Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-11-2015, 12:52 PM   #15
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
Weight of the assembled front rotor.
Good Lord.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:54 PM   #16
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
They really need to make the rotors where you can run the 19" rims. There is not a good 20" tire available that compares to the Hoosier R6 in 19". I'm getting my racing brake iron rotors so hot I'm warping them with stock calipers and racing pads....

jessrayo,

I mentioned that to Alex the technician when I was there. I wanted to use these with a new set of 19" wheels and tires, and use the combo you are running. The biggest issue was the new caliper which is obviously larger than the stock calipers. I will shoot pictures next visit. It was strange to see the CTS-V caliper next to the race caliper, huge increase! It was hard enough to convince them to even change the color on the rotor hats! Don't hold your breath on getting this system on 19's.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:06 PM   #17
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
I'll stop thinking about ceramic brakes right about now...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2015, 10:25 PM   #18
GenF-GTS
Account Suspended

Drives: none
If they want to make money and sell lots of them they need to be a direct replacement for the stock rotor size. No need to change calipers.

Tell them that.
GenF-GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:17 PM   #19
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
jessrayo,

I mentioned that to Alex the technician when I was there. I wanted to use these with a new set of 19" wheels and tires, and use the combo you are running. The biggest issue was the new caliper which is obviously larger than the stock calipers. I will shoot pictures next visit. It was strange to see the CTS-V caliper next to the race caliper, huge increase! It was hard enough to convince them to even change the color on the rotor hats! Don't hold your breath on getting this system on 19's.
That is really too bad if you ask me. I have said it plenty of times before and I'll say it again, if you change to racing pads and fluid on the stock ZL1, the car will stop at the traction limitations of whatever tires you run all day long. This is extremely impressive because the increased stopping power of racing grade tires puts a ton of extra heat into the braking system. The only braking problems are very short rotor life due to heat cracking and even some rotor heat warpage and the calipers do get hot enough that the fluid needs to be changed more often do to some burning.

If you have to downgrade the tires, there is no advantage in running the lighter rotors because the stopping distances will actually increase. I guess it is possible that Hoosier or someone else will eventually make a larger 20" racing grade tire that will fit on a ZL1 so the braking potential could be used. But as far as I know today, my car can run faster laps with 19" Hoosiers and steel rotors than it could with 20" toyo R888's and carbon rotors. I think the toyos are the best available 20" tire. Haven't looked for a while maybe something new is out there.... But in my opinion, the only thing they are getting in a 20" system is a cosmetic change because those that actually try to go fast need a tire combo to match.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:57 PM   #20
ZL1-V

I'm not that concerned, I'll still enjoy the car with 20's or maybe 19's. Not trying to set any records anyway. Just need to reiterate that the kit has not been assembled yet to confirm that only 20" wheels can be used. I'm trying to clarify that you ran your car with 20" Toyo's and CF rotors and pads? What were the time differences between those and the steel rotors? How was the feeling of both?
Old 04-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #21
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
I'm not that concerned, I'll still enjoy the car with 20's or maybe 19's. Not trying to set any records anyway. Just need to reiterate that the kit has not been assembled yet to confirm that only 20" wheels can be used. I'm trying to clarify that you ran your car with 20" Toyo's and CF rotors and pads? What were the time differences between those and the steel rotors? How was the feeling of both?
I've run the car on 20" toyos and 19" hoosiers both with racing brake iron rotors. The car can corner and stop faster on the Hoosiers because the tires have more grip. Never with either tire did the iron rotor brake system ever fail to give 100% of the stopping power the tires could give. Basicially the antilock system is active with all braking at the limits, if the anti lock system is on then the only way you could stop faster is with more tire traction. In many other cars I have driven you can hardly get the ABS to come on at over 100mph because the brakes don't have the power to stop the inertia at the limitation of the tires. I'm fairly certain my ZL1 brake system could lock the tires at 200 mph. One time when I was getting strange ABS codes at the Texas mile I pulled the ABS fuse and locked up tires at over 170mph with surprising little pressure.

