Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #29
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
On behalf of everyone at "Team Camaro" and Oshawa Assembly - Thank you for choosing Camaro - we hope you'll suffer many years of "Perma-Grin" -- and we hope your new Camaro will be the best car you've ever owned.......
THAT'S till he get the Z ONE , right ?
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #30
Lightningquick

Drives: 2016 Hyper blue 2 SS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYCAN View Post
I, too chose between the 2SS and a GT500. I drove the GT500 first out on the Interstate and then some twisties. To be honest I wasn't dazzled with it. The GT500 had incredible power, sounded incredible, and had GPS. But, every time I stepped on the gas the car would go sideways in a violent fury. That was fun the first couple of times, and then I went to pass someone on a short straight stretch and it wasn't too funny. That supercharger kicks hard. Granted the roads were a little cold, and any car is going to have problems hooking up---to a degree. The GT500 was a monster. The untrained would get themselves into massive amounts of trouble on back roads with a solid axle and that much HP. Loss of control would be easy. When I drove the Camaro it was much tighter and less intense. I liked the ride of the 2SS on the twisties immediatelly. I drove the GT500 and the 2SS on the same stretch of road back to back.

I was actually lusting after the GT500 because I formerly owned a Cobra and liked the Mustangs. Plus the GT500 has a big street presence and attitude. I just didn't like how careful I had to be with the throttle. On the back twisties it was a bit large feeling and a little nose heavy. The 2SS was large as well, but it felt tighter. It was clear that the GT500 had much more power on tap. But that power wasn't being put to the ground very well. It was all wheel spin. Either way you can't go wrong, it just depends on what you want from the car. As a drag car I would pick the GT500 hands down. For a DD the Camaro was my first choice within 5 minutes of driving.
AINT THAT THE TRUTH!!!
As a previous owner of a gt 500,i can assure you it is a death trap on the street.mine was at about 650hp and was NOT a good street car more it was a drag car.on the street i could NOT hook up anywhere!!
awesome power though.

the camaro has much better styling and im sure is not as brutal to drive
Lightningquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #31
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Congrats!
I have to say though that had u driven a 2011 Gt500 with the SvT perf package, u would have found the camaro lacking in handling and performance in comparison. I know. I like the Camaro for touring, the GT500 for everything else. You can't really compare the two. The camaro compares to the 2011 Mustang 5.0. Both awesome cars IMO.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #32
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Stock camaro in the twisties... Too funny.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #33
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Drives: pontiac
I drove both the V6/V8 2011 Mustangs and Camaros but settled on the V6 manual Camaro. If I had decided on the V8 I may have gone with the Mustang. I liked the way the V8GT felt more than the SS, but in the V6 I liked the way the camaro felt but the Mustang 6 was definatly faster. It comes down to preference, I like both and both are respectable rides with history and heritage. The only reason I didnt go with v8 is because 80 percent of my driving is local and in traffic. If I leaved in a more open area where I can open them up I would have gone V8. The V6 Camaro feels like a great highway cruiser with just enough power to have some fun when you want, especially if you got the stick.
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #34
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Drives: pontiac
Oh yeah, and I forgot to add...the Camaro looks better. The Camaro in my opinion is the most Brute-tiful car on the road right now.
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #35
DyerCamaro
Tom, Jen and Atlas

Drives: 2011 IOM 1SS/RS
this is the place to meet everyone and anyone who loves their camaro. welcome. you made the right choice and if you have any questions this is where you'll find answers. i still smile every time i walk into my garage.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #36
SuperFly03

Drives: 2010 Kona Blue GT500
Gt500 = Untamed raw animal
Camaro = Safer, more controlled hellion.

GT500 is the kid who abides by 0 rules and just goes balls to the wall, Camaro is the kid who pushes things just far enough w/o winding up in a ditch upside down and dead.

Owned Both... and I love the GT500. I love it's raw unrefined prowess. You dump that shit in 4th and you and still kick the rear out in a straight line. It's freaking scary... and that's what I love about it.

Try playing with it in the rain and traction control off... now THAT is just wreckless

You've been Thread Jacked by SF03!
Current Car: 2010 Kona Blue Shelby GT500 M6
Previous Car:
2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Two Back: 2007 Black Shelby GT500 M6
SuperFly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #37
LYCAN
Tattooed K9

Drives: E63AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
Congrats!
I have to say though that had u driven a 2011 Gt500 with the SvT perf package, u would have found the camaro lacking in handling and performance in comparison. I know. I like the Camaro for touring, the GT500 for everything else. You can't really compare the two. The camaro compares to the 2011 Mustang 5.0. Both awesome cars IMO.
I haven't driven the 2011 GT500, but for $20K more than the 2011 2SS it better do something better than smoke rear tires:-) There are a couple used 2011 GT500s in my area going for $53K. Guess somebody bought Superman and sold him pretty quick. Nice looking rides...wow.

I agree the 5.0 and the SS are more direct comparissons. The GT500 is the "overclocked" version of the 5.0 for rich old guys to talk about "what if's" over beers in the driveway. If I lived near the Autobaun I'd be all over one. But here in Maryland the GT500 is all dressed up with no place to go:-) Same could be said for the SS:-)
Prior Project Cars: 96 WS6, 96 Steeda Cobra, 93/74/99/01ZO6 Vettes, Supra Turbo, and BMW M3.
LYCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:29 AM   #38
Dalton22

Drives: 2011 VR 2SS/RS M6. 2000 lifted Z71

first photo of me and my car, i took delivery today from lone star chevrolet in Houston

Everytime I get in it, I feel I made the right choice; I am a diehard chevy owner. Coming from a lifted Z71 too now a SS. My Dad's first car was a 69' camaro and I grew up in a Chevy family that has been for generations. I couldn't settle for a mustang, even though I do have much respect for a Shelby and what Carroll Shelby does to mustangs.
Attached Images

Dalton22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:54 AM   #39
Dalton22

Drives: 2011 VR 2SS/RS M6. 2000 lifted Z71
Oh and I forgot to list some of the options I purchased with the car (all factory and/or dealer options):
Hurst shifter, quarter flares (splash guards), polished wheels, cargo mat, cargo net, upgraded floor mats, car cover, body color painted engine cover

At the time I was looking, I was looking for a specific car that had a hurst short throw, had to have polished wheels, VR w/ white stripes, 2SS/RS.
I ended up finding a car in Kansas exactly like I wanted and was actually going to drive it all the way back, but ended up figuring out that I wanted VR instead of IOM after seeing the two cars parked side by side. The car wasn't to far and I got pretty much exactly what I would have ordered and had to wait 6 to 8 weeks, and I found it on the lot.
The only exception was that the car had black stripes, I had the dealer take off the black stripes and put on the white also put on the quarter flares.
I'm also going to have my dealer clay bar and wax my car, because in the light you could see swirls all over the car which was from either a micro fiber cloth or terry towel I'm assuming.

CAMARO5 has been an extraordinary tool, with keeping up to date on the camaro. I have been checking the website daily for a couple of years now but never really went into the forums, I would just check the homepage to see all the new exciting things throughout it's concept and release. I would like to thank all the CAMARO5 staff and members for keeping me "up to date" on such an amazing car.
Dalton22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:04 AM   #40
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
LYCAN,
You hit the nail on the head. The Shelby is awesome in the power department. Before buying my 1SS I looked and drove an 08 with 5100 miles on it. Sure it was faster than the Camaro but the Camaro was an improvement in every other area. I just traded in a 04 Cobra and while I loved the power of that car I really was dissapointed in the ride, handling, comfort, and looks of it. Right now I am into my 1SS for 27K even if I slap a supercharger on to it I am up to 33k for a brand new supercharged SS that will show it's tailights to just about anything on the road in comfort.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #41
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 SS
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton22 View Post
Oh and I forgot to list some of the options I purchased with the car (all factory and/or dealer options):
Hurst shifter, quarter flares (splash guards), polished wheels, cargo mat, cargo net, upgraded floor mats, car cover, body color painted engine cover

At the time I was looking, I was looking for a specific car that had a hurst short throw, had to have polished wheels, VR w/ white stripes, 2SS/RS.
I ended up finding a car in Kansas exactly like I wanted and was actually going to drive it all the way back, but ended up figuring out that I wanted VR instead of IOM after seeing the two cars parked side by side. The car wasn't to far and I got pretty much exactly what I would have ordered and had to wait 6 to 8 weeks, and I found it on the lot.
The only exception was that the car had black stripes, I had the dealer take off the black stripes and put on the white also put on the quarter flares.
I'm also going to have my dealer clay bar and wax my car, because in the light you could see swirls all over the car which was from either a micro fiber cloth or terry towel I'm assuming.

CAMARO5 has been an extraordinary tool, with keeping up to date on the camaro. I have been checking the website daily for a couple of years now but never really went into the forums, I would just check the homepage to see all the new exciting things throughout it's concept and release. I would like to thank all the CAMARO5 staff and members for keeping me "up to date" on such an amazing car.

Nice photo and congratulations on your purchase. FYI... a wax won't take out those swirls and all. Get yourself a Porter Cable 7424 and get them out on your own so you know how to do it once it happens in the future. You won't burn through the paint with the Porter Cable.
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #42
Sleestack

Drives: '07 SRT8 SuperBee, '09 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly03 View Post
Gt500 = Untamed raw animal
Camaro = Safer, more controlled hellion.

GT500 is the kid who abides by 0 rules and just goes balls to the wall, Camaro is the kid who pushes things just far enough w/o winding up in a ditch upside down and dead.

Owned Both... and I love the GT500. I love it's raw unrefined prowess. You dump that shit in 4th and you and still kick the rear out in a straight line. It's freaking scary... and that's what I love about it.

Try playing with it in the rain and traction control off... now THAT is just wreckless
Ya, the GT500 is not designed to be a daily driver, so no surprise on the comments that "it is too violent" or "it scared the pee pee outta me" . It is designed to be that garage car that you never can outgrow the power.