Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
car is making a noise

i have recently noticed my car will make a noise at idle. it doesn't happen all the time. i drove for about 30 mins today and only happen after a hard acceleration then i came to a idle and hear a few ding or click like noises. then after normal driving i don't hear at idle at stop lights. also i heard it one time when reversing. i think the noise is either coming from front or middle of the car. my mods are cam + supporting mods.

thanks for any help.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
sounds kinda like excess fuel in the exhaust and/or exhaust cooling down from being heated higher than normal during your hard acceleration popping and cracking.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
Lifters
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
mikeSS

thanks for the info guys, i am no expert this really helps. you think GM would cover me on lifters ? i would be going to a mod friendly dealership. is it safe to drive this to dealership or shop if the lifters are bad ?
Old 08-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
thanks for the info guys, i am no expert this really helps. you think GM would cover me on lifters ? i would be going to a mod friendly dealership. is it safe to drive this to dealership or shop if the lifters are bad ?
with the cam? most likely not.

but... you wont know till you ask.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 08-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #6
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
with the cam? most likely not.

but... you wont know till you ask.
well if thats the case i would be better off replacing it with better lifters. you think its ok to drive the car ?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:57 AM   #7
mikeSS

i was listening to bad lifters on youtube, and its not making that "clicking" type noise. its more of a ping or clink type noise. i feel like its coming from the headers. the noise kind of sounds like what a car does when its turned off. and it starts to makes those weird noises to cold off or something.

ok heres what it sounds like, listen from 3:35-3:45 on this vid. but this car is off. my car will do this when its on.

Quote:
sounds kinda like excess fuel in the exhaust and/or exhaust cooling down from being heated higher than normal during your hard acceleration popping and cracking.
i also recently got a re-tune, and they changed a few things. hopefully this is the case.

Last edited by mikeSS; 08-14-2011 at 01:44 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:39 AM   #8
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
i was listening to bad lifters on youtube, and its not making that "clicking" type noise. its more of a ping or clink type noise. i feel like its coming from the headers. the noise kind of sounds like what a car does when its turned off. and it starts to makes those weird noises to cold off or something.

ok heres what it sounds like, listen from 3:35-3:45 on this vid. but this car is off. my car will do this when its on.

i also recently got a re-tune, and they changed a few things. hopefully this is the case.
its not lifters, its just the exhaust cooling off and pinging. damn near every car I've ever driven does that, modded or not

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 08-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #9
mikeSS

Quote:
its not lifters, its just the exhaust cooling off and pinging. damn near every car I've ever driven does that, modded or not
ok see why i was worried was because the car was on when it happen. i am use to car being off when a hear a noise like this.

thanks again for the help.