When you apply brake pressure the first thing the brakes have to do is slow the rotating mass of the wheels brakes and rotors.... then the tire bite stops the mass of the car. Reducing mass in the brake system will help the tires get into their grip limits sooner...that is not a problem with 6 piston calipers on the ZL1... when you put a racing pad under there it locks any tire you can fit under the car at will...

If you already have racing pads and fluid then Carbon brakes on the ZL1 should reduce stopping distances only by reducing mass. It would be nice to reduce the mass.... reducing mass is always good but the brakes are so good stock the only way to significantly improve the actual stopping distances is improving tire grip. The Z/28 can stop in less distance than the ZL1 mainly because the 19" Trofeo tires are better than the Goodyears.

I have never had Carbon brakes on my ZL1 but would still consider it to test longevity of the rotors. I'm a very big fan of Porterfield racing pads. I think they are a better cold pad than most "racing" pads and they are great hot. They can be driven on daily if you can stand some brake squeal when cold. The feel and stopping torque is phenomenal at any speed or temp.

Thanks for the post, I realize the product has not been released yet, but I would think that a company like racing brakes would be aware that people willing to spend over $10K on a brake upgrade are probably trying to make the car lap as fast as possible. With all the people I see running "track" tires to improve times, the brakes have to be able to work with the best tires if anyone is going to see any advantage from them. For now you have to be able to run "19s.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:28 PM   #22
ZL1-V

If I'm stuck using 20" wheels with the brake kit oh well. If you want to send them a 19" wheel and they'll adapt the kit to your car? I currently don't have one to send them. They will want to know if it's aftermarket or stock. Do you really think for one second I'm going to be any less happy once I get onto the track? I doubt I'll sit there and stress and be bummed about not having 19's on the car along with super sticky rubber. I will still have the ability to DD the car. I'm well aware of tires and stopping Jess, not my first car or first set of tires. Was into making my cars handle back in the late 70's, when parts were lowering springs, larger sway bars, and tires were it. No real wheel or tire choices.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #23
Team STILLEN

Drives: Varies
We've had a Carbon Ceramic Upgrade Kit available for the GTR for the last 5 years and have been distributing these kits all over the world. This works with the Factory GTR Calipers.

Name:  Nissan GTR Carbon Ceramic.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  14.9 KB

We have talked about doing this for the ZL1 but we launched our AP Radi-CAL kit for it not too long ago and have had some great results.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404271

JT
Team STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #24
NW Sam

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Garnet Red
Would the Z/28 brakes bolt on the our ZL1? Just curios.
NW Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #25
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Sam View Post
Would the Z/28 brakes bolt on the our ZL1? Just curios.
They should, but the price is exorbitant and they will say Z/28 so you would probably want to add a cost to have them refinished.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:12 PM   #26
ZL1-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
They should, but the price is exorbitant and they will say Z/28 so you would probably want to add a cost to have them refinished.

I did the prices the other day. The Z/28 kit is around 9K. Then factor in sandblasting and powder coating the calipers again either metal finish or red,yellow, or black, and add tax. I'm guessing about 10K?
Old 04-14-2015, 06:26 PM   #27
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
I did the prices the other day. The Z/28 kit is around 9K. Then factor in sandblasting and powder coating the calipers again either metal finish or red,yellow, or black, and add tax. I'm guessing about 10K?
Interesting, You can put the Z/28 parts on and run 19's for less than a racing brake 20" only kit?.... I haven't actually looked at the side profile of a GM carbon rotor but must admit that the Racing Brake piece looked super heavy duty.... I'll have to watch it and see. Maybe run the Z/28 brakes... I'm still having engine trouble.....

Old 04-14-2015, 07:01 PM   #28
ZL1-V

I have been told the specifications for the fronts have been finalized. Rotors are on the way. The GM rotors are known for problems with the ceramic mounting holes cracking when attaching the rotor hats. These rotors are 395x36mm front. The rears are 390x32mm. I believe that the Z/28 front is 380mm.

Last edited by ZL1-V; 04-15-2015 at 01:56 AM.