Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 01-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
JRT

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Expensive tunes on the Camaro?

Does anyone else feel like all of these vendors are overcharging for mail order tunes on the Camaro? I remember on my Mustang the tunes were a little more affordable, 3 tunes for between $75-150 depending on what ya got. With the Camaro they are $200-400 for a single tune.

I know some of these guys have put a lot of work into making quality tunes for many parts, but they have already done the leg work and just making copies of the tune files. It's almost like painting a portrait and then taking a picture of it and selling many copies for top dollar.

I don't know...gotta pay to play I guess, but it just seems aggravating.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #2
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Are you talking about a local tuner, or an email tune?
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
benjj

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE
to my understanding, a local tuner will charge you 400-500 the first time because they are charging you for a license of the software used. first time i got dinged for $500 but after adding a couple parts i used the same guy and only got charged like $75, i think. can't speak for mail order tunes tho as i have no experience with them
benjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #4
JRT

No I am talking about email tunes. Dyno tunes are different because they spend the time to dyno each car that is being tuned.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #5
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRT View Post
No I am talking about email tunes. Dyno tunes are different because they spend the time to dyno each car that is being tuned.
I think Tampa Tuning does them for $150 which is about on par with the last platform I was associated with and this ECM has a lot more parameters available.
What device are you planning on using to upload a tune?

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Camaro Corvette GTO CTS G8 Firebird Truck performance tuner in Tampa Orlando

Thanks SS.
That is correct. I do Mail Order tunes for $150.00, but you need a quality tuning platform like HP Tuners for me to convert your calibration.
Thanks
Phil
www.TampaTuning.com
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
Alvin@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 IOM RSS
We do $150 email tunes via Hptuners which we also sell. It's nice using Hptuners because we email logs and tunes back and forth until the tune is the best it can be. We've even done remote dynotuning by using a piece of software that lets us remotely control your computer.
Alvin@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
The Blue Ox

Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
Talking

IMO JRT, They are fairly reasonable and in some instances have gone down! I had my Chevy truck tuned about 5 yrs ago and it was 250! It is now 200 according to their website! He plugged his computer up to my truck and took it for a ride to monitor and adjust it . He was gone 30 mins at most! I payed him 250 and I was on my way! 250 for 30 or 45 mins does seem kinda high but man does my truck run good! Still continues till this day to run excellent!
I am taking my Camaro to him within the next few weeks! He charges 300 for it ! Engine and Tranny! IMO, fairly reasonable to make it run like a bat outa hell!!
The Blue Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
JRT

Awesome..thanks for the heads up fellas!
Old 01-08-2013, 04:15 AM   #10
quincy speeder

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
The way I see it is people pay $30k+ for a car and have no problem paying $200-$400 for a cold air. Is $200 for a mail tune really expensive?
I've learned in the past to always have my cars tuned in person by a good tuner. Always worth it.

2008 C6, 427ci,YSI,mcleod clutch,Alky control, built tranny, custom fuel system. 985rwhp, best 1/4 -9.4 at 152mph. still trying to get the shifting down:(
quincy speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Does anyone else feel like all of these vendors are overcharging for mail order tunes on the Camaro? I remember on my Mustang the tunes were a little more affordable, 3 tunes for between $75-150 depending on what ya got. With the Camaro they are $200-400 for a single tune.

I know some of these guys have put a lot of work into making quality tunes for many parts, but they have already done the leg work and just making copies of the tune files. It's almost like painting a portrait and then taking a picture of it and selling many copies for top dollar.

I don't know...gotta pay to play I guess, but it just seems aggravating.
I will try and help explain, I do Mustang Mail order Custom tuning and know the Market very well

SCT Supplied all of the dealers with What is Called Value Files that can be applied to any Ford tune file.

You can select Aftermarket Parts Value files that match plus different Octane base tunes.

So the Dealer Opens up your Box code, then selects a Base Octane tune 87-91-93 then selects Value File for BBK cold air kit or what ever, Maybe Headers, and gears, and sends the file without ever looking at any of the 1000s of tables in the tune.

Because Ford Computers and calibrations are all compatible, Hard to explain.

You got what you paid for, a Mail order Canned tune.

SCT Does Not Supply Value Files for GM because the Computers are totally different from car to car and calibration to calibration so Generic Value Files Do not work.

I Take it to the Next Level, I Write Every Tune from Scratch for your particular set up then go through the Calibration to make sure everything is where I want it to be for Optimum Performance before I push the send button.

You can also Log and report, I will check the Logs and double check everything, this is Truely a Custom Tune done over Email but Not a Traditional Email Tune.

With today's technology It is NO different then Me sitting in your Car and tuning it Live.

I have Remote Tuned Nearly 1300 Gen5 Camaros alone never mind all the 1000s Corvettes, CTSV, Trucks, other GM Platforms, I also Tune Fords, Chrysler, an all Aftermarket Tuning solutions.

Purchase an SCT X3 or iTSX from me and the First Tune for CAI and Cat back is FREE.

Purchase your future Performance Parts from JRE and Custom Tuning for those Parts is FREE.

There is No combination too difficult for Me.

Ted.

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 01-08-2013 at 09:20 AM.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #12
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
"You get what you pay for" - did you know you can buy spoiled or rotten food at a significant discount.....sorry, but also getting very aggravated regarding all these "cheap" penny pincher posts.

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #13
JRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I will try and help explain,
SNIPPED

Ted.
Ted,
Thanks a bunch for explanation, that does help me understand some.

I will be hitting up once I get the rest of my mods. I am happy with what the canned SCT tune has done for the car, I am sure your tune will be that much better!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Ted,
Thanks a bunch for explanation, that does help me understand some.

I will be hitting up once I get the rest of my mods. I am happy with what the canned SCT tune has done for the car, I am sure your tune will be that much better!
The SCT Octane tunes are great for stock cars, but does not account for any Mods.

Thank you for considering JRE.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote