Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #57
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
supercharged; 19mpg on the highway
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #58
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave916 View Post
Yep normal. If i reset mine while im on the freeway im actually getting around 26. But between city and freeway it averages out about 20 unless i put it in sport mode!
My LLT v6 easily gets 31-34 MPG freeway resetting it like this.
Mileage gets better and better after it breaks in and you use top tier gas or
fuel injector cleaner every oil change.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #59
SlickP

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I am gettin 22 miles city/highway i live in chicago..
SlickP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #60
thepirate

Drives: 2013 2SS
getting about 11

Last edited by thepirate; 09-18-2012 at 11:55 AM.
thepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #61
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
80% highway? i get 25 avg with 40 city/60 highway. I get 30+ on the highway alone. 21 is low.

an intake definetely improved my mpg. at these gas prices these days ($4 a gal. around me) itll pay itself off.

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
Old 09-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #62
CSM088

Drives: 1981 Z28 // 2010 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I drive my car pretty hard but not every time I get behind the wheel. I'm not a complete tool. And I drive at about 60-65 for about 30 miles on the way to work and then come home thru mixed driving in city with the max speed being about 45 but usually 35-40. Think what you want but that's what my car gets. And on the open road it's getting about 26 or so. But around here traffic ruins that, so it's getting about 22-23.

And just to further my point, if I had got my camaro because it would help me make an ass of myself taking off from every light standing on the right pedal, then I would have just kept my mustangs. They were obnoxious as could easily break the tires loose at a light. But, eventually some of us grow up. I grew outta that phase years ago. All those tickets probably helped that lol.
And by furthering your point, you took the opportunity to throw in some more shots at other sports car owners for driving like tools and failing to ever grow up. I don't know how you can make comments like that and expect to come off as the "mature" one.

I have driven my car through a full tank of gas as lightly as I possibly could, skip-shifting, RPMs below 1750; just barely touching the gas. People are peeling out around me and throwing me looks I'm driving so conservatively during this time. Beside the fact that I still can't average anywhere near 22MPG, my opinion is that this is not how the car is meant to be driven. By running RPM's up to 2500, shifting through each gear, or whatever, you're not driving like an asshole, or a tool, you're just driving the car.
CSM088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #63
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSM088 View Post
And by furthering your point, you took the opportunity to throw in some more shots at other sports car owners for driving like tools and failing to ever grow up. I don't know how you can make comments like that and expect to come off as the "mature" one.

I have driven my car through a full tank of gas as lightly as I possibly could, skip-shifting, RPMs below 1750; just barely touching the gas. People are peeling out around me and throwing me looks I'm driving so conservatively during this time. Beside the fact that I still can't average anywhere near 22MPG, my opinion is that this is not how the car is meant to be driven. By running RPM's up to 2500, shifting through each gear, or whatever, you're not driving like an asshole, or a tool, you're just driving the car.
I'm not trying to be the mature one here. I'm 25. I'll be mature later. For now I'm just calling it like I see it.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #64
casvg5
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkloid View Post
I am getting like 20.5 mpg, I drive about 80% highway miles. 1LT with auto V6, does that seem low? What mileage do you get? I saw one guy post 31mpg freeway. The car is new and now has about 2100 miles. Curious because I don't ride it hard.

I just drove from houston texas to saint louis missouri, cruise control 75mpg, round trip, and i got 23.5mpg. I have 636whp, and an Iron blocked LSX engine. Id say you should be getting way more than that.

PS, my milage is calculated at the pump, not on the inaccurate readout in the car.
casvg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #65
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by casvg5 View Post
I just drove from houston texas to saint louis missouri, cruise control 75mpg, round trip, and i got 23.5mpg. I have 636whp, and an Iron blocked LSX engine. Id say you should be getting way more than that.

PS, my milage is calculated at the pump, not on the inaccurate readout in the car.
Actually if you really think about it, calculating at the pump is more inacurrate than the readout. Many factors can affect the amount of gas you actually put in the tank. The computer on the car figures the actual amount used. Much more accurately than you can fill a car exactly to the same point every time. If your car is not sitting completely level, if you use a different pump each time, if the temperature has changed since the last time you filled up all have an effect on the amount you will be putting in the tank. Gas expands and contracts with temperature changes meaning if you fill up when it is cold it will take more to fill the tank than when it is hot out. Also you can actually get a air lock to where you can't get the car full. Because of those factors you can never be sure you got the car filled to the same level as the last tank. But your computer figures it out the same exact way every mile you drive. Even if it wasn't as accurate as you feel it should be it will be more consistent.
I worked for 32 years in instrumentation and engineering and know you could never be as accurate manually figuring as the flow calculation the computer in your car makes. So I would trust the readout more than a manual calculation.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 09-18-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #66
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Im getting about 21 also.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #67
mmartian

Drives: 2011 Camaro XM Appearance Package
See you really need average speed when worried about mpg.

My average speed is 18 miles per hour, my mpg is 14
Cobra XRS-9965 Radar Detector
Rider Graphix XM hood spears
Big Worm Vinyl for bowties
Emblem pros XM Badges/Emblems
Airaid Cold Air Intake

NEXT UP: Interior LED conversion/footwell lights
ON DECK: Engine Cover
mmartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #68
CSM088

Drives: 1981 Z28 // 2010 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Actually if you really think about it, calculating at the pump is more inacurrate than the readout. Many factors can affect the amount of gas you actually put in the tank. The computer on the car figures the actual amount used. Much more accurately than you can fill a car exactly to the same point every time. If your car is not sitting completely level, if you use a different pump each time, if the temperature has changed since the last time you filled up all have an effect on the amount you will be putting in the tank. Gas expands and contracts with temperature changes meaning if you fill up when it is cold it will take more to fill the tank than when it is hot out. Also you can actually get a air lock to where you can't get the car full. Because of those factors you can never be sure you got the car filled to the same level as the last tank. But your computer figures it out the same exact way every mile you drive. Even if it wasn't as accurate as you feel it should be it will be more consistent.
I worked for 32 years in instrumentation and engineering and know you could never be as accurate manually figuring as the flow calculation the computer in your car makes. So I would trust the readout more than a manual calculation.
Can't you just set the trip odometer, take a reading at your next fill-up, and divide that reading by the number of gallons you fill into the tank (as measured by the pump)? The volume readout is always corrected to the same temperature at every pump I've been too (15C in Canada).

...also an engineer but I don't think we need to stamp this one .
CSM088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #69
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSM088 View Post
Can't you just set the trip odometer, take a reading at your next fill-up, and divide that reading by the number of gallons you fill into the tank (as measured by the pump)? The volume readout is always corrected to the same temperature at every pump I've been too (15C in Canada).

...also an engineer but I don't think we need to stamp this one .
You miss understood what I was saying, your gas in the tank is subject to temperature changes. Have you ever noticed sometimes when you park your car in the afternoon you notice your fuel level and the next morning when you get in your gauge shows a different level? Even if the fuel pump is temperature compensated your gas tank is not. So depending on what temperature you fill your tank at could affect how much you put in. Also as you may have noticed the shutoff on some pumps are more sensitive than others and could shut off sooner. Too many things can affect how you fill the tank that will cause errors in manual calculations. Like I said you can never be sure you filled the tank exactly the same every time.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 09-18-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #70
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Drives: '17 Civic SI + '04 SVT Lightning
I was averaging an even 26 when babying it and then 25.5 driving like my normal self. But recently I started using tap-shift because it's more fun to drive and my average went down to 24.4 the past two weeks, lol.

Last edited by Emig5m; 09-19-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Emig5m is offline   Reply With Quote