Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #43
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBUMBLEBEE View Post
how do you put a 2011 manual LS into sport mode?
Manuals are always in sport mode... if you drive them that way.

Only the automatics have drive, and manual/sport mode.
cam62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #44
JKBUMBLEBEE
TEAM LLT ! NY5thGEN

Drives: 2011 3.6L V6 328HP Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam62 View Post
Manuals are always in sport mode... if you drive them that way.

Only the automatics have drive, and manual/sport mode.
thought so just wanted to make sure, thanks
Old 02-20-2012, 03:46 AM   #45
RCLapCar

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 HB/JB
Ok guys I've read the 2012 manual and did some research on the build and price site and here is what I've figured out.

First some stats:

1LS - manual only, axle ratio 3.27
2LS - auto only, axle ratio 2.92
1LT,2LT - either transmission, axle ratio 3.27

Now according to the manual all cars EXCEPT those with the 2.92 axle ratio (RPO code GW8) have tapshift available when switching to M (Manual Mode). In these cars you can use the up and down shift buttons to switch gears as you want. Holding up shift for 2 seconds returns to Sport mode. This is what we all have know since the very first car in 2009.

New for 2012 for cars with the 2.92 axle ratio (ie all 2LS cars only). Switching into M (Manual mode) puts the car into something called "Electronic Range Select". Basically what you can do in this mode is set the HIGHEST gear the car is allowed to go into. So if you use the buttons to select M4 the car will only go through the first 4 gears and will never use 5th or 6th. I believe the initial value that it picks will be the current gear the car is in when you switch to M. (So if you are standing still that would be 1st, if you are moving it would be whatever it's already in.) The car will shift on its own within the range you select. This means that ALL 2LS cars DO NOT HAVE REAL TAP SHIFT. You have ZERO control over the current gear the car will be in, you can only affect the maximum gear the car can go into.

This is all explained in pages 9-33 to 9-35 of the manual.

Last edited by RCLapCar; 02-20-2012 at 05:56 AM.
RCLapCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:26 AM   #46
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
There's a thread in the v6 forum that the 2012 LS does not have Sport mode.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #47
Scott 78

Drives: 2014 SIM SS 6M
Well that's just frustrating!
Scott 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #48
Nick0s

Drives: 2012 2LS
RCLapCar, thanks for your research, I now have "closure".
I wish the few dealers I talked to or and their service departments had a clue. This would've been an easy upsell in my case.
I was going for an absolute base model to customize it my way.
As it turns out, I got the new 2012 Secretly Castrated Edition.

I'm not sure if I want to invest in mods on this thing now. Maybe some deletes... like removing the fake paddle shifters, or erasing the numbers above 115 on speedometer gauge. :(
Nick0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #49
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
If you wanted a manual, should have gotten one. But admittedly - if you can't use tapshift in the 2LS, why would it come with paddle shifters?

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #50
patrick27md

Drives: 2012 2LS V6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLapCar View Post
Ok guys I've read the 2012 manual and did some research on the build and price site and here is what I've figured out.

First some stats:

Now according to the manual all cars EXCEPT those with the 2.92 axle ratio (RPO code GW8) have tapshift available when switching to M (Manual Mode). In these cars you can use the up and down shift buttons to switch gears as you want. Holding up shift for 2 seconds returns to Sport mode. This is what we all have know since the very first car in 2009.

New for 2012 for cars with the 2.92 axle ratio (ie all 2LS cars only). Switching into M (Manual mode) puts the car into something called "Electronic Range Select". Basically what you can do in this mode is set the HIGHEST gear the car is allowed to go into. So if you use the buttons to select M4 the car will only go through the first 4 gears and will never use 5th or 6th. I believe the initial value that it picks will be the current gear the car is in when you switch to M. (So if you are standing still that would be 1st, if you are moving it would be whatever it's already in.) The car will shift on its own within the range you select. This means that ALL 2LS cars DO NOT HAVE REAL TAP SHIFT. You have ZERO control over the current gear the car will be in, you can only affect the maximum gear the car can go into.

Thanks, this makes sense. My '12 2LS doesn't really switch gears when using the paddles. It will downshift earlier when downshifting the paddles but not when you hit them, same when upshifting. No sport mode either.
patrick27md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #51
bcwooten85

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2LS
When i put it in M mode it switches to whatever gear the car was in...I have noticed when I upshift to M6 it shifts gears like an auto, but holds the gear about 1000 rpms longer thus it feels more spirited...
Old 07-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #52
DJ UNKNOWN

Drives: 2011 Red Jewel RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0s View Post
RCLapCar, thanks for your research, I now have "closure".
I wish the few dealers I talked to or and their service departments had a clue. This would've been an easy upsell in my case.t
I was going for an absolute base model to customize it my way.
As it turns out, I got the new 2012 Secretly Castrated Edition.

I'm not sure if I want to invest in mods on this thing now. Maybe some deletes... like removing the fake paddle shifters, or erasing the numbers above 115 on speedometer gauge. :(
Man that sucks! I Hate that for you. I almost rushed into buying a LS because i didnt really know much about the different models/packages only to later find out that the LS is limited to 118mph. Glad I went with the RS. You have to do your research because these dealers literally know nothing about the cars they sell. You should have to be a C5 member for atleast a week before your allowed to purchase a Camaro, I bet that would of helped a few people out of buyers remorse...
DJ UNKNOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #53
Nick0s

Drives: 2012 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ UNKNOWN View Post
Man that sucks! I Hate that for you. I almost rushed into buying a LS because i didnt really know much about the different models/packages only to later find out that the LS is limited to 118mph. Glad I went with the RS. You have to do your research because these dealers literally know nothing about the cars they sell. You should have to be a C5 member for atleast a week before your allowed to purchase a Camaro, I bet that would of helped a few people out of buyers remorse...
I did rush. I needed a DD for some work miles and 2LS seemed like a good compromise. I knew about the lower gear ratio and speed limit and that was OK. I did lurk around here before purchase, but the only sport mode discussion was about 2010/2011 models at that time.
The LS option allowed me to save money for mods. For example, I could go for 3.55 gears and a tune, or concentrate on appearance for now. This is a fun alternative to paying more money up front for higher trim level.
It's just that no matter what I do now, I can't "mod" functional paddles back in.
Oh well, I still love the car. I'll mod it with vengeance now
Nick0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:36 PM   #54
Dante2673

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLapCar View Post

First some stats:

Thank you! I have been trying to figure out why my 2014 2LS wasn't working like the manual said it should. The manual does state that transmission code GW8 is excluded, but they don't tell you what trim level or even gear ratio corresponds to code GW8. You do have control over the gear that the car in in the sense that you can, from a stop, shift to manual and it will put you in M1 and you can select when you upshift to M2, M3, etc. as you accelerate. Thanks again for the info.
Dante2673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #55
Gimc323

Drives: 2013 camaro 2ls
2013 2ls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0s View Post
I have 2012 2LS and I can confirm OP's issue.

When in M, the car will display M1 and it won't upshift on its own unless paddles are used.

But then there's this... when not moving, you could hit the right paddle and dial up all the way to M6. Will the car struggle to run in 6th gear from that point on ? Hell no. It will just behave like auto, using gears 1 to 6.

To this day I'm not sure, in that mode it feels sportier but I'm a lousy driver and I haven't spent much time in it to tell the difference. Could anybody weigh in on this ? Is this poor man's sport mode for us 2LS owners ?
Yeah I have also done this on my 2ls and it does feel more aggressive while driving it on M6. It changes gears automatically but at a bit higher rpm. I've noticed it has a faster take off and it just feels more responsive. It drives faster for sure.
Gimc323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #56
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBUMBLEBEE View Post
how do you put a 2011 manual LS into sport mode?
1 - Step on the clutch.
2- Place the gear shift in 1.
3 - Step on the gas as you release the clutch.
4 - Stomp the living shit out of the gas, and don't forget to shift into 2 after you reach ~6,000 RPM, then repeat with gears 3 through 6.
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote