Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
More-Gas

Drives: 2014 1SS 1LE
Back Wheel Spin

Sometimes when I'm out driving around I find a little puddle or gutter with water running though it across the street. After I get the tires wet I disable the traction control and floor it in 2nd or 3rd gear getting lots of wheel spin and exhaust noise. I noticed I need to make steering corrections to stay in my lane and keep the car straight.

Thinking the car should go straight with maybe a little drift, i get the back sliding both directions requiring lots of rapid steering correction. Is my alignment messed up or are you guys getting the same thing with wheel spin?

Last edited by More-Gas; 11-10-2014 at 08:05 PM.
More-Gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
Cward1379

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by More-Gas View Post
Sometimes when I'm out driving around I find a little puddle or gutter with water running though it across the street. After I get the tires wet I disable the traction control and floor it in 2nd or 3rd gear and getting lots of wheel spin and exhaust noise. I noticed I need to make lots of little steering corrections to stay in my lane and keep the car straight.

Thinking the car should go straight with maybe a little drift, i get the back sliding both directions requiring lots of rapid steering correction. Is my alignment messed up or are you guys getting the same thing with wheel spin?
Are you doing this on smooth/flat ground?
Cward1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
More-Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cward1379 View Post
Are you doing this on smooth/flat ground?
Yea, typically smooth or worn asphalt that's not too abrasive works. Slippery looking concrete works great too...
Old 11-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #4
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
I had the same happen to me, with traction control on, when I power shifted into 2nd on fresh 2 day old black asphalt, on a 2-lane one way, and almost went into the other lane hitting the car that challenged.

Dude smirked and thumbed up in his loss, and pure power of Sledge.

Immediate thought though was what you said. Quite disconcerting for me, considering I had full TC on!

I came from a 4WD V8, so I figured I was out of practice, but still, wow!
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:02 AM   #5
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
These cars have lots of power and torque. Tires need to be warm and care needs to be taken not to fishtail everywhere. Be safe and not like these guys ...

http://youtu.be/GwLZ8UvN4_g

-CRT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:27 AM   #6
elarson5757
Obsessed and Loving It...

Drives: 2013 1LE-SS
The wide front tires and suspension setup also cause the front end to follow even the slightest imperfections in the road. When the car is under torque it seems to be felt even more so than normal driving.
elarson5757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:16 AM   #7
thompstl1

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
Both rear tires may be spinning the same speed, but that does not mean they are getting equal traction. If the left tire gets more traction, the front of your car will twist to the right, and vice versa.
I'd think that would be especially true when you hit a patch of water, and the tires then spin on dry pavement. Lot of factors going on there that change traction levels quickly.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:22 AM   #8
Synner

Drives: cars
You intentionally seek out low traction areas and question why you can't get equal and quality traction in them?
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:24 AM   #9
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
You intentionally seek out low traction areas and question why you can't get equal and quality traction in them?
Exactly what i was thinking. 'I have a car with lots of torque and low gears and when im on wet pavement and floor it the tires spin. what the hell?'
Old 11-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #10
More-Gas

Quote:
Actually, trying to get some feedback from other owners on low traction take off. I drove around a CTS-V for a few days last summer and it was definitely more predictable with the back wheels spinning. Thinking maybe upgraded cradle bushings and trailing arm bushings could help keep the back in line.... not sure that's why I ask.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:58 AM   #11
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by More-Gas View Post
Actually, trying to get some feedback from other owners on low traction take off. I drove around a CTS-V for a few days last summer and it was definitely more predictable with the back wheels spinning. Thinking maybe upgraded cradle bushings and trailing arm bushings could help keep the back in line.... not sure that's why I ask.
You can make whatever changes you want, but you are never going to have a rear that stays directly behind the car if the tires are spinning hard. What I can not figure out is why this is a goal of yours. If they are spinning that hard, your first reaction should be to feather back on the throttle to try to gain some traction, unless you have just won a cup race and are putting on a show!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #12
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
What the OP is saying is that when pointed in a perfectly straight line, and you stomp on it in 2nd, (with traction control on), the rear swings like a pendulum, but this doesn't seem to be as pronounced on other types of Rear Wheel Drive cars, like the CTS-V he mentions.

He is probably trying to indirectly ask if the CTS traction control is more on the ball, of more advanced if you will.

I'm just guessing that's what his question is .

Of course, I may have misterpreted it.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #13
More-Gas

[QUOTE=CrystalRedTintcoat;8056831]These cars have lots of power and torque. Tires need to be warm and care needs to be taken not to fishtail everywhere. Be safe and not like these guys ...

http://youtu.be/GwLZ8UvN4_g

-CRT

YouTube has some funny stuff.

http://youtu.be/mFH39T0Z0WI
Old 11-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #14
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Yea, even with a line lock the 1LE will get a little sideways. Normal.

You do get some chassis deflection with the soft standard bushings. Replacing then with solid polys will help. Without them you get some side step-out. But this is not a bad in the 1LE as in the standard SS.