Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you still want Z28?
I'll take Z28 over ZL1 any day! 85 32.69%
Nah - ZL1 suits me just fine 132 50.77%
I'll wait for Z28 until the 6th Generation comes out 43 16.54%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2011, 02:55 PM   #15
91Z28350

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP 2010 Traverse LTZ
I think the Z28 is best served on the lighter Alpha platform; it really seems that GM is using '69 as a strategy for placement of these names. If they are attempting to stay true to the heritage of the Camaro, then the Z28 should be a lighter weight, road course tuned, corner carver, with enough oomph to give the SS all it can handle, if not outright smoke it. Therefore, I see it as being above the SS in price, with an almost sports car focus (as opposed to the SS which is an all around good performer at a good price point). Ford, IMO, targeted the Boss exactly right, I "Have Faith" that Chevrolet will as well.

Oh and for the poll, after the ZL1, barring some even more unbelievable Super Camaro, it's future stablemate will be a Corvette (unless the the Z28 is uber awesome, then I reserve the right to waffle! )
91Z28350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #16
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Z28350 View Post
I think the Z28 is best served on the lighter Alpha platform; it really seems that GM is using '69 as a strategy for placement of these names. If they are attempting to stay true to the heritage of the Camaro, then the Z28 should be a lighter weight, road course tuned, corner carver, with enough oomph to give the SS all it can handle, if not outright smoke it. Therefore, I see it as being above the SS in price, with an almost sports car focus (as opposed to the SS which is an all around good performer at a good price point). Ford, IMO, targeted the Boss exactly right, I "Have Faith" that Chevrolet will as well.

Oh and for the poll, after the ZL1, barring some even more unbelievable Super Camaro, it's future stablemate will be a Corvette (unless the the Z28 is uber awesome, then I reserve the right to waffle! )
Very good post.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #17
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The name means nothing to me. I don't car if they called it cougar or thunderbird. If it still looks like and has the performance that this new ZL/1 has, I would buy one.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:23 PM   #18
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
GM is listening. I can't say they're listening here, but the encourage Twitter comments and I've read there are members here, that we don't even know about being on Team CAMARO. We already know of an obvious few , but one just doesn't really know who they're talking to nowadays.

Be heard! Say something! Be helpful and constructive! They won't build it unless you ask for it enough!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #19
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Radz, like you and few others I was a little disappointed that they did not name the new car Z28, but like Dragoneye I have gotten over it and can live with the name ZL1 very easily. At least they did not name it HPE! I truly believe that the Z28 will be built but my best guess is that they will wait for the new chassis. I think the ZL1 will be built until the new Alpha chassis Camaro is released and then it will be dropped in favor of the 5.5 DI Z28. Now, considering that I have been wrong the majority of the time with my guesses on this forum, you might be wise not to put a lot of weight on what I say. But on the other hand I am bound to be right at least once in my life, it just might not be this time.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #20
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Radz, like you and few others I was a little disappointed that they did not name the new car Z28, but like Dragoneye I have gotten over it and can live with the name ZL1 very easily. At least they did not name it HPE! I truly believe that the Z28 will be built but my best guess is that they will wait for the new chassis. I think the ZL1 will be built until the new Alpha chassis Camaro is released and then it will be dropped in favor of the 5.5 DI Z28. Now, considering that I have been wrong the majority of the time with my guesses on this forum, you might be wise not to put a lot of weight on what I say. But on the other hand I am bound to be right at least once in my life, it just might not be this time.
Yeah - I'm over it, like you guys; I'm very much in support of ZL1 now. It makes a lot more sense after the intial shock shakes off. Though I never thought they'd give it that awful name, you just never know; ZL1 is a perfect example, for me; I never took it that seriously. I was right on LSA, the brakes, MR, and some other goodies, but am so pleased I can't even express with the additional stuff. I couldn't be more pleased unless we learn the price is just right.

You may be right on the new chassis though. Because I believe (only through internet conjecture) the 6th Gen will come around 2015, I just don't think it's good for GM to wait that long. I don't think they'll run 5th and 6th Gen models side-by-side, so I'm thinking we'll see it sooner. I think it'd be super-easy to adjust the shocks, springs and swaybars on ZL1 for a lighter Gen IV 6.2, add some power (a bit bigger cam, EPS, tubular manifolds, dual-mode exhaust, etc.), lose some content (thinner glass, less sound deadening, no back seat, optional lighter Recaros, etc.) to lower the mass, and run a different aero' package (Leno features) and SSX wheels, and we have a WINNER. Obviously, validation and all that good stuff takes time, but the Boss has been introduced for a while, so I don't think it'd take long to shift from ZL1 completion (probably through the summer into fall) and get into Z28 the second quarter of 2012. I don't think it's a good idea to wait for a couple more years, but I'm not sure it could happen that fast.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #21
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
GM is listening. I can't say they're listening here, but the encourage Twitter comments and I've read there are members here, that we don't even know about being on Team CAMARO. We already know of an obvious few , but one just doesn't really know who they're talking to nowadays.

Be heard! Say something! Be helpful and constructive! They won't build it unless you ask for it enough!
I'm pretty sure seeing and listening in on this forum...especially this forum. I've been on the other forum and do not see 1/4 of ZL1 info on there

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #22
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I don't care what they call them. As long as it's a Camaro and it's Bad@$$ I'll be happy.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #23
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
I voted ZL1 works suites me just fine, but not because I don't wish to see the Z/28 coming out soon. In my opinion it will be out and GM is holding all the cards. The ZL1 will be the perfect match for the GT500 and stomp it. As i said in a earlier post if they make a 5th gen Z/28 it should have the 5.3L engine with a hot hot cam better flowing heads maybe some headers (get around 450 hp out of it NA) shave 500 lbs with carbon fiber where ever they can. Recaro seats would be a plus. It should fit in between the SS and the ZL1. I love the ZL1 wheels and the Z/28 should have its own wheels too maybe the SSX wheels. I want to be selfish too and be able to say to the mustang crowd, "bring me your best we have one better"
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:19 PM   #24
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Basically, I think the Z28 should be the most powerful Camaro without a supercharger,
that can be produced. They have to be able to be enjoyed on the road, and compete at the track, with
AUTOMATIC & MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS AVAILABLE...PERIOD, END OF STORY!

PLEASE BRING BACK THE Z28 NAMEPLATE!

Last edited by SQUALO; 02-15-2011 at 04:29 PM.
SQUALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #25
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
You know, I've been thinking......they did extensive aerodynamic and handling modifications to the Camaro when they created the ZL1....

While I like to entertain the thought that there will be a Z28 produced.....I can't help but look at the ZL1 as a Camaro with all the handling prowess we're looking for in a Z28...and then they went and added a metric crap-ton of power on top...

I wonder (this is PURELY speculation)....

What if the ZL1 can out-handle a Boss? Would anybody feel the need for a Z28 competitor for reasons other than to see the name return?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #26
Unique Auto Depot

Drives: Camaro 2010
I don't care what they call it as long as I get more POWER !!!!!!!!! I'm all in LOL
Unique Auto Depot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #27
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
You know, I've been thinking......they did extensive aerodynamic and handling modifications to the Camaro when they created the ZL1....

While I like to entertain the thought that there will be a Z28 produced.....I can't help but look at the ZL1 as a Camaro with all the handling prowess we're looking for in a Z28...and then they went and added a metric crap-ton of power on top...

I wonder (this is PURELY speculation)....

What if the ZL1 can out-handle a Boss? Would anybody feel the need for a Z28 competitor for reasons other than to see the name return?

The main reason a Z28 would be brought into production is Grand Am. Grand Am has rules and cars like the Boss 302, M3 and maybe someday the Z28 are built specifically for that task. Sure the GT500 and ZL1s can run a road course faster than the Boss and Z28 will... for a couple of laps, then heat soak, non-racing pads and just overall endurance will wear the brutes out. Hell, even fuel will become an issue eventually... I'm not sure the ZL1 or the GT500 can "out-handle" the RR's, generating Gs and braking would most likely go to the lighter cars but exits would be easier with the large amount out torque the S/Cs provide.

I view the SCCA/NASA and Grand Am spec'd cars as thoroughbreds, put on this planet for one reason, to push the envelope. If Grand Am wouldn't set the rules then the richest man would win and everybody would drive GT500's and ZL1s. The new Boss was built from Multimatics Grand Am Boss 302R that ran every race last year, the GT500 was tested on a closed track... behind a curtain... to do showroom battle as a Halo car... and thats what the ZL1 is... The ZL1 will never be road raced...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #28
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
The ZL1 will never be road raced...
???? *raised eyebrows*

Maybe not in competition.....but then neither will any factory car these days. Even the CTS-V had significant bodywork done to meet series-specs.

ZL1 should be most competent on a Road Course....moreso than many might thing. But I'm going to take a bit of my own advise and stop there until we know what the numbers are for sure.

EDIT: I just realized this underlies the whole reason I want a ZL1....competition road-race-ready cars are of no interest to me where purchase is concerned. I'll stop before I stick my foot in my mouth...

The theoretical question still stands...if a ZL1 out-handle the Boss and out-perform the GT500...would anybody still really want another Camaro variant?