Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 12-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #43
Chevyg1rl

Drives: Chevys
Great thread! I've been trying to decide what tiles to get for a couple of years.

Race Deck = Made In the USA I'll be getting this product
Old 12-08-2010, 05:46 PM   #44
emlo3

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black M6
Completely disagree with two part epoxy being crap. I acid etched my garage in a house that the concrete was 12 years old. Applied two part epoxy industrial paint. Garage looks amazing 10 years later with cars going in and out almost everyday. Easy to clean easy to mop, the water squeegees rite off as well. There are some very nice epoxys out there some better then others. I used Griots, my brother used some industrial brand with excellent results. Its all in the prep and the paint you select.
emlo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #45
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRockCGM View Post
Racedeck and love it - they have specials several times a year and you can get it at a pretty decent price.

Here ya go (Ignore SSR - gone!):

SSR Replacement but notice I was able to match the tiles!:

Looking back at wall:
:l aughabove:
WOW , YOUR GARAGE IS WAY CLEANER THEN MY KID'S BEDROM FLOOR !!!!
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #46
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
I use a piece of plywood under my jack if I use a jack. Most of time I use my raceramps with no problems at all. When I had the camaro on jack stands I made a 12x12 inch piece of plywood to sit under the stands since they have very sharp edges.
Exactly why I used industrial epoxy. I'm big on function and easy cleanup. I use the shop regularly for repairs on my fleet and custom project I have from time to time. If I was looking for light duty use and storing my cars, the tiles would be the way to go for sure. I think it comes down to your needs.
Huck1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #47
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by emlo3 View Post
Completely disagree with two part epoxy being crap. I acid etched my garage in a house that the concrete was 12 years old. Applied two part epoxy industrial paint. Garage looks amazing 10 years later with cars going in and out almost everyday. Easy to clean easy to mop, the water squeegees rite off as well. There are some very nice epoxys out there some better then others. I used Griots, my brother used some industrial brand with excellent results. Its all in the prep and the paint you select.

+1

you can have the industrial stuff tinted to your desired color at the paint store. You have to make sure it rests for the same amount of time each batch you blend so the color stays the same. I noticed using it prematurely changes things a bit.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #48
2SS BUMBLBE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS/L99
Love Gladiator GarageWorks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
I had RaceDeck in my last garage. I liked the way it looked and it held up pretty well. My only complaint about it was the noise it made when I walked across it (plastic on concrete). The nice part of it was that it didn't trap moisture underneath it, like the roll out vinyl flooring will.

I've got about 700+ sq. ft. of it in storage that's going back down in a garage as soon as we close on the sale of our current home.

Here's a picture of the old garage.

2SS BUMBLBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #49
gary bee

Drives: 2010 camaro ss/rs IOM
after applying the epoxy it didn't really smell,plus i do all kinds of stuff on it and just mop it out when done
Old 12-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #50
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
I did the epoxy paint with blue and black flakes last year, it was rustoleums kit from lowes.....one year later its peeling up in places....i clean the floor all the time and i dont have a clue why its coming up....I do live in new england and the only thing i can think of is the road salt from the winter eating the paint.

Anyone know if you can just repaint over your existing floor??

I want to do the tiles but that costs some pretty good coin to do. my garage is 25x25.

For those of you with the "Good" epoxy, where did you get the high quality stuff???
Old 12-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #51
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC-SS View Post
I did the epoxy paint with blue and black flakes last year, it was rustoleums kit from lowes.....one year later its peeling up in places....i clean the floor all the time and i dont have a clue why its coming up....I do live in new england and the only thing i can think of is the road salt from the winter eating the paint.

Anyone know if you can just repaint over your existing floor??

I want to do the tiles but that costs some pretty good coin to do. my garage is 25x25.

For those of you with the "Good" epoxy, where did you get the high quality stuff???
The oils in the floor or moisture missed during your original install caused the problem. You can go over it again up until a certain time period that it has been down. Refer to the manufacturer for that info as I have only used the industrial stuff used by utility companies etc. If the areas that peeled are not properly prepped, I can assure you it will happen again. If your floor has been down for too long, you have to start from scratch. Meticulous prep is the key although it is very time consuming.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #52
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck1974 View Post
The oils in the floor or moisture missed during your original install caused the problem. You can go over it again up until a certain time period that it has been down. Refer to the manufacturer for that info as I have only used the industrial stuff used by utility companies etc. If the areas that peeled are not properly prepped, I can assure you it will happen again. If your floor has been down for too long, you have to start from scratch. Meticulous prep is the key although it is very time consuming.
Yea...i spent a whole day with oil stain remover then the etching 3 times. then dryed...and the whole process took me a week. I was pissed when it came up....but my concrete floor is 30 years old so i dont know
Old 12-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #53
kjd15
Finally!!

Drives: '10 2LT Summit white, '68 Camaro
Carpet.
kjd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #54
camaro52010
Camaro4ever

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS, 1978 Z28 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC-SS View Post
Yea...i spent a whole day with oil stain remover then the etching 3 times. then dryed...and the whole process took me a week. I was pissed when it came up....but my concrete floor is 30 years old so i dont know
I talked with Sherwin Williams about the 2 part epoxy. It is intended for pristine, newly poured and cured concrete. Older floors with stains and oil, all bets are off. If you degrease and etch the p*ss outta it you got a chance of the stuff adhering, some people here have had luck. The Mfg. said it is not recommended for old floors with stains and oil spots.

Last edited by camaro52010; 12-10-2010 at 09:15 AM.
camaro52010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #55
camaro52010
Camaro4ever

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS, 1978 Z28 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyg1rl View Post
Great thread! I've been trying to decide what tiles to get for a couple of years.

Race Deck = Made In the USA I'll be getting this product
Look at these: http://www.rubberflooringinc.com/gar...ond-plate.html Description - The diamond plate design is one of the best floor tile patterns available and our most popular pattern for use as a garage flooring. It not only has tough appearance for use in heavy duty commercial / industrial / work shop settings, it also provides for a non slip surface in case the flooring is spilled on and/or gets wet by water, oil, or other liquids. Cutting of these tiles to custom fit them to your room can be easily done with a fresh utility knife and straight edge like a yard stick or ruler. Material – Constructed entirely of a proprietary and durable blend of flexible PVC. This blend ensures that the tiles are flexible and have the anti fatigue qualities similar to rubber flooring but also the durability, long life, and chemical resistance associated with polyvinyl chloride.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #56
Buffnshine
So Cal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '06 HHR, '70 El Camino
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRockCGM View Post
Racedeck and love it - they have specials several times a year and you can get it at a pretty decent price.

Here ya go (Ignore SSR - gone!):

SSR Replacement but notice I was able to match the tiles!:

Looking back at wall:
Nice Garage, sorry to see the SSR go, Im looking for one. Was going to buy one when I found my SS, so looking again
TEAM L99 - So Cal Camaro5 Race Team #27
9/5/09 Purchased #36962 Black 1SS/RS L99 "E-TCKT" Base Dyno 328hp/341tq @BBK meet
Mods to Date: Window Tint 5% & 15%, ACC P13W Lighting, Adaptive DRL Harness, Ghost Armor, Lloyds "SS" Mats, Dash Plaque, Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust, Drake Front Bowtie Delete, Stealth 3457 Chrome/Mirror Signal Bulbs, Grant Revolutions Steering Wheel, PFADT Sport Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Trailing Arms, 4 Wheel Alignment, Hurst Auto Shifter and Paddle Shifter, Satin Black Rear Tail Light Bezels
Buffnshine is offline   Reply With Quote