Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #1037
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Wow, really....one fast lap...then brakes cooking so bad it can be smelled from the pits....yup, I'd hang my hat on that quote from MT....... Yesiree Bob, give me that pitcher from the bullpen who can throw a fastball 95 mph one time, then who serve's up 85 mph BP on a T after that, that's the recipe for success....LOL...
Old 06-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #1038
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
subscribed...

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #1039
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
It seems pretty clear that people just want to argue back and forth.

It doesn't seem to matter WHO does the testing under WHAT conditions or WHERE or WHEN they are done.

People always seem to be able to find some fault with the testing if the testing doesn't declare their favorite car the winner.

Now they're even questioning the age of the reviewers.?

Because one source only reported a single lap time for each, some believe that they must have only run a single lap in each? Please...

Some people prefer the GM, some the Ford, and no matter what gets reported by whom or in what publication, they opinions will never change.

If the results don't support thier favorite car, then the testing must be bias, faulty, or some kind of conspiracy by someone.
Exactly.............
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #1040
Van@RevanRacing
Account Suspended

Drives: GM and Ford
Met Erik and Paul from Torq today at Homestead. I also went out with Erik for a session in the passenger seat. They battled heat soak all day. The MRC is impressive on turn in.
Van@RevanRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #1041
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
You guys should make your own new thread for this one. I'd subscribe to it.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #1042
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
You guys should make your own new thread for this one. I'd subscribe to it.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #1043
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
how much do you think it would cost to upgrade the brakes on the gt500 to zl1 class?? how much to upgrade the horsepower on the zl1 to gt500 class?
How much more is an equivalently equipped gt500 vs. ZL1 (TP and PP)? About $5k.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:49 AM   #1044
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
how much more is the base zl1 vs the base gt500? let's not forget gas guzzler tax.
Right, but to compete at the track, the gt500 no doubt needs the TP and PP which now cost over $5k vs. the comparably equipped ZL1. With an extra $5k, an 82hp advantage, and more than 200lbs less, it still barely keeps up or loses to the ZL1 on the track. Now that is saying something! Ford has built an awesome machine, and no doubt would be a blast to drive, but they have reached thier limits. The ZL1 seems to be just a little more awesome based on 4 out of 4 mags. I know it is a tuff pill to swallow, just get a bigger glass of water.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:14 AM   #1045
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
Right, but to compete at the track, the gt500 no doubt needs the TP and PP which now cost over $5k vs. the comparably equipped ZL1. With an extra $5k, an 82hp advantage, and more than 200lbs less, it still barely keeps up or loses to the ZL1 on the track. Now that is saying something! Ford has built an awesome machine, and no doubt would be a blast to drive, but they have reached thier limits. The ZL1 seems to be just a little more awesome based on 4 out of 4 mags. I know it is a tuff pill to swallow, just get a bigger glass of water.
Very true that the base gt500 won't keep up on track with the zl1, but there is no stock package to overcome the massive straight line acceleration difference between zl1 and GT500. If one ONLY cares about track performance, neither of these cars are remotely close to ideal. Both cars have advantages and disadvantages while doing everything damn well.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:46 AM   #1046
Topher3134

Drives: delete me
Quote:
how much do you think it would cost to upgrade the brakes on the gt500 to zl1 class?? how much to upgrade the horsepower on the zl1 to gt500 class?
I bet with pads and fluid u would be close.

Maybe some dryer hose

Last edited by Topher3134; 07-01-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Topher3134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:22 AM   #1047
PistonsFan

Drives: 08 CTS
Quote:
I agree neither one of these cars is really a track car. They're muscle cars. Seems like everyone wants to forget that. They are meant to be fast in a straight line. Get a gtr or a z06 if you want a track car.

From wikipedia:

Muscle car is a term used to refer to a variety of high-performance automobiles.[1] The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines muscle cars as "any of a group of American-made 2-door sports coupes with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving."[2] A large V8 engine is fitted in a 2-door, rear wheel drive, family-style mid-size or full-size car designed for four or more passengers. Sold at an affordable price, muscle cars are intended for mainly street use and occasional drag racing.[3][4][5][6] They are distinct from two-seat sports cars and expensive 2+2 GTs intended for high-speed touring and road racing. Developed simultaneously in their own markets, muscle cars also emerged from manufacturers in Australia, South Africa, the United Kingdom, and elsewhere.
Yeah, shame on GM for giving us anything but straight line performance.
PistonsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #1048
Long Carbine
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Wow, really....one fast lap...then brakes cooking so bad it can be smelled from the pits....yup, I'd hang my hat on that quote from MT....... Yesiree Bob, give me that pitcher from the bullpen who can throw a fastball 95 mph one time, then who serve's up 85 mph BP on a T after that, that's the recipe for success....LOL...
The brake pads are nothing to replace and are made for street driving.

Since one in 1000 will see a road course, I'd rather have pads that last more than 10k miles like the pads on the ZL1.

I'd be curious how much camber GM put in the tires to get a little more handling. Betting owners will wear out tires on the inside to the belts in less than 10k miles. If I were you, I would be looking at it.
Long Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #1049
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
I don't get the whine about the brake pads.. Have many of you even driven on track compound pads much, if ever? I have and I hated it.. every minute of it... They're awesome once at operating temps and on the track where they're intended.. but, I'd rather have performance street pads on the rest of the time..

and.... I'd recommend that you not race heavily on tracks w/o upgrading your pads or you're going to hit a wall -- especially on a few of the more demanding NA tracks.

Pads are one of the easiest things to deal with for track use.. Much easier than heat soak, forged engines, light weight race wheel/tire combinations, upgraded drive line bits, etc.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #1050
evolve

Drives: 03 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
I don't get the whine about the brake pads.. Have many of you even driven on track compound pads much, if ever? I have and I hated it.. every minute of it... They're awesome once at operating temps and on the track where they're intended.. but, I'd rather have performance street pads on the rest of the time..

and.... I'd recommend that you not race heavily on tracks w/o upgrading your pads or you're going to hit a wall -- especially on a few of the more demanding NA tracks.

Pads are one of the easiest things to deal with for track use.. Much easier than heat soak, forged engines, light weight race wheel/tire combinations, upgraded drive line bits, etc.
Great points
evolve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inside line article, video, zl1 vs 2013 gt500, zl1 vs gt500