consumers in this thread are slamming sales professionals for the doc. fee, when the sales guys have nothing to do with it.
BlackCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #31
jrboyd_1980
A ***'s Headache

Drives: Everything
It's not that we are defending the doc fee, just annoying that people get all flustered about te doc. fee, and it's the sales person that have to handle it. Or customers wanting everything at Cost, and wanting the best possible service. I happily give my customers the best possible service, but believe it or not, the customers that you give away everything, and make no money, are the customers that are the unhappiest and consistantly complain, regardless what you do for them. Doc fee's, interest rates, sales taxes, and license fee's are part of purchasing a vehicle.
jrboyd_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:13 PM   #32
espo19047

Drives: Impala
Send a message via AIM to espo19047
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
The weakest link GM has right now is the sales rep.
I have to agree. The Salesman is the face of The Manufacturer and the dealership yet they invest very little in treating them like professionals. If the salesman was treated right the best would not have left.The training is not there.

This is a quote from one of my blogs on an automotive site;

The typical salesman receives very little training. There is nothing to prepare you for the first time a Manager calls you a week #@%*! Just when you get over that a customer will call you something worse. So here I am as a salesman trying to sell my customer and my desk at the same time. My Customer is looking at a $20,000 vehicle and wants to be under $300 a month with zero down. The desk manager says to "hit him at $750 per month with $2000 down and don't let him leave." They sit up on their throne and throw out ridiculous scenarios that they would never think of presenting themselves. Here I am the only realistic one of the three in this situation yet the other two think I am a big idiot.

http://www.drivingsales.com/blogs/yo...a-nuclear-war/

I also think this is not only a problem for GM but all of the manufacturers.

Everyone gets what they pay for. I can get a hammer at Home depot or the local Hardware guy trying to survive. Where will I get better service?
espo19047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #33
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrboyd_1980 View Post
It's not that we are defending the doc fee, just annoying that people get all flustered about te doc. fee, and it's the sales person that have to handle it. Or customers wanting everything at Cost, and wanting the best possible service. I happily give my customers the best possible service, but believe it or not, the customers that you give away everything, and make no money, are the customers that are the unhappiest and consistantly complain, regardless what you do for them. Doc fee's, interest rates, sales taxes, and license fee's are part of purchasing a vehicle.
Sales guys are very important and take all the crap. I know from the business I'm in. But I also know If I sold someone a new furnace or ac and tacted on a bunch of paper work fees I wouldn't get very many jobs. Paper work is a product of any business and should be built into overhead. I never in thirty years of buying cars in central Pa. paid a doc. fee nor would I ever. That $95 would be a deal breaker for me just out of princible.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #34
islandwiz

Drives: Soon to be 2LT rally yellow
My dealer is charging me $100 for the document fee, but in comparison to the $40,000 car I am buying, really what's a hundred bucks. However, I do agree that it would be nice if it went to the salesman who helped me. After hearing how little he is going to make from my sale, I think I will throw him a hundred bucks for the extra effort he put in for me.
islandwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #35
USA-1

Drives: 2011 sw vert ss/rs
Is there a limit on the document fee on a gms sale?
USA-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #36
espo19047

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
Is there a limit on the document fee on a gms sale?
Yes it is $75...
Old 09-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #37
The Viz

You can charge more that $75 but it just has to be noted on the GMS paperwork

"God help the child who grows out of everything"
The Viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #38
espo19047

Your correct. It is just our policy. My bad.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #39
BigJoe

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (10/17/2009)
Frankly, I usually find the Salesperson to be the most enjoyable part of the experience. If I don't "hit it off" with the Salesperson at first then I usually retreat for a day or two and make sure when I return that I get to talk to someone else.
I've worked is sales and service all my life and there are always customers who expect everything for cost, super service, and still treat you like dirt.
Salespeople, Dealerships, and Manufacture, all need to make money or there
would be no Camaro's.

God Bless the USA!

Ordered 08/31/2009
Delivered 10/15/2009
Serial# 52,222
BigJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:18 AM   #40
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikk2K View Post
I'm going to be buying a Camaro from a dealership in Eau Claire, WI. When I was there at the dealership I noticed a sticker on the vehicles. It said, price adjustment 95 dollars, or something very similar I can’t remember the exact wording or even the price that was added. I do know it was more the 80 dollars though.

When I spoke to the dealer about this he said it had to do with the privacy of the customer and the paper work that is filled out. He said that since 9/11/01 that this has become a requirement. He said that the state allows dealers to charge up to 150 dollars, and it is up to the dealership’s digression to set the price. He also said since they charge it to one person they have to charge it to everyone.

My question is this true? I don’t recall ever seeing this at other dealerships. It has been some time since my last vehicle purchase so I could be mistaken. I was just curious if anyone else has heard of this or has been charged this when they buy a new vehicle?

Dealership service fees

Dealers may charge a service fee for completing inspections and forms required by law. The service fee is a dealership fee, not a government fee, and is not required by law. Service fees reflect the dealer's costs for complying with mandated state and federal laws, and may be negotiable at some dealerships. You'll find any service fee listed on the vehicle window label, and on the motor vehicle purchase contract.

It can be as high as $499
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:18 AM   #41
VR Code R6P

Drives: 2011 Race Red GT500 w/ SVT Perf Pkg
To all the dealers that say a documention fee, or any other made up fee is "no big deal' to pay, just tell them "then you won't mind waiving it ". Watch how fast they back-peddle and trip over their own tonques!

Last edited by VR Code R6P; 09-20-2009 at 09:23 AM.
VR Code R6P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #42
jrboyd_1980
A ***'s Headache

This conversation is still going on? Had a customer try that with me this week. And I told him very politely that unfortunately we can't do business. I'm not going to sit there and waste my time on a customer arguing over a $50.00 doc fee. I do give my customers the utmost service and ensure I go out of my way to help them out. I even pick their vehicles up at work to bring them in for the oil changes and such. If I have someone making a big deal over a $50.00 document fee, chances are no matter how great the service I provide him, he won't be happy. Rather save myself the headache. Especially on a Camaro, turned around a flipped that same Camaro 2 hrs later, and the next customer was estatic that he didn't pay over sticker. If you guys have a problem with the Document Fee's, take it up with your Senator or Congressman, because guess what, it's a FEDERAL law that allows dealerships to charge it, (not a federal law to charge it) and each state has its own guidelines as to how much.
jrboyd_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote