Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Timna

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Clanking noise

I took the car to the dealer for them to look at this noise. They are telling me it's normal and because of the "heavy duty parts"

It usually makes the sound when going 10mph or less in 1st or 2nd gear or when I shift quickly into any gear. It is pretty loud I can hear it over the radio, and the sound is similar to banging a couple wrenches together. It doesn't make the noise all the time which is odd, maybe 1 out of 10 take starts it will make it. Then when I think it's my imagination it will make it shifting into 4th.. I just want to see if I should believe the dealer or take back?

I tried to jack the car up to check it myself but my floor jack sits to high lol.. So I will have to wait till the weekend to check it out.

Thanks
Timna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
I think you are probably experiencing the noises associated with the driveline slop associated with the manual transmission. At slow speeds usually while navigating parking lots and such you will hear noises from the clutch etc. These cars will not shift like Hondas. The heavy duty transmissions have to handle much more torque and as a result they are quite noisy.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Were you able to duplicate the noise for the service tech?

What "heavy duty parts" are they referring to? I wouldn't consider much on this car heavy duty.

I've never heard driveline slip that sounded like wrenches banging.

I'd get a second opinion
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
Timna

I took it up to the service entrance, the salesman that sold me the car came out and someone from the service. I explained what it was doing and they didn't even listen they both said lots of people come in for that and it was due to the heavy duty parts. I told them both I could show them the noise but they both said no need, lots of corvettes and camaros come in and it's nothing.

The car drives fine but just doesn't seem like it should have that noise coming from it. I will take it to another dealer this week and see what they say.

Thanks
Old 11-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
Timna

Ok I just found this post, appears I am part of that club.. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278161
Old 11-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timna View Post
I took it up to the service entrance, the salesman that sold me the car came out and someone from the service. I explained what it was doing and they didn't even listen they both said lots of people come in for that and it was due to the heavy duty parts. I told them both I could show them the noise but they both said no need, lots of corvettes and camaros come in and it's nothing.

The car drives fine but just doesn't seem like it should have that noise coming from it. I will take it to another dealer this week and see what they say.

Thanks
If you have enough concern to take your car to the dealer for a noise and the service department won't even listen to it, it's time to find a new dealer.

You shouldn't have to diagnose issues via the web. They should have created a ticket and checked the car out.

And the thread you referenced, look at the 10th post!
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
I took the car to the dealer for them to look at this noise. They are telling me it's normal and because of the "heavy duty parts"

It usually makes the sound when going 10mph or less in 1st or 2nd gear or when I shift quickly into any gear. It is pretty loud I can hear it over the radio, and the sound is similar to banging a couple wrenches together. It doesn't make the noise all the time which is odd, maybe 1 out of 10 take starts it will make it. Then when I think it's my imagination it will make it shifting into 4th.. I just want to see if I should believe the dealer or take back?

I tried to jack the car up to check it myself but my floor jack sits to high lol.. So I will have to wait till the weekend to check it out.

Thanks
Timna,

Sincere apologies to hear about your vehicle concerns. Any frustration this creates is certainly understandable. While you're seeking community opinions and responses, I wanted to extend an offer of assistance if needed. Please message us privately for additional assistance in this case and I'd be more than willing to exhaust my options to potentially assist you.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
Timna

Thank you William, PM sent
Old 11-06-2013, 04:30 AM   #9
chipset35

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
IMHO, the manual transmission from inside the car sounds like a semi tractor trailer truck in 1st and 2nd gear.
In neutral at a stop it sounds like the clutch spinning because it stops when u press the clutch all the way down.
Yep, drive line SLOP made in MExico.
chipset35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #10
VOGGS-LS3-1LE
Angry by Nature

Drives: 13' Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP 1 of 76
Yup clunky in 1st and 2nd especially low rpm. My 02 z28 t56 was the same.

2013 CHEVROLET CAMARO 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP
1 OF 76
Roto Fab CAI
1LE BADGES
VOGGS-LS3-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #11
racerx1214

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Normal.

It t'aint a Beemer.
racerx1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Thank you William, PM sent
You're welcome,

I've sent you back a response and look forward to hearing from you.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #13
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
It's normal, especially what you're quick with the clutch.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:41 AM   #14
chipset35

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
The universal excuse of "Its a heavy Duty Part" was contrived by Service managers to blow off their customers.
It not only addresses the customers concern, but provides an explanation that makes them feel they have a superior product".
It is also called BSing...go to another dealer and tell this one why you left.
chipset35 is offline   Reply With Quote