Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 01-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
SOPMOD
El Presidente (SJCC)

Drives: 2011 SS2 / 2011 LT
XS Power’s Complete Exhaust System

XS Power’s Complete Exhaust System for the 5th Gen Camaro

By: SOPMOD & BillySpeed

I came across this system on the Camaro5 forum as did many others. I think we were all skeptical at first due to the pricing and the photos of the highly polished components. Usually if it looks too good to be true it usually is, but not in this case. Many questions were asked by me directly through PM’s, as well as many other Camaro5 members on the forum. Also to add to the reluctance, Over-steering did not have any real data or hard info posted and was looking for some buyers to do the leg work. So after a few discussions with BillySpeed, he decided to take the plunge. I offered to help with the install and write this review on his behalf. Before starting this project BillySpeed had previously installed a muffler delete and custom tune in his 2010 SS1 LS3 M6.

The first order of business was to remove his custom tune, reinstall the factory tune, and install a complete factory exhaust in order for us to establish a solid base line. Then the car was taken over to Radical Racing for its initial base line pull on the dyno. As shown on the Dyno sheet the first pull was 390.70. Once the base line pull was established we got the car back to Cornell’s Auto Body and on the lift to remove all of the factory exhaust components. Next we got the new system out of its boxes, bubble wrap and laid everything out on the floor to make sure we had everything.

The system is very nice, welds are clean, and they did a great job on the polishing. The 321 grade stainless is very ridged. We only had two minor issues, during the entire install process. First issue; we had to make a very minor dimple in the driver side header in order to allow a little more clearance for the steering shaft. Second issue; we found the included clamps had a hard time of compressing the heavy gage stainless so we used a different style clamp we found at a local auto parts store. We reinstalled the factory O2 sensors along with the (2) 6" O2 extensions that were purchased separately. Once we got the new system installed the car went back to Radical Racing for it final pull and custom tune. On a side note, before the final tune and while still running the factory tune the car did not throw a CEL. The car was driven roughly thirty miles to Radical Racing.
Complete install time was about four hours from start to finish….a mere pit stop!

When the car was purchased new it was put on the dyno. The first pull was 370.32 Horse Power and 372.62 Torque from the factory. Since all the upgrades have been completed to date, the total gain has been 56.77 Horse power and 57.79 Torque; A total gain of 36.39 Horse Power and 31.19 Torque with just the XS Power header system. This system is awesome and we would highly recommend it. I really don’t think you will find a better system for the money out there. The car pulls hard and this writing does not do it justice. You really have to drive it to feel the difference and believe it!

So if you are in the market for headers and exhaust I would not hesitate or have any reluctance in purchasing this system.

Before removing manifolds and installing the headers we removed the negative ground cable from passenger side head to get a little more clearance for wrenches.

Test fitting headers to check for any clearance issues. The driver side header just barely made contact with the steering shaft so we opted to dimple header.

Looking from top driver side header and steering shaft contact point.

Marking driver side header contact point.

Dimpling the header, we decided to use a large deep socket, extension and hammer. We did not apply any heat as we only had to make a very minor dimple.

When we reinstalled the headers we used and old trick and cut slots in the front and rear of the gaskets. Only installed the front and rear header bolts then dropped the gaskets in from the top. This is a great trick and makes things a lot easier when installing the headers.

Both headers were installed from under the car. The directions stated one had to go in from the top, but we were able to install both from the bottom.

These are the band clamps that were purchased at a local parts store.

We used a transmission jack to help support everything as we made adjustments.

To help maintain clearance on the rear differential we used small wedges we split off a block of 2X4. These were in place while we tightened everything up to help maintain the clearances we needed.

The completed system from front to rear.

The completed system rear to front.

All finished and ready for the Dyno!

These are the style band clamps that were purchased at the local auto parts store.

A total gain of 36.39 Horse Power and 31.19 Torque

Oversteering
XS Power
www.oversteeringonline.com
Jonathan Ojczyk
ojczykj@mail.gvsu.edu
810-841-6565

Radical Racing
687 Jackson Road
Atco, NJ 08004-1232
(856) 753-7117

Cornell's Auto Body
224 Buffalo Avenue
Egg Harbor City, NJ 08215-1924
(609) 965-5322

SEE VIDEOS BELOW............................................. ...................................SEE VIDEOS BELOW

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because a soldier stands ready to do
violence on their behalf.

Last edited by SOPMOD; 01-23-2011 at 07:22 AM.
SOPMOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:30 AM   #2
greenmachinedriver

Drives: white 2010 ss and 2011 6.2 silvy
im thinking about this kit too. how loud is it? hows the drone?
greenmachinedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
SOPMOD
El Presidente (SJCC)

Loud & Drone

Check out the videos above, the links are at bottom of post.
I guess it depends on what you consider what loud is? I personally think it sounds good.
It is not any louder than my Stainless Works cat back system on my car.
It really wakes up when you stomp on it.

The XS Power system has a small amount of drone around 1,800 RPM's.
I can guarantee BillySpeed would not trade the system for any other system in the same price range. Especially since he got his system for $777.00, and even at the current price it is still an awesome deal.

If your looking for a complete header system upgrade then I would give XS Power some serious consideration. Do some price shopping and look around the forum for HP comparisons. I don’t think you can go wrong with the XS Power system for the money and it does sound vicious……………

If you are worried about loud or a small amount of drone why would you change the factory exhaust in the first place? I know I am not interested in driving a stealth Camaro.
I want to hear my Camaro that was the point of changing the exhaust but that’s me.

Hopefully the info above helps you?

SOPMOD…OUT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachinedriver View Post
I'm thinking about this kit too. how loud is it? hows the drone?

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because a soldier stands ready to do

Last edited by SOPMOD; 01-23-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
USNSCPO
Gearhead

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Bingo! Great write up. Your results were just like mine... Helluva great buy...replace the crap clamps, or weld. Those cheapo clamps will actually cause leaks, eh?

I did not have to dimple the header. Great document!
Old 01-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
I changed out the exhaust clamps and used grade 8 stuff on the collectors. No problems at all after doing all that. I drove the car about 1K with the rubbing issue and then dimpled it. I repainted the steering shaft with touch up paint. Can't even tell it now.

It took me less than an hour to drop the header, dimple it, and put everything back together. It was done by myself in my garage on jackstands. Just an FYI for those who need to dimple if you already have the headers on.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
Sounds great, it's the fitment issues that worry me.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
SOPMOD
El Presidente (SJCC)

Only Fitment issue was the dimple on the drivers side header.
In our case it barely touched the steering shaft. We opted to do the dimple just incase it rubbed under torque of the engine.
Guess it depends on how you look at it, to me stopping to take five minutes to do the dimple is not a big deal.

SOPMOD...OUT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5thgen View Post
Sounds great, it's the fitment issues that worry me.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #8
motorhed

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM,2000 Grand Cherokee
I agree. I can see where he's coming from though. Should it fit perfectly to begin with...yeah probably. In the grand scheme of things, creating a dimple is worth the $1000 i just saved. Like SOPMOD stated in his review, huge gains to be made and the sound is awesome. IMO - This exhaust system is the best HP gain/cost i think I've seen for the Camaro yet. $23/hp gain isn't too shabby at all (w/o tune).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOPMOD View Post
Only Fitment issue was the dimple on the drivers side header.
In our case it barely touched the steering shaft. We opted to do the dimple just incase it rubbed under torque of the engine.
Guess it depends on how you look at it, to me stopping to take five minutes to do the dimple is not a big deal.

SOPMOD...OUT!

7/23/2010 - 1100
8/18/2010 - Born on Date 2G1FT1EW1B9120590
9/3/2010 - Pick Up
-----------------------------
| Photos |

Last edited by motorhed; 01-25-2011 at 10:51 PM. Reason: typo
motorhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
ask4yah

Drives: 2010camaro1ssrs
I did finally install my exhaust system... I didnt have to dimple the header because theres about 3/16" clearance from the steering shaft and I think that is good enough (hope the engine doesnt move that much). It sounded though that I had a leak coming from underneath the car so I covered both exhaust tips with cloth and Ive seen the leakage and the clamps seem to be the culprit. I was wondering where I can buy the band clamps that were mentioned earlier in the post and do I have to replace all of it? or just the ones with a leak? Any part number on the clamp? Thanks
ask4yah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #10
SOPMOD
El Presidente (SJCC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask4yah View Post
I did finally install my exhaust system... I didnt have to dimple the header because theres about 3/16" clearance from the steering shaft and I think that is good enough (hope the engine doesnt move that much). It sounded though that I had a leak coming from underneath the car so I covered both exhaust tips with cloth and Ive seen the leakage and the clamps seem to be the culprit. I was wondering where I can buy the band clamps that were mentioned earlier in the post and do I have to replace all of it? or just the ones with a leak? Any part number on the clamp? Thanks
We used band clamps on all, six total.

You could also just upgrade the bolts in your exsisting clamps to Grade 8 bolts.
Your choice?

Here are a few links:

Auto Zone:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...uestid=1363533

E-Bay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Band-...item5d2be03fc3

NAPA has them:
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Res...%7cKeyword&N=0

SOPMOD...OUT!

Old 02-05-2011, 12:05 AM   #11
ask4yah

Drives: 2010camaro1ssrs
Thanks sopmod, got them at pepboys and I installed it already.
ask4yah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:51 AM   #12
SOPMOD
El Presidente (SJCC)

Cool, glad it worked out for you!!

SOPMOD...OUT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask4yah View Post
Thanks sopmod, got them at pepboys and I installed it already.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #13
motorhed

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM,2000 Grand Cherokee
Quick question - i got "butt joint" band clamps rather than "lap joint" band clamps. Will that be a problem? It's still all grade 8 hardware.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-33278/

7/23/2010 - 1100
8/18/2010 - Born on Date 2G1FT1EW1B9120590
9/3/2010 - Pick Up
-----------------------------
| Photos |
motorhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #14
SOPMOD
El Presidente (SJCC)

I dont think it will be an issue as long as you can compress the joints together.

SOPMOD...OUT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhed View Post
Quick question - i got "butt joint" band clamps rather than "lap joint" band clamps. Will that be a problem? It's still all grade 8 hardware.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-33278/