Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Falkon
Lets Ride

Drives: victory red with black racing strip
Big Decision

So next month my re enlistment window open I have another opportunity to serve this Nation, I have been the military 7yrs in which two with the Navy Reserve. And I just hit my 5th year with the Army I am a Sergeant (E5), and in the Army eyes I am fast tracking because I made SGT in 3yrs and soon will be wearing E6 rank. So my decision is should I stay in or get out, I mean the Army is Easy and it’s a stable career but I am getting tired of the daily bull crap that comes with serving your country. And I am not talking about war, it the daily and weekly stuff, So a question to all of you who care to share is how is it on the outside, are you guys finding it hard to survive on the outside. Is it really that competitive out there for a career because the army uses a lot of scare tactics to keep you in? I mean I will get out as a war veteran with a degree in computers and a secret clearance I should fare well in a major city right?

Also I am installing my Injen CAI today
Old 09-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
2010SS2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Jobs are tough but so is serving our country! I'm sure with a degree in computer science or what ever it is in, you should be able to find something that would atleast cover military income or better!

Thanks for your service and sacrifice and good luck with your future!
2010SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
camaroRND2

Drives: IBM 2SS/RS 6sp.
stay in i was in your boat 7 months ago in Africa and i spent 2 months looking for a job that paid close to what i was making in the Air Force and couldnt find anything with my skills that wasnt going to be sending me right back over seas so i reenlisted tax free over seas and got my bonus tax free and am on my way this week to go back over seas and have dome more fun. JOB SECURITY!!!!!!!!!!!
camaroRND2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
mmartian

Drives: 2011 Camaro XM Appearance Package
I was in the air force from 86-90 (until my daughter was born) I have a GREAT job with the university of maryland now but even now I still keep thinking about how I could have retired 6 years ago.

I just made E-5 and I was offered a step to E-6 to stay in. I turned it down to get a chance at the outside.

Cobra XRS-9965 Radar Detector
Rider Graphix XM hood spears
Big Worm Vinyl for bowties
Emblem pros XM Badges/Emblems
Airaid Cold Air Intake

NEXT UP: Interior LED conversion/footwell lights
ON DECK: Engine Cover
mmartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Every job has crap you are not going to like. I have the best job in the world but there are things about it that drive me nuts. With the economy the way it is, unless you have a skill set that is in high demand you will be hard pressed to make the kind of living the military provides. Keep in mind you are 1/3 of the way to retirement. I have been out for almost 7 years now but if I had not gotten injured I would have stayed.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
lurker

Drives: 2013 Challenger SXT Redline
They're going to pay you a lot of money for waking up the rest of your life if you go to retirement. Look up the retirement $$ for an E-7 (for instance) that retires the very first day they're eligible. Then do the math. Think house and car payment with no worries before you ever hit a lick at another job. Yeah, the bullshit gets old... and it seems to be getting worse as time goes on... but there just aren't many better retirement plans out there.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
5cents
Dave

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS - Black/CGM Stripes
First of all "thank you for your service." There must be something that you liked about the military BS that kept you in for 7 years. Landing a good paying job in civilian life, even with a degree, is no automatic "given". There are so many people, with degrees nowdays, competeing for fewer jobs. Maybe things will turn around after the presidential election in November, but I wouldn't count on it. If I were you, I'd re-enlist for another 4 now and hopefully things will get better by the time it's time to re-enlist again.
5cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
Grey Ghost

Drives: 2013 HWSE 2SS
I would stay in until retirement. As has been said every job has its positives and negatives.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
You all are forgetting how the military likes to "push people out" before retirement age. Just happened to one of my cousins, another 4yrs and he could have retired.

Best bet is to start sending out resumes now and see if you get any hits. Call a headhunter (job recruiter) and see what they say. Make sure headhunter is paid for by employers not you!! They will tell you anything to get your $$ and then run. But one who works for the employer gets paid when you get the job and a % of what your gross pay is so it is in their best interest to get you a good job.

Good luck.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
JustCraig

Drives: 07 Super Bee #587 & 07 Tahoe
I was at a similar crossroads, 10 years ago now. I had a little over 8 years in the Navy, made AT1(E6), and my enlistment window approached. So I played it safe. I talked to the detailer, got a cake set of orders to Italy, and began my job search. Turned out I found a good job, so I seperated and went civilian. Point is, explore the civilian option, but keep a backup plan.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
I almost got lured out at the ten year point--disappointed with military pay in the late '70s and enamored with the potential for higher salaries on the outside. Ultimately, job satisfaction won out and I stayed in. Ten years later I was selected for E-9 while the job I almost separated for was no longer in existence. Fortuitous? Maybe. I retired after 26.5 years; the only regret is not staying to 30. You reach a point where you can begin making a positive difference in the lives of the Soldiers, Sailors, Marines or Airmen that you serve with--and that is much more rewarding than anything I have subsequently encountered. To borrow an old Army phrase--Be all that you can be, and then teach others what you have learned. You'll benefit, they'll benefit, and our nation will benefit. Thanks for all you have done and all you continue to do. Sempr Fi; Aim High. God bless you.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #12
Neumatic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Atleast you have some time to think it over some more. My re-enlistment window closes this month, however I have only been in for 3 years (3 1/2 year contract). I have been saying I would get out for a while now but I never truly came to a solid decision until a couple months ago. There is no denying that the Army is an easy job, however at the same time it can be one of the hardest jobs. I really do love the Army itself, but like you said all the bullshit(and stupid people) absolutely ruin it for me. Your also right about it being the daily/weekly things, the deployment for me is what I enjoyed most about my time in the Army. Of course it has its draw backs due to being away from your wife, kids, family, ect. along with the occasional close calls.

However while I may not be staying in, I shake the hand of every soldier that re-enlists and give them my good graces and thank them. With out soldiers like them the Army, military and the US would not be the same. No matter where life takes me after my service I will always be proud that I served my country. What ever your decision ends up being I want to thank you from one soldier to another for serving our country. The decision you will make in the next year is not an easy one, but I am confident with how you have quickly progressed through your career so far that no matter what you decide to do you will succeed.

“The soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war.” Douglas MacArthur
Neumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #13
2xSSRS

Drives: 2017 SS Black on Black A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCraig View Post
I was at a similar crossroads, 10 years ago now. I had a little over 8 years in the Navy, made AT1(E6), and my enlistment window approached. So I played it safe. I talked to the detailer, got a cake set of orders to Italy, and began my job search. Turned out I found a good job, so I seperated and went civilian. Point is, explore the civilian option, but keep a backup plan.
Trust me. Every job on the outside has BS you have to put up with. The job market is not so good right now. I spent time with the USMC. Loved my job, but got out anyway. Wish I would have stayed in. Could have retired by now. But that's another story. I agree with the above. Send out some feelers and keep a plan B.
Lastly, Thanks for your service.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
mmartian

Drives: 2011 Camaro XM Appearance Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post
You all are forgetting how the military likes to "push people out" before retirement age. Just happened to one of my cousins, another 4yrs and he could have retired.

Best bet is to start sending out resumes now and see if you get any hits. Call a headhunter (job recruiter) and see what they say. Make sure headhunter is paid for by employers not you!! They will tell you anything to get your $$ and then run. But one who works for the employer gets paid when you get the job and a % of what your gross pay is so it is in their best interest to get you a good job.

Good luck.
Growing up in a military family I have only known one person pushed out before retirement and that was because he failed a drug test. Everyone else left because they retired or took an offer for an early out (and they got paid)
Cobra XRS-9965 Radar Detector
Rider Graphix XM hood spears
Big Worm Vinyl for bowties
Emblem pros XM Badges/Emblems
Airaid Cold Air Intake

NEXT UP: Interior LED conversion/footwell lights
ON DECK: Engine Cover
mmartian is offline   Reply With Quote