Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-19-2015, 04:38 PM   #15
nashstat

Drives: 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
If you don't have any pulsating while braking, I wouldn't resurface the rotors.

Maybe take some sandpaper to the rotors to buff them up a bit, then MAKE SURE TO BED IN THE PADS PROPERLY.

40mph BRAKE HARD to 5mph. It's important to NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP DURING THIS! Right away back up to 40, then down to 5, then again. Then take the speed up to 55 and down to 5 three times. Then drive nicely - as little braking as safely possible for about 15 minutes at highway speeds to let everything cool.
Will do. Thanks so much for your help!
nashstat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:47 PM   #16
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
A lot of people are recommending for you to not resurface the rotors. Not trying to start an argument here, but why not? I wont claim to know it all, I am just saying that his brakes lasted 35k miles, that's better than a lot. So its fair to say, in my opinion, that he will most likely get good life out of them even if he resurfaces them. That and it will be even harder for him, or a tech, to properly bed the pads in. That means hes going to be driving around on a soft pedal for a long time.

My rotors only lasted me till my first brake job. If he was replacing pads after say 10k miles I would totally agree, but those rotors most likely have some pretty good grooves in them, plus he is riding on the feelers, so there bound to have small scoring in them. My opinion, and that's all it is, is that its worth it for him to resurface them.

As stated if you have warped/pulsating rotors don't even bother turning them, just replace them, but if not then your in good shape. You can definitely make it a week, if the noise from the feelers gets worse, that just means your grinding more material from your rotors and if you do plan on not turning them, will want to get it in sooner. While your at it and doing the brakes, it would be a good idea for you to flush your brake lines and get some clean fluid to the calipers.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:46 PM   #17
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
A lot of people are recommending for you to not resurface the rotors. Not trying to start an argument here, but why not? I wont claim to know it all, I am just saying that his brakes lasted 35k miles, that's better than a lot. So its fair to say, in my opinion, that he will most likely get good life out of them even if he resurfaces them. That and it will be even harder for him, or a tech, to properly bed the pads in. That means hes going to be driving around on a soft pedal for a long time.

My rotors only lasted me till my first brake job. If he was replacing pads after say 10k miles I would totally agree, but those rotors most likely have some pretty good grooves in them, plus he is riding on the feelers, so there bound to have small scoring in them. My opinion, and that's all it is, is that its worth it for him to resurface them.

As stated if you have warped/pulsating rotors don't even bother turning them, just replace them, but if not then your in good shape. You can definitely make it a week, if the noise from the feelers gets worse, that just means your grinding more material from your rotors and if you do plan on not turning them, will want to get it in sooner. While your at it and doing the brakes, it would be a good idea for you to flush your brake lines and get some clean fluid to the calipers.
I've had 3 different pads on my rotors and they've never been re-surfaced. I just clean them good with brake cleaner and follow the bedding procedure.

If they're scored then I agree I probably would re-surface them. However, if they aren't scored or anything and aren't warped, then you'll get longer life by not machining them. However, I think your probably right and for a daily driver he should still expect some good life from the rotors even if he does. It's really more a preference thing in the end I suppose.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:38 AM   #18
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Hence the fingernail test . . .

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:36 PM   #19
nashstat

Drives: 2SS Camaro
Thanks again for all your responses. Tomorrow is the day. Still no sounds coming from the breaks, just the usual light squeal that is very well known among st us Camaro owners... Have had that since I got the car.

I did the fingernail test and did feel a few rough patches, but nothing too concerning, not nearly enough the replace the rotors.

I have quite a bit of rotors left, more than half to be honest... So I think I might just
get them re-surfaced since I barely drive this car and don't want to go to the shop again in case the brakes don't feel right.
nashstat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #20
LadyT_SS
Christina

Drives: Red Jewel Tint 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashstat View Post
Thanks everyone! I ordered the OEM pads from Amazon/GMPartsDirect along with the caliper bolts. Should be all done by next Thursday!

I appreciate you guys' responses on this.
part number for caliper bolts?
LadyT_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:39 PM   #21
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyT_SS View Post
part number for caliper bolts?
11570788 front
11515781 rear

You'll need 4 each.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote