Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #15
zero

Drives: Black 2SS/RS LS3
Even the most die hard GM fans will give the boss 2 thumbs up.

Whats not to like about a NA motor that is a drivers race at the drag strip or race track.

I thought Shelby owners were the ones with their heads up their A$$
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #16
04svtsnke

Drives: '04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY1STCAMAR0 View Post
Well the 1LE beats the Boss so you can imagine what the ZL1 would do. Case closed.
Guess you haven't learned anything from all the hype and disappointment the zl1 was. Not saying its a bad car but it didn't meet it's anticipated hype. Id figure you'd give the 1LE a clean slate and not post something that's completely trivial at this point in time. As others have said there shouldn't be a thought comparing the boss to the zl1. Its direct competitor SHOULD be the E but we will see soon enough. Im very surprised OP didn't enjoy anything except the seats. I know you didn't want to start a war but your wording says otherwise....
04svtsnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #17
04svtsnke

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero View Post
Even the most die hard GM fans will give the boss 2 thumbs up.

Whats not to like about a NA motor that is a drivers race at the drag strip or race track.

I thought Shelby owners were the ones with their heads up their A$$
If this isn't a flaming thread to poop all over the boss then I don't know what is. Both cars are excellent for their intended purposes....although I've never heard of any heatsoak problems with the boss's so far .......sorry just had to grow a little jab
Old 07-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #18
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04svtsnke View Post
Guess you haven't learned anything from all the hype and disappointment the zl1 was. Not saying its a bad car but it didn't meet it's anticipated hype. Id figure you'd give the 1LE a clean slate and not post something that's completely trivial at this point in time. As others have said there shouldn't be a thought comparing the boss to the zl1. Its direct competitor SHOULD be the E but we will see soon enough. Im very surprised OP didn't enjoy anything except the seats. I know you didn't want to start a war but your wording says otherwise....
Even though you're obviously 100% Ford I can respect your opinions but what type of Kool Aid are they selling in Blue Oval county. How in the hell is the ZL1 a disappointment? We go backwards and forwards with this everyday. The GT500 is a drag strip monster and no one can deny that. How else is it better? There are plenty of cars that'll smoke a Gt500 on the track and strip so does that make it a disappointment....... Ummmmmm... NO. You guys have let the FACT that you have a better drag strip car go to your head. Everyday your bashing the ZL1 and then in the next sentence "but it's a beast of a car". Really dude? That makes no sense to me. Both cars have a specific purpose and perform their intended task very well for the money. BOTTOMLINE. Much respect to the teams behind both cars.........ZL1 a disappointment.....
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #19
04svtsnke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
Even though you're obviously 100% Ford I can respect your opinions but what type of Kool Aid are they selling in Blue Oval county. How in the hell is the ZL1 a disappointment? We go backwards and forwards with this everyday. The GT500 is a drag strip monster and no one can deny that. How else is it better? There are plenty of cars that'll smoke a Gt500 on the track and strip so does that make it a disappointment....... Ummmmmm... NO. You guys have let the FACT that you have a better drag strip car go to your head. Everyday your bashing the ZL1 and then in the next sentence "but it's a beast of a car". Really dude? That makes no sense to me. Both cars have a specific purpose and perform their intended task very well for the money. BOTTOMLINE. Much respect to the teams behind both cars.........ZL1 a disappointment.....
I guess I have to be a bit clearer. The zl1 is a great car. It does what it's intended to do.6-8 months ago there was so much hype over this car that people actually believed it would obliterate the gt500(10-12&13) in any form or fashion. For it to come out and not live up all the hype is all I'm saying. Disappointment is a strong word and should be taken loosely. I think a car down 82 hp and with a weight disadvantage can still stay in the ring with the gt500 speaks bounds of what the zl1 is. I've seen what these cars make when modded and it's very similar to what the gt500 does when modded. I am Ford but I'm honestly trying to keep bashing to a minimum and offer some retrospective in a debatable format for those that aren't fanboys and realize the facts vs opinions/lies. Sometimes I'll admit it's hard to control myself when someone post complete ignorance but it's just the ford in me. As I've said in many threads I'm just glad the pony wars are alive and kicking and if we could all find a way to talk about the plus and minuses of each car without it turning into a testosterone throwing, lie spewing grudge match I'd definitely be interested. I'll end by sayin I agree with you 100%, both ford and gm are doing a great job with coming out with great cars that provides us with entertainment that couldn't have been foreseen by the best years ago.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #20
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
I own a 2011 GT, and I love the Boss 302, and what it does for the price. However, if you don't need the rear seats, and want a dedicated track car, I would think that a base C6 would be a much better platform for a track car then the Boss 302LS. When they first came out, even the base 302 was in 1LT C6 territory, and that is a tough cookie for me to swallow. I'm not loyal to any brand, but if you put a C6 M6 next to a Boss, for the same price, there is no contest for me. You can run wider tires on the C6, it's 300lbs. lighter, has a better front and rear suspension, and a better power band. All a base C6 really needs for the track is better brake lines, higher temp fluid, and some stickier tires to get rid of those horrid run flats. Like I said, I LOVE the Boss, but I love me a Corvette much much more.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #21
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
I own a 2011 GT, and I love the Boss 302, and what it does for the price. However, if you don't need the rear seats, and want a dedicated track car, I would think that a base C6 would be a much better platform for a track car then the Boss 302LS. When they first came out, even the base 302 was in 1LT C6 territory, and that is a tough cookie for me to swallow. I'm not loyal to any brand, but if you put a C6 M6 next to a Boss, for the same price, there is no contest for me. You can run wider tires on the C6, it's 300lbs. lighter, has a better front and rear suspension, and a better power band. All a base C6 really needs for the track is better brake lines, higher temp fluid, and some stickier tires to get rid of those horrid run flats. Like I said, I LOVE the Boss, but I love me a Corvette much much more.
I'm with you. If I could it would be a Z06 for me. That car in all black is just...yummy!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #22
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:

Actually the direct competitor for the SS/1LE is the Mustang GT/Track Pack. Both are options on the base V8 cars. The Z28 will be the direct competitor for the Boss, as it's always been.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:42 AM   #23
04svtsnke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Actually the direct competitor for the SS/1LE is the Mustang GT/Track Pack. Both are options on the base V8 cars. The Z28 will be the direct competitor for the Boss, as it's always been.
When does that come out? Any specs? This does make a lot of sense IF it ever comes out.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:42 AM   #24
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I agree. Problem is, there is no Z28....and probably won't be till the next Gen Camaro comes out....
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:22 AM   #25
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
clarification

Quote:
I guess I have to be a bit clearer. The zl1 is a great car. It does what it's intended to do.6-8 months ago there was so much hype over this car that people actually believed it would obliterate the gt500(10-12&13) in any form or fashion. For it to come out and not live up all the hype is all I'm saying. Disappointment is a strong word and should be taken loosely. I think a car down 82 hp and with a weight disadvantage can still stay in the ring with the gt500 speaks bounds of what the zl1 is. I've seen what these cars make when modded and it's very similar to what the gt500 does when modded. I am Ford but I'm honestly trying to keep bashing to a minimum and offer some retrospective in a debatable format for those that aren't fanboys and realize the facts vs opinions/lies. Sometimes I'll admit it's hard to control myself when someone post complete ignorance but it's just the ford in me. As I've said in many threads I'm just glad the pony wars are alive and kicking and if we could all find a way to talk about the plus and minuses of each car without it turning into a testosterone throwing, lie spewing grudge match I'd definitely be interested. I'll end by sayin I agree with you 100%, both ford and gm are doing a great job with coming out with great cars that provides us with entertainment that couldn't have been foreseen by the best years ago.
Guys, like I mentioned in the first line, I'm not trying to start a war but to give you my honest opinion about my previous 2 choices of a new car. As background, I've only owned Fords since 2001 - a contour, a new focus and a used focus ST. I loved them and never had problems. I actually spoke with a Ford dealer to reserve a Boss but after test driving the ZL1 I threw that option out the window. So I don't think I'm biased, I don't care about the brand, just the car.

All I'm saying is that I was Not Impressed with the Boss. It's a little stiffer and quicker than the GT. It's Not Exciting compared to the ZL1. And again, I know they're not on the same level but they were the 2 cars on my prior short list. I would pick the ZL1 again with my eyes closed. The Ford's exhaust sound is 1/3 of the ZL1's sound volume, unless you probably open the side exhausts which is illegal on the street. As I'll probably go to the track 1-2 times/yr, that doesn't count for me. There really wasn't anything exciting for me in it, after driving teh ZL1. It was just another test drive, vs one more Blast in the ZL1.
That's all.

This is meant to help people pick between the 2, not to bash ford, which did a good job with the Boss but it's at a different level and obviously price. What I'm saying is the difference is TOTALLY worth it!
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #26
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
Guys, like I mentioned in the first line, I'm not trying to start a war but to give you my honest opinion about my previous 2 choices of a new car. As background, I've only owned Fords since 2001 - a contour, a new focus and a used focus ST. I loved them and never had problems. I actually spoke with a Ford dealer to reserve a Boss but after test driving the ZL1 I threw that option out the window. So I don't think I'm biased, I don't care about the brand, just the car.

All I'm saying is that I was Not Impressed with the Boss. It's a little stiffer and quicker than the GT. It's Not Exciting compared to the ZL1. And again, I know they're not on the same level but they were the 2 cars on my prior short list. I would pick the ZL1 again with my eyes closed. The Ford's exhaust sound is 1/3 of the ZL1's sound volume, unless you probably open the side exhausts which is illegal on the street. As I'll probably go to the track 1-2 times/yr, that doesn't count for me. There really wasn't anything exciting for me in it, after driving teh ZL1. It was just another test drive, vs one more Blast in the ZL1.
That's all.

This is meant to help people pick between the 2, not to bash ford, which did a good job with the Boss but it's at a different level and obviously price. What I'm saying is the difference is TOTALLY worth it!
OP unless I missed your post about it im curious to know why it was the Boss and not the GT500 that was on your short list being that it's more in line price and performance wise with the ZL1.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:38 AM   #27
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
exactly what I was wondering. That would be like me going to test drive a SS1LE, then test driving a GT500 saying the performance gap was so different.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #28
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
OP unless I missed your post about it im curious to know why it was the Boss and not the GT500 that was on your short list being that it's more in line price and performance wise with the ZL1.
I once had the same short list. Perhaps it is because there was (is) no Camaro equivalent to the Boss LS. To me the performance difference between the 2012 GT500 and 2012 Boss LS did not justify the price and the Boss represented my preferred configuration (lighter, NA engine, etc.).

dougshelbyengineering.com

www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering

www.instagram.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote