Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Guzaku

Drives: Black 2011 2LT/RS
A lot to ask. But, can anyone suggest?

A full Infinity, JBL, Harmon setup or mix? I know its asking a lot but I get a discount and dont know much about car audio :(

Im working off of just the stock Base system and plan on changing out everything and adding two subs?

So anyone got a few tips?
Thanks in advance!
Guzaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
CrutchfieldBrooke

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
No reason that you can't go with of mix of the brands if that is how you get the best deal. I'd atleast try to go with the same brand for the speakers inside the car, but if you go with something else for the amp(s) or sub, it'll still work out good.
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
CrutchfieldBrooke

Oh, and if your question is more geared towards which of the three to go with, I suggest looking at the Infinity Kappa line.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Harmon doesn't make aftermarket car stuff (as far as I know). The Kappa series is nice, but JBL makes even better stuff. Do you have a price range you are looking at?

The JBL MS series and GTO series are very nice. The Infinity Kappa series kinda fits between the GTO (low) and MS (high). They are both very nice brands.

The MS and GTO line of JBL amps is very nice as well.

I love putting systems together, If you gave us a budget (you could inflate it based on whatever your discount is), we could help you out a little more.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
Guzaku

$1500 would be the most I would like to spend and yeah def not opposed to looking into other brands I don't even have to go with any of those brands just was trying to get a cheap setup! If you have suggestions of other brands just let me know i'd love to take a look and get a setup going!
Old 07-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrutchfieldBrooke View Post
Oh, and if your question is more geared towards which of the three to go with, I suggest looking at the Infinity Kappa line.
After my first set of Infinity Kappa 10" subs, I've only used that brand. Outperformed my buddy's dual 12" setup that he had.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #7
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzaku View Post
$1500 would be the most I would like to spend and yeah def not opposed to looking into other brands I don't even have to go with any of those brands just was trying to get a cheap setup! If you have suggestions of other brands just let me know i'd love to take a look and get a setup going!
JBL and Infinity are both very good brands in the car stereo market. I really believe that JBL is one of the ultimate sleeper brands in car audio. it's like everyone has heard of JBL, but very few use them. They are fantastic. These are SonicElectronix.com prices, so you may get better with your discount.

JBL System:
2 x JBL GTO1214 12" subs - $100 ea.
1 x JBL GTO7001 700W amp - $220
1 x JBL GTO608C 6.5" component set (2 ohms) - $100
1 x JBL GTO928 6x9's (2 ohms) - $130
1 x JBL GTO-504EZ 4 channel amp - $200
1 x ******** dual 12" speaker box - $180 (est.)
total - $1030 (you're going to need some dynamat, speaker adapters, wire, and some connectors, blocks, etc.)

Infinity Reference system:
2 x Infinity Reference 1260W 12" subs - $75 ea.
1 x Infinity Reference 1600A 600W amp - $170
1 x Infinity Reference 6030cs 6.5" component set - $140
1 x Infinity Reference 9632cf 6x9's - $100
1 x Infinity Reference 475a 4 channel amp - $180
total - $920 (you're going to need some dynamat, speaker adapters, wire, and some connectors, blocks, etc.)

Infinity KAPPA system:
2 x Infinity Kappa 120.9W - $150 ea.
1 x Infinity KAPPA ONE 800W amp - $270
1 x Infinity Kappa 60.9cs 6.5" component set - $200
1 x Infinity Kappa 692.9I 6x9's - $120
1 x Infinity KAPPA FOUR 4 channel amp - $300
total - $1370 (you're going to need some dynamat, speaker adapters, wire, and some connectors, blocks, etc.)

Since I don't know if that $1500 figure included the dynamat, speaker adapters, wire, and connectors, blocks, etc., I will make this further recommendation. Get a JBL MS-8. If you can find a way to fit it into any of these systems, you will be blown away by what it can achieve. You could honestly use it in place of the 4 channel amp in the first setup (it can provide 30W x 8 @ 2 ohm). I have a MS-8 in my system, and I'm currently having a very hard time convincing myself that I want to even try this RF 3Sixty.3 I have. The MS-8 is on SonicElectronix for $500, but I got a refurbished unit for $400. It was like new, and worth every penny.

The MS-8 is a system integration processor. It can do some incredible stuff.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
Old 07-14-2012, 05:25 AM   #8
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrider01 View Post
Harmon doesn't make aftermarket car stuff (as far as I know). The Kappa series is nice, but JBL makes even better stuff. Do you have a price range you are looking at?

The JBL MS series and GTO series are very nice. The Infinity Kappa series kinda fits between the GTO (low) and MS (high). They are both very nice brands.

The MS and GTO line of JBL amps is very nice as well.

I love putting systems together, If you gave us a budget (you could inflate it based on whatever your discount is), we could help you out a little more.
JBL and Infinity are actually both Harman brands. Harman Kardon is the only brand I use for my home theater recievers.

JBL makes the MS-8 sound processor which is hard to beat. I will be adding one to my car system soon. I've heard good and bad about Infinity. It comes down to what you like and have success with. If I got a good discount on a major brand like JBL, which is considered a mid level brand, I would give it a shot and build from there. Then it's a matter of how good you think it performs and how much you are willing to spend to make it better.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #9
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
Jbl is sick.

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #10
Guzaku

Darkrider you are incredible!!

After comparing prices there really isn't much of a difference I might get like 10% off of this price. I gave the $1,500 price range in hopes if the discounted price dropping it quite a bit. So most likely I would get the JBL GTO setup and possibly getting the MS-8 with it. Or would you suggest something else around the 1k area? or would you stick with the JBL? Im not really looking for an insane system but would like it to sound better then stock and have a bit of good bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrider01 View Post
JBL and Infinity are both very good brands in the car stereo market. I really believe that JBL is one of the ultimate sleeper brands in car audio. it's like everyone has heard of JBL, but very few use them. They are fantastic. These are SonicElectronix.com prices, so you may get better with your discount.

JBL System:
2 x JBL GTO1214 12" subs - $100 ea.
1 x JBL GTO7001 700W amp - $220
1 x JBL GTO608C 6.5" component set (2 ohms) - $100
1 x JBL GTO928 6x9's (2 ohms) - $130
1 x JBL GTO-504EZ 4 channel amp - $200
total - $1030 (you're going to need some dynamat, speaker adapters, wire, and some connectors, blocks, etc.)

Infinity Reference system:
2 x Infinity Reference 1260W 12" subs - $75 ea.
1 x Infinity Reference 1600A 600W amp - $170
1 x Infinity Reference 6030cs 6.5" component set - $140
1 x Infinity Reference 9632cf 6x9's - $100
1 x Infinity Reference 475a 4 channel amp - $180
total - $920 (you're going to need some dynamat, speaker adapters, wire, and some connectors, blocks, etc.)

Infinity KAPPA system:
2 x Infinity Kappa 120.9W - $150 ea.
1 x Infinity KAPPA ONE 800W amp - $270
1 x Infinity Kappa 60.9cs 6.5" component set - $200
1 x Infinity Kappa 692.9I 6x9's - $120
1 x Infinity KAPPA FOUR 4 channel amp - $300
total - $1370 (you're going to need some dynamat, speaker adapters, wire, and some connectors, blocks, etc.)

Since I don't know if that $1500 figure included the dynamat, speaker adapters, wire, and connectors, blocks, etc., I will make this further recommendation. Get a JBL MS-8. If you can find a way to fit it into any of these systems, you will be blown away by what it can achieve. You could honestly use it in place of the 4 channel amp in the first setup (it can provide 30W x 8 @ 2 ohm). I have a MS-8 in my system, and I'm currently having a very hard time convincing myself that I want to even try this RF 3Sixty.3 I have. The MS-8 is on SonicElectronix for $500, but I got a refurbished unit for $400. It was like new, and worth every penny.

The MS-8 is a system integration processor. It can do some incredible stuff.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
CrutchfieldBrooke

Nice work Darkrider! Guzaku, I personally like the Infinity Kappa and the JBL system that he put together. I think you'd be happy with either of the two and they will be a huge improvement over the stock system.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #12
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzaku View Post
Darkrider you are incredible!!

After comparing prices there really isn't much of a difference I might get like 10% off of this price. I gave the $1,500 price range in hopes if the discounted price dropping it quite a bit. So most likely I would get the JBL GTO setup and possibly getting the MS-8 with it. Or would you suggest something else around the 1k area? or would you stick with the JBL? Im not really looking for an insane system but would like it to sound better then stock and have a bit of good bass
I honestly in my heart believe that the JBL GTO system with a MS-8 would blow you away. The greatest thing about the MS-8 (IMO) is how well the auto-tune works. It honestly only takes 5 minutes to run the auto-tune. It may take you 10 minutes the first time, but that's only because you have to read the manual. It probably took me 12 because I had my wife do the passenger seat too.

My dad took a ride with me recently and I was playing some Phil Collins for him. I was playing it pretty loud because he wanted me to blast it for him (he says Mom won't let him "jam out"). After listening to In the Air Tonight the first time (he wanted a few encores... ), he looked at me said "This is incredible. It's like the music is coming from inside my head!". It was a proud moment for me. He wears hearing aids, so his hearing may not be the best in the world, but I agree with him.

I way over did it when I did my system. I originally felt like the factory system had no bass, so I started with my sub and amp. Sadly, the sub was just way too much for everything else. So then I figured that I needed to bring everything else up to the sub. So I bought all new speakers and my 4 channel amp, and a 7-band EQ. I set the factory radio to all 0's and started adjusting the EQ. Couldn't get it to sound right at all. I was pretty sad. So then I decided to go for broke and replace the head unit. While looking at head units, I had read a lot about the MS-8 so I decided to grab that too. I was trying to decide between the Pioneer DEX-P99RS ($1200 CD-player - maybe one of the best ever made) and the Pioneer AVH-P8400BH. I wanted the dual 31 band EQ's and crazy features of the P99RS, but I wanted the screen and backup camera of the P8400BH. I mulled it over for quite some time, but as I read more reviews about the MS-8, I decided that the MS-8 and P8400BH would probably get me close enough to the P99RS features and I could have a backup camera (God knows I need it in this car).

I am very, very happy with my decision on the MS-8. I may still replace it with this Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3 I have sitting here in the box, but I am kinda intimidated of trying to tune the 3Sixty.3 myself. I probably won't uninstall the MS-8 until I'm 100% sure it's at least as-good-as the MS-8.

Are you planning on installing this stuff yourself, or having a shop do it? If you do it yourself, I'd be happy to give you my number to help with setting up the MS-8. I read countless pages on several sound forums about crossover settings, etc, so I can at least tell you what I use and you could try them out. Also, sorry for the ridiculously long post.

Last edited by darkrider01; 07-16-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: wrong model number
Old 07-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #13
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Darkrider, you're making the MS8 sound pretty good. So if I already have a system that is around 2800 watts RMS, Alpine PDX amps, Alpine Type R 12" subs, focal KRX2 speakers and some decent Polk 6x9s, still using the Boston head, I'm going to be blown away by the difference it makes with the MS8? I hope so, it sounds pretty good now, just can't get the tune with the limited Boston head. Can't wait. Think i'm going to order in the next couple weeks. Still have a lttle sound deadening to finish.

Gazoka, not rying to steal your thread. JBL has been around a long time, it should give you a decent system to build to later if you want more. Actually the only negative i've heard actually came from people that think what they like is the best and hell with the rest.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:29 AM   #14
Guzaku

Nah steal away! Im loving all the feedback!